Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2007, 10:22 AM

Well, I was going to make my first post an answer to the question of how the "newbies" decided to take up cycling but this might be a good opportunity to get opinions from more erudite readers.

I am currently reading "Gideon's Spies" the secret history of the Mossad by Gordon Thomas with a Reginald Hill novel and the new Einstein bio on the table. I have been surprised by some of the revelations (presuming a level of accuaracy exists) regarding Israel and the Mossad's approach to relations with the US.

While I followed the Pollard fiasco at the time, I was unaware that Mossad shared this intelligence with the Russians allowing them to roll up some of our spy networks. (I was also unaware they recorded Clinton's phone calls to Lewinsky) Disappointed to learn they had the truck under surveillance that hit the Marine barracks in Lebanon but didn't warn us to "teach us a lesson." There are other explosive type revelations such as the alleged execution of media magnate Robert Maxwell.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:30 AM
JohnS

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman---an oldie but a goodie about the start of WWI. There aren't too many good female military historians, but she's one.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:55 AM
rangzen

books

Current: American Gospel - Jon Meacham
Up next: The Greatest Story Ever Sold: The Decline and Fall of Truth from 9/11 to Katrina - Frank Rich
Old 04-20-2007, 11:01 AM
JohnS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMH
I am currently reading "Gideon's Spies" the secret history of the Mossad by Gordon Thomas with a Reginald Hill novel and the new Einstein bio on the table. I have been surprised by some of the revelations (presuming a level of accuaracy exists) regarding Israel and the Mossad's approach to relations with the US.

While I followed the Pollard fiasco at the time, I was unaware that Mossad shared this intelligence with the Russians allowing them to roll up some of our spy networks. (I was also unaware they recorded Clinton's phone calls to Lewinsky) Disappointed to learn they had the truck under surveillance that hit the Marine barracks in Lebanon but didn't warn us to "teach us a lesson." There are other explosive type revelations such as the alleged execution of media magnate Robert Maxwell.
While I wasn't aware of all of this, it doesn't surprise me in the least. Remember, Israel is a sovereign nation whose goals are not always the same as ours. It is not the 51st state. Pre-1967, their main military suppliers were the UK and France. When they decided not to sell Israel any more military hardware, the Israelis were stuck. They decided then that they would always have alternate sources. That's why they kept open backchannel communications with South Africe and Iran, among others. With our turmoils and waffling now on the Mideast issues, I wouldn't be surprised if they are still spying on us, especially with the large influx of stubborn ex-Russian Jews that have emigrated.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:02 AM

books

Current: Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris

Up Next: The March, by E.L. Doctorow
Old 04-20-2007, 11:07 AM
the antiviper

Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy:

All the Pretty Horses

The Crossing

Cities of the Plain

...I'd say I'm about halfway through now.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:12 AM

I just finished re-reading a book called "Too Secret, Too Long" a non-fiction account of the MI5 and MI6 spy scandals, especially focussing on Philby, Burgess, McLean, Blunt and the mysterious "fifth man".

Now reading ( just pulled it off the shelf for a re-read) "Kelly". A biography of a fellow named Sean Kelly who rode a bike from time to time. Written probably 15 years ago by David Walsh.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:26 AM
acta non verba

my reading list

Capone: The Life and World...(Kobler); next up: Boyd: The Fighter Pilot...(Coram), then The Philadelphia Experiment: Project Invisibility (Moore), followed by RFK: A Candid Biography (Heymann). In between: any/all 'net sites regarding Majestic 12, Disclosure Project, Zero Point Energy, Element 115.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:33 AM
what's a little rust?

My most recent reads were "The Price of Power"--Seymour Hersh's account of Kissinger in the Nixon White House--and a book of Truman Capote's short stories.

Lately I'm leafing through New Yorkers and National G's and trying to decide on my next book.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00
Anything by Michael Crichton. Anyone read his newer book "Next"??
If you've never read his book "Travels", I highly recommend it.
I like Crichton also...I read "Next" a couple months ago....received for Xmas. It's good / interesting / different. Should make a good movie.

I found "State of Fear" very interesting.....

Most nights I am limited to Dr. Seuss and Richard Scarry....
Old 04-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Marron

Mixed Bag

The Nightmare Years (Shirer)
Flashman and the Redskins (MacDonald Fraser)
Native Seattle (Thrush)
Old 04-20-2007, 01:13 PM

Just finished Flashman and the Redskins, George MacDonald Fraser, and started Evan S. Connell's, Son of the Morning Star : Custer and the Little Big Horn.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:05 PM

Three Cups of Tea.

So far, I highly recommend it.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Cranky!

Current:

Mildly interesting.

Next:

Cormac McCarthy is Teh Man.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Slackasaurus Rex

"The Nasty Bits," Anthony Bourdain

"French Revolutions," Tim Moore

Lonely Planet Guide to France

Newsweek, Playboy, Outside

Last edited by BoulderGeek; 04-20-2007 at 10:10 PM.