Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Be aware of your TPMS -this can be a real pain when swapping tire rim combos. Some cars run off of the abs sensor, some have a signal from a battery powered device mounted in the air stem like my wife’s Subaru. This can be expensive, I was quoted $200 usd to re program wheels, this would be per season if I mounted winter tires on steelies.
That doesn't seem like it will be an issue, at least based on the small but of reading I just did. VW appears to use indirect TPMS based on the ABS wheel speed sensor. On newer cars, the infotainment system contains a page where you can reset things after tire changes. On older VWs, a button in the glove box does the trick.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2017, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the responses. Oddly enough, the thought of storing a set of tires/wheels in the garage seems to bother Ellen. Can't possibly have anything to do with the fact that we have perhaps ten bikes in the garage. Or that we continue to store a bunch of our adult sons' stuff. Seems like we have some further thinking to do.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
That doesn't seem like it will be an issue, at least based on the small but of reading I just did. VW appears to use indirect TPMS based on the ABS wheel speed sensor. On newer cars, the infotainment system contains a page where you can reset things after tire changes. On older VWs, a button in the glove box does the trick.

Correct, I just did this after getting a flat on my GSW 4Mo-S..easy...

I'd say get wheels/tires(TireRack)and swap yourself.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Administrator

depends on the kind of driving you primarily do for the optimal winter tire.

pretty much any dedicated winter tire is going to perform worlds better than an all-season (read "no season") tire.

but, if the driving is mainly at lower speeds, in the city, etc, look for a tire with heavier lugs or a standard winter tire. if the driving is mostly highway and lots of miles, look for a "performance winter" tire. they will ride quieter and last longer than regular big lug winter tires.

when i used to put heavy miles on my BMW, which i dont anymore, i was a huge fan of pirelli sotozero's for the winter. nice and quiet on the highway and lasted well. they give up some deeper snow traction, but it's worth it for the nicer ride.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:38 AM

There is no "all-season" substitute for winter tires in a cold, wet, slushy or snowy climate. Period.

I drive a VW GTI and when I made the switch the car went from a wild ride and scary handling to totally controlled and manageable.

VW dealers push this and if you stop by your dealership I'll bet they have wheel/tire combos on display and on sale right now. It's totally worth the peace of mind and drivability to make the investment in winter wheels.

I keep mine in plastic bags out in the back yard shed. I'm probably installing them this week.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:41 AM

add the wheels, too

No matter the car, we always pick up a second set of wheels (inclusive of any TPMS sensors) and run separate winter/summer wheels. Granted we're in VT so snow/ice is a potential factor for 4-5 months, but it's never felt like wasted money given the wear-and-tear that you save on each type of tire. Plus, this allows better tires for each purpose.

Like others have said, Nokian are tough to beat. We run Hakkas on everything...and ran a set of Nokian e-Tyres as summer-wheels on the Subaru and have been very happy with how they ride, too.
But a lot of manufacturers make good tires.

I have run other snows including the Michelin X-Ice mentioned. They were good, but not great. First season was fine, 2nd-4th I longed for Hakkas. But again, road conditions matter. The Michelin's had a good feel on dry and low-snow roads, but didn't compare when it was really sloppy/slushy. And NOTHING but studded tires work worth a hoot when there's ice on the roads.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:49 AM
bykhed

Check out the General Altimax RT43.

I had good luck with them in a few inches of snow, both brand new and with 30,000 highway miles on 'em.

I know it sounds counter intuitive, but turning off the traction control on my Jetta Sportwagen was just the ticket for snow and ice driving. That may help your GSW too.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Got the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80s on a 2014 Jetta SW two weeks ago through Tire rack (after following good discussions and advice in this forum). I live in the Midwest and havent't have a chance to try them on deep snow or ice yet, but they already are a big improvement from the original tires when temperatures are below freezing on dry roads. So far so good.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpil23 View Post
Got the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80s on a 2014 Jetta SW two weeks ago through Tire rack (after following good discussions and advice in this forum). I live in the Midwest and havent't have a chance to try them on deep snow or ice yet, but they already are a big improvement from the original tires when temperatures are below freezing on dry roads. So far so good.
Thanks. I knew this is a VW friendly crowd, so searched before posting, but didn't see anything immediately obvious. Maybe we should have a VW subforum.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:08 PM

i ran General Altimax Arctic on my TDI before they bought it back, just sold the steelies and snow tire set this week to a buddy with another VW model.
as others said, changed the behavior of the car in snow from not very good to very good.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:10 PM

There must be some forum dedicated to your car, join it and look for somebody selling some used wheels with snows. I both a set of 5 alloy wheels with snow having 50% wear for my Saab that way for $200. Normally one single alloy rim costs that much...
Old 11-19-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Michelin X-Ice. Really good non-studded winter tire. Nice and quiet too.

Can order from TireRack with wheels or just as tires. Have them mounted at your favorite shop (LAS, not LBS...)
This. Been running them for several years, and have been very happy with them.

And I didn't bother to get the pressure sensors installed in the spare wheels- just mentally ignore the warning light until I change back in the spring ;-)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:38 PM
cnighbor2

snow tires

I advised a friend that for his Volvo instead of remounting his snow tire each fall just buy a set of used Volvo rims and mount them once and be done with it
Mounting and demounting each fall and spring
He got the used rims had snow tires mounted and installed on his Volvo
Wait for it!
We didn't know a lot of Volvo rims in his size were defective Leakedair slowly
He went to go to work the next day One of the snow tires was near flat
got it fixed and off to work
Repeat for the other tire the next morning
Happened a few more times till they mentioned best to add a tube has these rims leak
Old 11-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post

It depends on the vehicle. My MkV GTI uses true ABS sensors in each wheel. There is no reset button. You can get new old stock sensors for $80/set. Programming was done by the tire store at no charge.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:04 PM

Some tire places will store a set of tires for you. We don't at our store (simply no room), but some other places will.

Often a tire place will do changeovers to snows for free. With us, starting this year, it's a $20 surcharge when you first buy the tires (to buy lifetime balance), but after that it's free changeovers vs paying about $60 for each changeover. Customers who already got their snows are grandfathered in (at our location).

I personally prefer having a second set of rims for snows. There's wear and tear in mounting/dismounting tires, risk for damage, and it's much quicker to just change wheels rather than tires. Think of two sets of clinchers for a bike, much easier to swap wheels than actually change tires.

With our 2010 JSW we had a second set of TPMS sensors. With our 2011 Golf they were wheel sensor based so no second set of sensors.

With WS80s we got 4 seasons out of a set of snows, then when they were a bit worn down we just left them on for the warm weather (as all seasons) and bought new winter tires the following fall.