Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Post Mod-ern

Gravel grinding at Mohonk-Minnewaska in Hudson Valley

I haven’t posted anything like this in a while, so I thought maybe I should give it a try again and do my best Velotel imitation. (Won’t come anywhere near equaling the Alps, but will do the best I can!)

Last month I headed down to this area to do some more exploring in the myriad carriage roads that wind through this area on the Shawangunk Ridge, which is between the Catskills and the Hudson River down near New Paltz, NY.

If you’ve never been there to ride, you really should try to get there if you’re within day or weekend trip distance. The ridge is separate from the Catskills, and has a series of glacial lakes along the ridge top. There’s spectacular cliffs, ravines, and views both east and west of the Hudson Valley and the Catskills, respectively. There are many, MANY miles of carriage roads that wind through the various public and private preserves that occupy the top of the ridge:
-Minnewaska State Park, NY state park ($10 per car day fee)
-Mohonk Preserve, private non-profit run preserve ($20 day use fee for bikes)
-Mohonk Mountain House, private for-profit resort ($21 weekday, $26 weekend day use fee)
-Sam’s Point Preserve, Open Space Institute (no fee)
I’ve ridden in Minnewaska several times and explored Mohonk Preserve on this ride, but no desire right now to hit the Mountain House property because of the fee there. If you’re willing to ride up the hill from Ellenville or several other lots, you can avoid the Minnewaska or Mohonk fee. I’m not sure how well the roads in Mohonk preserve or house are patrolled, though they have very official looking, vaguely threatening signs.

It’s not possible to shoot a bad picture here! At least, that’s my reaction after visiting the place half a dozen times on foot and bike. Absolutely stunning every season of the year. This time I stopped at the Mohonk Preserve visitor center, paid their $20 fee, then headed to the Trapps parking lot up on top. I think the $20 was worth it this time around—the guy in the visitor mapped out a ride for me that hit all the high points on roads I’d never been on before.

First I rode up the hill into Minnewaska and ate my lunch where the carriage road goes right by the foot of Awosting Falls, which had a surprising amount of water coming over it considering how little rain we’ve had lately. Then I headed back down and did the circuit the visitor center guy had given me. Except at the Lower Trapps Cliffs climbing area—world famous—I saw hardly a soul most of the time I was there. As the sun sank in late afternoon there was beautiful light all over, and sunset from the ridge top at Cope’s Lookout was spectacular. I encountered the couple you see in the photo sitting in the gazebo and they were nice enough to let me photograph them. I also ran into several other riders there, one of whom was on a very nice light blue steel Zank.

I ended up getting back to the car after dark, but it was so great riding along and seeing the softening glow of twilight through the trees. You could easily ride both days of the weekend and hardly do the same trail twice.

BBD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0004.jpg (105.9 KB, 520 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0069.jpg (97.5 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0096t.jpg (104.2 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0173t.jpg (69.5 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9583.JPG (90.4 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9621.jpg (135.7 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9682t.jpg (129.1 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9738.jpg (110.1 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9754.jpg (124.1 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9774.JPG (99.8 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9782.JPG (129.5 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9796.jpg (137.5 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9872.JPG (133.1 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9966.jpg (128.0 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9982.jpg (148.0 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg Lower Trails_screen_800.jpg (96.3 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg Upper Trails_800px.jpg (123.3 KB, 505 views)
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 11-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Post Mod-ern

Here it is in June . . .

. . . when the Mountain Laurel is all blooming. Flowers as far as the eye can see.

BBD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 2016_6741.jpg (150.2 KB, 500 views)
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 11-16-2017, 02:27 PM

Nice photos. It is a great place(s). In Mohonk Preserve there are sometimes people stationed asking for your pass but as long as you go fast enough you just fly by.
For even more gravel and trails you can connect easily to the Lundy preserve and Lippman park just down the hill on the west side.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:30 PM

Beautiful! I've lived most of my life less than 2 hours from there and have never been. I know, sad... But I've only recently started exploring dirt and gravel roads, and it's very high up on my list. Thanks for the excellent pictures.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:49 PM

Back in the 1970s the Mid Hudson Bicycle Club used to ride those carriage roads on our 27x1 1/4" tyred sport touring road bikes, and when we put on GEAR 74 in Poughkeepsie we had over 100 riders with bikes of all kinds on those roads. Back then "mountain bikes" and "gravel grinders" didn't exist, but we never had any trouble riding there. And yes, it was fabulous - and I'm happy to see it still is.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:09 PM
ZhugeLiang

Dave pal, excellent writeup and those pictures are outstanding, as usual.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:11 PM

I rode Minnewaska and Mohonk this summer - I was never stopped or asked for a permit. We parked in Minnewaska and paid the $10 fee, and that was it. We rode all the trails up around the Mountain house, and I even refilled my bottles in the bathrooms. That part, btw, was spectacularly beautiful. The people there clearly didn't want us around tho. There are no vending machines and few if any sports to get water otherwise, so come prepared. Probably the nicest gravel riding I've ever done. Also if you want a real challenge, start a the bottom at New Paltz and climb 2000ft+ up to the park on the road. May save the parking fee altogether..
Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Also if you want a real challenge, start a the bottom at New Paltz and climb 2000ft+ up to the park on the road. May save the parking fee altogether..
If I'm remembering right, we used to describe that as "A gruelling half hour up and two terrifying minutes going back down."
Old 11-16-2017, 05:28 PM

Thanks for that. I grew up in Poughkeepsie and often crossed over the river to go hiking with family and friends on that side, and later some trail running. Should be amazingly beautiful and fun on a bike that handles firm, small gravel.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:29 PM

Very nice pictures. I love that area.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:07 PM

Those are spectacular, BBD. Thank you for posting. The fees seem a little steep, but New York prices, I guess. BTW, why no pics of you in a spiffy kit? I haven't seen one of those in a long time, and we need one soon!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:31 PM

I'm only an hour or so away from New Paltz, and your write-up and pictures have me kicking myself that I don't just go up there every weekend. Thanks for the inspiration (and the beautiful photos, as always).

The fees seem pretty reasonable given how well-maintained the trail system is.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Great report Dave. We rode there several years ago, while friends did some rock climbing. Definitely need to make a return trip.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:16 PM

Wow nice shots Dave, I'm also a little ashamed to not have taken advantage of all the great riding so close to home. I absolutely will take a trip up next spring. Thanks for sharing the awesome pictures.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:58 PM

What a surprise to be surfing the Paceline Forum and come across your great pictures from the 'Gunks! I've been rock climbing there since 1966 and have walked the Undercliff Road hundreds of times. You are right, it's easy to take good pics there. Your shot of the rock climber is on a climb called Horseman, right at the Uberfall, the Gunks most popular hang-out spot.

Thanks for the visual treat!