Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 08:03 AM
Riding Along

I have more than a few over the last 30+ years of road ridding. However, a more recent one comes to mind. For my 40th decide to head out to the French Alps for some riding. Based myself in Briançon and on my 1st ride did the Izorad loop. It was a perfect day weather wise and the route went through valleys, massive gorges and the last section went up and over the Izoard and back into Briançon.

It was truly one of those moments where there was not a single thing in the universe that I would rather be doing and the joy was pure and powerful. I was there and no where else beyond where I was and what I was doing existed. Upon my return to the place I rented I noticed that my face was really sore. It took me a few seconds to realize that it was sore because I spent the majority of the ride grinning like an idiot; literally. A lot of endorphins in my brain that day, a lot.

IMG_4299 (2).jpg

Last edited by Black Dog; 11-19-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:09 AM
aka RAEKWON

every bike camping trip I have done. THere haven't been many but all of them were amazing. I love ridding bikes but when you mix some friends, some camping, local fruit veggie stands, breakfast cooked on a $20 camping stove, its very memorable and amazing.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
It was truly one of those moments where there was not a single thing in the universe that I would rather be doing and the joy was pure and powerful.
This is philosophy. And poetry. I've had rides like this, too.

Probably preaching to the choir on a site like this, but I don't know another sport or activity where this kind of joy is to be had. Sometimes it's zen, sometimes it's a rush, sometimes it's pleasant, sometimes it's excruciating...and sometimes you get it all on the same ride.

I'm quite sure it has something to do with maintaining equilibrium as you glide through the air. It's elementally exhilarating to our reptilian brains. Robin Williams said it best: Cycling is the closest you can get to flying.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:44 PM
Byron

This past summer I enjoyed watching a couple groups of young kids flowing effortlessly on their bikes, just playing around. I found it most gratifying to see them at one with their bikes. Did not seem like anyone had to work at it one bit.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:07 PM

Too many memorable moments to mention over the 25 years of riding. If I was pressed to pick one it would be the first time I took my wife to Downieville CA. She rode first, second, and third divide with my friends and I. She was on such a high after the ride, don't think I have ever seen her so stoked and excited mtbing.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:13 PM
'97 Ti Legend

1. First time riding a fat bike on packed snow. So much fun.

2. Jump class at Whistler this past summer when I cleared a big tabletop and set my rental downhill bike down perfectly on the landing. Whoah!!! I was 48 years old.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:17 AM

Great thread. I grew up next to North Park in Pittsburgh. A guy my dad taught with left his bike in our shed so he could get out easier after work. He told me I could ride it anytime. For me that was everyday. First time on a fast bike, I'll never forget that feeling. It was a chrome Schwinn LeTour with no graphics. Also first time in riding shoes, they seemed so exotic, like they were made of ostrich leather or something. Never looked back...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Letour.jpg (96.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Sidi.jpg (35.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:46 AM

I got interested in cycling a long time ago when I was 14. I always enjoyed riding as a kid, but this was the point when I discovered that you could actually GO somewhere. I ran track and cross country in high school, so I was also interested in making the bike move. There were not a lot of cyclists in my area, and this was the time period after the "bike boom"...and the boom ended very abruptly...One day I was out riding and a rider came up from behind me at a good clip. As he passed by he indicated for me to get on his wheel, which I did. He was a strong rider, stronger than any that I had ever encountered. he slowed his pace to keep me attached and gave instructions to me about which side to be on to take advantage of his draft in a crosswind etc. This went on for about 10 miles or so and as it was a really hot day we stopped at a store for a drink. While stopped he talked to me about racing and encouraged me to look into it, which I did. In any event, I will never forget the time that rider spent helping out the "new kid"...and he was definitely an influence in increasing my interest in the sport which is as great as ever 40 years later. As a bit of an aside, he was riding a nice Peugeot (I know now a PY10). At the time, I assumed that all good bikes were "fully Campy" as they said in the day...His was fully French. I soon discovered that Thevenet's bike was similar and a fetish for French equipment also began on that day....
Old 11-20-2017, 09:17 AM

as a new cyclist living in El Paso, TX in the mid-70s, one of my most memorable rides was a not-so-well-planned solo adventure.

loaded my recently-purchased Motobecane Grand Touring (a college grad present to myself) in the beater Datsun truck and drove east for an hour to a state park which featured a large granite formation that was an Apache stronghold bitd.

at the entrance to the park, I kitted up (cut-off levi shorts, fluorescent green Adidas running shoes, some crochet-backed gloves), packed some edibles in the Blackburn handlebar bag, and departed.

the ride began with several miles of challenging climbs into the Hueco Mountains...vividly recall the day...sunny, intense cloudless blue skies, vistas that went forever. and except for my exhalations and the occasional sounds of cactus wrens (my favorite bird call), there was absolute silence. so exhilarating!

once thru the climbs and up on the plateau, there was a completely empty highway stretching miles to the horizon. a half-hour of pedaling brought me to a Border Patrol checkpoint...after stating my citizenship, had an short chat with the two agents who were pretty convinced I was a lunatic for being in the middle of nowhere on a bike.

left the checkpoint, held a brisk pace and rode on reveling in the feeling of total freedom...no responsibilities, no worries of any kind...a fabulous sensation. felt like I could ride forever...

finally decided it was time to consider turning around...and as soon as I did, encountered a headwind that would gain strength with every pedal stroke for the next few hours.

my previously 'sporty' speed instantly dropped to single digits and a tortuous grind ensued for what seemed like an eternity. some of the climbs that I previously attacked with gusto were simply brutal.

finally reached my truck and collapsed in a heap...legs were destroyed, feet were numb, felt nauseous, and had a bloody crotch from the cut-off shorts. felt like crying, but was too tired...

best of times, worst of times...but, it's a ride I'll always remember.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:04 PM

I think this is the first time I read every post in a thread. Awesome memories. Thank you for sharing.

For me, one of many that sticks out is my first bike. It was white bike with one training wheel bought used from the gypsies in Eastern Europe. I remember being out in this open air market with my mom haggling over the price of the bike. Once I learned to ride it, I rode that thing all over the village with friends, and we even took the bikes swimming. There's a dirt bank on a river there, probably an 8 foot drop down to the water. We'd sprint the bikes up to full speed and ride right of the bank, then drag the bikes back up and repeat.
Latest cool experience was taking my 6 year old son on a 10 mile bike ride on his birthday. We took it easy, stopped for breaks, saw cars in the distance, and he said, "Look cars." I said, "Yup, that's the highway." Looking at the two lane road we were on, he commented "Does that mean we are on the low way?"