Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The marijuana laws are just plain dumb but why was he pulled over? And why search his van? Think there’s more to this, imho, of course.
Yes, there is more to this. It's called civil forfeiture and the police make LOTS of money from it. Stop someone for speeding, broken tail lamp, bad lane change etc. and search the v3hicle to see if you can find anything that will allow you to seize the vehicle.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
The real issue is that under US law local Law enforcement agencies will get to keep the proceeds from cash seizures to fund their departments. It is well know that most people will accept the shake down because fighting it in court will cost more that what was taken. A lot of police go on a fishing trip and once in a while they catch a big one. Even though the person was not committing or intending to commit any crime. Perhaps they were looking for cash but found the THC candy instead and decided make a big deal out if it, for any number of unknown reasons.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/america...oney-1.2760736
A some years ago, a Vietnamese family had saved enough money to buy a second shrimp boat. They were bringing $14,000 cash to negotiate a buy when they were stopped. The police took the money claiming it was drug money and I don't know if they ever got their money back.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm View Post
Wow, this thread is a garbagepile of people trying to rationalize irrational, misapplication of laws.

And don't gimme that "law is the law" trash. Law is gendered, racialized, classed etc etc. Think for half a second and you'll come up with some ways in which the law is legally applied and makes *no* sense. Do I need to remind you how many Black folks are incarcerated in the States? Do you think that's an accident, a moral failing on the part of millions of individuals?

Amazing and disappointing to see this amount of dispassionate pearl-clutching against a very simple crowdfunding campaign.
Yes, the number of people who seem to think a charge just gets spit out of a computer is staggering. There's a thing called prosecutorial discretion...

Is crowdfunding legal fees that were avoidable in the first place a little bit stupid? Yes. Is that a good reason to give up on compassion for somebody in a legitimately tough spot?

Feel free not to give money to the guy, but don't kick him while he's down.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:12 AM

I just got around to reading this and it is too disproportional a battle not to give Sussman help.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:20 AM

I think I see part of the problem, a 420 friendly bike design

http://theradavist.com/tag/mars-cycles/

FWIW: You have to pay attention to local laws no matter how you feel about them ...and as a Pennsylvania resident, I consider Massachusetts and California to be flyover states
Old 11-20-2017, 01:57 PM

I've driven that stretch of I80 many times and that is a fast fast highway. It's posted 70mph but the average speed is closer to 80. It's interesting that there are many mentions of over aggressive policing. Having not been present, been in the courtroom, or even read the police report, I'd elect not to draw a conclusion.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:59 PM

On Casey Sussman's instagram today he posted something that indicates that the charges were dropped.

Which further reinforces the key issue, which was not that he was speeding (?) or had something illegal on him, but that the charge of felony trafficking was erroneous and unfounded.

So, good news.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 AM

Growing up next door (OH), I can vouch for this gereralization. I'm betting it was a state trooper, not local PD?

I went to school in CT and raced all over the midwest/NE a while back...crossed PA a bajillion times. Got pulled (speeding and/or light out) and searched more than once as a long-hair driving an out-of-state crappy car. Never anything to find, but sure...I have an hour to sit on the curb while you tear up my ****.

As NWA said so eloquently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
he was likely pulled over for speeding, as most people will drive way too fast across PA...because there is nothing worth driving slowly for in the middle of PA...unfortunately, the cops know this and they are ready/waiting.

why search his van? cause hes a young guy with tattoos with cali plates (maybe) in the middle of nowhere...surely he's up to no good and the cops dont have anything better to do.

thats what i am ASSUMING...i could be wrong of course but im willing to give casey the benefit of the doubt on this one, having dealt with my fair share of country-cops and their speed traps/boredom/etc.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:57 AM

I'm going to guess this has something to do with it:

"The Pennsylvania Department of Health is in the process of implementing the state’s Medical Marijuana Program, signed into law on April 17, 2016".
Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricEstlund View Post
I'm going to guess this has something to do with it:

"The Pennsylvania Department of Health is in the process of implementing the state’s Medical Marijuana Program, signed into law on April 17, 2016".
I did some quick googling. The requirements of a felony trafficking charge is that the person be found with 2+ lbs of marijuana. Sussman was found with 2 gummies. The cops confuses milligrams with pounds, and he was erroneously charged with something that carries a potential 5 year prison sentence.

i think that explains it even more.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Yup.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:32 AM

I whole heartedly believe that someone is stupid enough to confuse what a milligram is compared to pounds.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Vendor

Not to sound crass....But what happens to the 5K+ that's on that site now?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
Not to sound crass....But what happens to the 5K+ that's on that site now?
he probably uses it to pay his lawyer
Old 11-21-2017, 12:27 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
he probably uses it to pay his lawyer
which I would not be surprised is more than that.

he also lives in Cali so traveling fees, hotel fees, plenty of crap the guy has to pay for.