Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len J View Post
Reading this thread had me remembering the process when Dave built my terra plane single speed..........

What a pleasure the process was.....

Then the e-mail......."bike back from paint........wow Karin says, Joe nailed it."

Then the call from my wife on a Sat morning ride 20 miles from home "there is. Bike box in the front hall"

Then the unwrapping.......

Then the ride!

That was 8 years ago, and that bike still makes me smile. Rode it 135 miles in 24 hours of Booty Indy last year. ........still awesome.

Thanks Dave.

Len

Thanks Len - always a pleasure to hear from you.

Enjoy the ride!

Dave
Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 AM

I don't recall where I read it, but a pro cyclist(s) said that a stiffer front end is the most noticeable difference between modern bikes and older steel bikes. My experience with my Colnago C50 and Parlee Z1x v. Derosa SLX and Serotta CSi suggests that's likely true.

Dave, do you concur with that assessment? Also, as a builder, how do you address it considering you work with steel?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
I don't recall where I read it, but a pro cyclist(s) said that a stiffer front end is the most noticeable difference between modern bikes and older steel bikes. My experience with my Colnago C50 and Parlee Z1x v. Derosa SLX and Serotta CSi suggests that's likely true.

Dave, do you concur with that assessment? Also, as a builder, how do you address it considering you work with steel?
Hey -

I think that could often be the case. Back in the day most steel bikes had old school standard diameters with 1" top tubes and 1 1/8" down tubes and this sized tube, no matter how thick the wall, isn't very stiff torsionally.

When road frames followed the trend set by the off road guys and started using 'OS' tubes things changed in a pretty big way. The OS stuff is only 1/8" larger in diameter but that 1/8" goes a very long way and makes the tubes much stiffer in both bending and torsion. The cool win-win deal with this is that it also allowed tubes to get thinner and be more than stiff enough for most riders. Add to this the advent of super strong steels like 953 and 853 pro and you can make the tubes even thinner and keep the weight low while having very good stiffness.

In the past few years some of us have started using XL sized tubes and these are again 1/8" larger (1 1/4" top and 1 3/8" down tubes) and the front end stiffness took another large step. These tubes are many times stiffer than the old school stuff while in many cases weighing less. Pretty cool.

Unlike some I do not think tube sizes are a 'one size fits all' deal. I use all three of the standard sizes (standard, OS and XL) depending on the size and weight of the rider and the end use of the bike. Because the bell curve is shaped like it is I use more OS than the other sizes but if the rider is small and light I will often use standard tubes and on the other hand if the rider is big, heavy, strong and aggressive I will use XL sized tubes...........if the shoes fits.......... What we are really looking to do is have the bike fit the rider in every way possible and tube diameter and wall are just one of the ways to make the bike work just right for a given rider.

Back to the bench to work with some OS tubes.

Thanks for the question.

dave
Old 04-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Once a decade.

This year, 2013, marks the tenth anniversary of the Kirk Frameworks Co. To celebrate this milestone I will be offering a limited edition of 10th Anniversary specials. The production of these special 10th Anniversary Specials will be limited to ten bikes in total and once these ten are sold no more orders will be taken for this model.

The 10th Anniversary Specials will be unique versions of the JK Special lugged road race bike and will be equipped with the curved Terraplane seat stays. These framesets will be made to measure and will be built with many features unique to the project. The exact specifications are still being finalized - below is a list of the frameset’s features –

• 10th Anniversary paint scheme by Joe Bell
• 10th Anniversary Kirk graphics
• 10th Anniversary special lug shaping
• 10th Anniversary head badge
• 10th Anniversary front and rear dropouts
• 10th Anniversary brake bridge
• 10th Anniversary brass cable adjusters
• Includes painted to match stem
• Each frameset will be signed and numbered

At this point the final price is not 100% firm but I expect it to be about $5000 for the frame and fork set. None of the features that make this 10th Anniversary bike unique will ever be repeated. Di2/EPS internal wire routing is a no cost option. Special pricing will be available on my favored build kits based on top of the line Campagnolo, Shimano and Sram components.

I’m expecting to deliver these late in 2013 or early 2014 so they will no doubt be ready for the 2014 riding season.

I will be taking ten deposits only and making a list of names of those interested should someone in the queue need to give up their spot. Please contact me with any questions you might have and I’ll do my best to right back to you.

Thanks so much for all the support over the past ten years and here’s to the next ten!

Dave
406 586 3555
info@kirkframeworks.com
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM

deposit for #1 sent
Old 04-10-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiebaseball View Post
deposit for #1 sent
Thanks so much for the trust and business - it's very much appreciated.

FWIW - the serials numbers (1 - 10) will be chosen by first in line (based on deposit date) and working back from there. So the first guy gets his choice of number and then the next in line can choose from the remaining 9 and so on.

At this point there are 2 confirmed spots left and possibly a 3rd (waiting on payment).

Thanks for the support!

dave
Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
You still here?

I can remember back in the "day", early 2003, when I spent some time with Dave while he was designing my first custom. He said that he hoped that he would have enough business to build about 40 bikes a year. That was 10 years ago and I believe that there are many more than 400 Kirks circulating the roads and trails of our planet.

Dave, you've done yourself proud and made the cycling scene so much richer with your frames, talent, advice and your generosity to us in many ways. Personally I'm grateful for what you built for me and the time you spent helping me become a better cyclist. I hope that I'll be around for your 20th anniversary!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
I can remember back in the "day", early 2003, when I spent some time with Dave while he was designing my first custom. He said that he hoped that he would have enough business to build about 40 bikes a year. That was 10 years ago and I believe that there are many more than 400 Kirks circulating the roads and trails of our planet.

Dave, you've done yourself proud and made the cycling scene so much richer with your frames, talent, advice and your generosity to us in many ways. Personally I'm grateful for what you built for me and the time you spent helping me become a better cyclist. I hope that I'll be around for your 20th anniversary!
Thank you Sir - one never forgets their first and you sir were the first.

dave
Old 04-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Dave- congratulations on 10 years!
Your work is so nice and I am looking forward to your next 10-20-30 years worth of work.

Looking forward to seeing the 10 year bike....
Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 PM

Just a quick note of thanks to everyone for their interest. As of this time the 10 spots are spoken for and no more will be made available.

If you were interested in one of the bikes but feel you missed out please contact me and I'll keep your name handy should someone not be able to follow through with their order.

Thanks again. time for me to spend some deep time at the bench.

dave
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 PM

Those ten bikes lasted all of 12 hours before being snapped up.

It must be nice to be wanted, do you feel sexy Dave?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiebaseball View Post

Those ten bikes lasted all of 12 hours before being snapped up.

It must be nice to be wanted, do you feel sexy Dave?
Ummmm. No - not really. I feel tall and skinny and a bit awkward.

But thanks for the interest!!

dave
Old 04-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Vendor

Congrats on 10 yrs! My JKS has become my go-to-bike. I'm glad your 10th Anniversary models sold out so quick because I was having a tough time thinking of the explanation to the wife unit on why I needed one more last bike.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 AM

Congrats on 10 years, Dave. I really like to see someone carry out their dream, take a risk, and be successful. I've got a lot of respect for the way you do things - keep it going.
If I ever got a new frame, Kirk would be on the list. The only problem is Boston has so many excellent framebuilders.... ;-)
Murph
Old 04-16-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Congrats on 10 years, Dave. I really like to see someone carry out their dream, take a risk, and be successful. I've got a lot of respect for the way you do things - keep it going.
If I ever got a new frame, Kirk would be on the list. The only problem is Boston has so many excellent framebuilders.... ;-)
Murph
Thanks so much!

Dave