Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteiker View Post
Any experience with the Cayuse Pass tire? For use as a 100% road tire
I'm interested in these, too. And nobody has mentioned Michelins. I liked Pro4's, but how about the new Power tires?
Old 04-25-2019, 02:14 PM

Casing options

Have any of you tried both casing options for the Compass/Rene Herse tires? I'm looking at the Stampede Pass tires. I'll be doing both gravel and pavement on them and trying to decide which option to go with.

Will I miss out on the excellent qualities of these tires if I go standard casing? Will I be flat prone on gravel with the EL casing?

Currently riding Challenge Strada Biancas - they work pretty (other than initial mounting which is a bear) but curious to try the RH tires after hearing how nice they are.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Any experience with the Cayuse Pass tire? For use as a 100% road tire
I'd also be interested in hearing some experience with the Chinook Pass. My 28c Corsa G+ are getting worn out and will probably need replacement this summer.

Last edited by jtbadge; 04-25-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:29 PM

another option : Panaracer EVO3 Race L or Race A

I have been using the Panaracer EVO3 Race A as a winter training tire with great success. The grip is more inspiring than the Schwalbe ONE tubeless I run on my fairweather bikes.

I have also purchased a pair to the EVO3 Race L tires. Same compound, so same amazing grip but the carcass has more flex and is lighter as it uses a different material for flat protection. Both models in 28c measure under 30mm on an 18mm internal width rim.

The rolling resistance may be higher but these ride great and cornering is absolutely amazing. Soon there will be a EVO4 version in tubed and tubeless. Currently the clincher models are $30 each from the usual sources.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I'd also be interested in hearing some experience with the Chinook Pass. My 28c Corsa G+ are getting worn out and will probably need replacement this summer.
They’re the Best tires in the Compass lineup that I’ve used (28c, 32c, and 38). If veloflex corsas weren’t 1/3 the price the chinooks would be my go to. They last longer than Veloflex as well.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:54 PM

Good to hear, what casing have you used? How big did they mount on your rims?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Good to hear, what casing have you used? How big did they mount on your rims?

Thanks!
In case you were asking me, I used the Chinook Pass extralites. Not sure how big they mounted but they fit in my Moots RSL with no issues, so I would guess 28-29c given that the Moots at the time was rated to 27c.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 PM

I put Chinook Pass standards on my wife's Kirk, she loves them as much as the Grand Bois Cerf 28s on her Hampsten. She's the type of person who only mentions equipment when something's wrong, so a positive about tires is huge.

Upon initial installation on HED rims they were 26mm tall x 28mm wide if I remember correctly. I assume they've since grown a bit as all Compass tires do, but they do still clear the ENVE 2.0 on her Hampsten with a bit of room to spare.

The Grand Bois Cerf 28s are a little cheaper for what appears to be the same basic tire if that appeals to anyone. No EL casing option though.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Price View Post
Have any of you tried both casing options for the Compass/Rene Herse tires? I'm looking at the Stampede Pass tires. I'll be doing both gravel and pavement on them and trying to decide which option to go with.

Will I miss out on the excellent qualities of these tires if I go standard casing? Will I be flat prone on gravel with the EL casing?

Currently riding Challenge Strada Biancas - they work pretty (other than initial mounting which is a bear) but curious to try the RH tires after hearing how nice they are.
I think it comes down to how rough you are on your tires in general. If you get flats on a regular basis, stick with the normal casing. If flats are a rare thing for you, go for the extralights. That's of course assuming you are currently riding pretty normal tires, not some super armored commuting tanks.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
I think it comes down to how rough you are on your tires in general. If you get flats on a regular basis, stick with the normal casing. If flats are a rare thing for you, go for the extralights.
If the flats in question are punctures through the tread, I don't think it'll make a difference either way. The tread is the same on standards and extralights, the only difference is the casing fabric. The standard casing fabric is a bit thicker than the extralight casing, but it's still just a thin polyester fabric, and unlikely to accomplish much against a stabby thing that's already made it through the tread.

If the issue is sidewall abrasion or sidewall permeability, I could see it helping.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM

Thanks

Thanks Gents.

I think I'll give the ELs a try. I don't usually get sidewall cuts and the biggest issue with flats around here are goat heads.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:11 PM
Vendor

I picked up a pair of 700x38 Barlow Passes ELs. I think this will be the most I've ever spent on tires as in the past I've always managed to find nice tires on sale somewhere when I needed them. I've got high hopes for these suckers. They definitely feel very light and supple when handling. No rides yet, but they mounted fairly easily and straight onto a Grail rim. I measured them at 39mm.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I picked up a pair of 700x38 Barlow Passes ELs. I think this will be the most I've ever spent on tires as in the past I've always managed to find nice tires on sale somewhere when I needed them. I've got high hopes for these suckers. They definitely feel very light and supple when handling. No rides yet, but they mounted fairly easily and straight onto a Grail rim. I measured them at 39mm.
You running tubeless or tubed?
Old 04-26-2019, 05:33 PM

-1 for me.
I found their quality control really terrible. I owned about half dozen pair.
One (standard casing) had bumps on the carcass. The other one has sealant leacking from sidewall.

Having said that their customer service is amazing. They were v accommodating and helpful.

But their extralite compound is really delicate. Calling that tire a gravel tire its a big statement. I had soooo many side cut flats with the 35 and 38mm extralite i lost count...

Panaracer gravelking have a casing which is exactly in between the stand and extralite, are lighter, cost 50% and are much more durable...
Old 04-26-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Price View Post

Stampede Pass are undersized. Even with wide rims I doubt u will reach the stated 32mm.

If you do gravel I wouldn't buy the extralite. Sidewall cuts are going to happen. I was nervous when riding on gravel cause of side cuts..happened a lot of times...