Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 10:32 AM

Computrainer VS Kickr

My wife and I have owned two computrainers for the last five years and for the most part enjoyed using them. The one feature that we used and liked a lot was the Spin Scan where you can get a visual of our pedal stroke. Things we did not like was how tempermental the system could be, albeit we were using an older laptop. We also grew tired of the very dated graphics.

Recently the laptop that we were using died and we are considering whether it makes sense to purchase a new or used desktop and continue with the computrainer or move to the Kickr or in our case two Kickr's. I should also point out that we use the trainers in a studio has really poor internet so using any internet based APP wont work.

Thoughts or suggestions....especially from past Computrainer users.

Pat Mc
Old 11-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Evil Genius

I owned a Computrainer for YEARS, but once I switched to the Kickr, I bought TWO of them (one for the office workout room), and I have not looked back. Admittedly, my own research has led me to be highly sceptical of the necessity of Spin Scan and other "pedaling circles" techniques, so I felt no pain about moving from CT to Kickr. Your mileage may vary, if that's important to you.
I decided that I really wanted something easy and fun to ride, yet still accurate enough for good power-based training, and the Kickr had it in spades.

Things better about the Kickr:

1. Ease of setup
2. No more slipping trainer tires
3. Compatible with just about EVERY software imaginable
4. Wildly portable
5. Works on your computer or cellphone...just WORKS
6. Bluetooth or ANT+
7. More stable
8. Better flywheel
9. Less expensive

I use TrainerRoad predominantly, but have enjoyed the Sufferfest stuff and Zwift as well. I am unfamiliar with many other apps out there, and all the ones I use DO rely a bit on Internet coverage to download and store programs (though once you've downloaded some plans from TR, I don't think you're required to maintain a connection). Still, having that ability makes it possible to synch between my two trainer setups.

Suffice it to say, I really cannot speak highly enough about the enjoyment and support I've received from Wahoo, and now I own several of their products, all of which have been excellent.

Last edited by Michael Maddox; 11-16-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:14 PM

Disclaimer: I have used neither product.

However, at the beginning of the year, RacerMate announced they would no longer produce the Computrainer. Spare parts will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/02/...roduction.html).

Thus, it might make sense to start afresh with something like a Kickr, which will likely be supported for quite a while.

$0.02.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:53 PM

Definitely, a current generation Kickr. No comparison.

And as pointed out, the CT is no longer being made so you won't have any support there.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:56 PM

Kickr. I do not miss my Computrainer at all. Even if you can find a deal on a used one, the thing is too much work. The Kickr just works and has a good feel for an indoor trainer, and I like having a variety of software to use.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:05 PM

All set for winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.jpg (80.6 KB, 142 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 02:33 PM

^^^that's a great looking setup. so simple.

how do you set up the kickr to display whatever you want to look at (zwift, videos, etc) on a big screen? do you need a dedicated pc to do that?
Old 11-16-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmsj21 View Post
My wife and I have owned two computrainers for the last five years and for the most part enjoyed using them. The one feature that we used and liked a lot was the Spin Scan where you can get a visual of our pedal stroke. Things we did not like was how tempermental the system could be, albeit we were using an older laptop. We also grew tired of the very dated graphics.

Recently the laptop that we were using died and we are considering whether it makes sense to purchase a new or used desktop and continue with the computrainer or move to the Kickr or in our case two Kickr's. I should also point out that we use the trainers in a studio has really poor internet so using any internet based APP wont work.

Thoughts or suggestions....especially from past Computrainer users.

Pat Mc

It may make sense to replace your laptop now, and continue to using the Computrainer hardware with Zwift (you each will need a PC to ride zwift together) or Ergvideos or other software. The Racemate stuff, including the newer RacermateOne, was never good. The Computrainer hardware is bombproof and can last for decades however. I have two, one that is probably 15 years old. As a smart trainer, Computrainers work very well. The only thing missing is wireless connectivity, so you have to use a PC, and an iPad or Apple TV is not an option.

I just got a nice 17” Alienware machine from the Dell outlet for my wife for a reasonable price and it works great with zwift.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:32 PM

I used computrainers for a number of years and added a Kickr Snap last year so we could use them at the same time (Wife and I). I thought the Snap was a nice but still had the rear wheel interface.

This year I sold off both the wheel on trainers and went with two direct drives and am super happy with the results. I didn't do Kickrs but would have if I could have gotten a deal at the time. Ended up with a Neo and Direto, both are great.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:26 PM
D.Bordewisch

Having used both. The Computrainer was the best. However the as mentioned above the company has effectively closed. If you are interested in Zwift, Trainer Road, and give Rouvy a look, buy a Wahoo Kickr. The Kickr is just so easy to use out of the box. Can be used with your smart phone and the free Wahoo app. Ready to ride in minutes. No more trainer tires, wheel slipping, mystry flats. The only challenge might be the need to readjust your derailleur. Also no more blocks under the front wheel. To the weak internet consider on of those outlet mounted Wifi boosters. Then you can go online and have at it.

Last three things consider a Cyclops Hammer made in USA. An equal to the Kickr.

Rouvy, VR Trainer, as a way to ride and do workouts.

DcRainmaker go to his site if you want to know everything about every smart trainer. Plus one can join Clever Training and get discount code on trainers.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:54 PM

The Kickr used to be kind of clunky with Zwift, requiring a complicated connection Mac to TV, but now I use the Zwift mobile app and mirror it to my Apple TV from my iPad. Not sure what the equivalent would be for a PC but there has to be something similar if you’re not a Mac person. Even if not still worth the price of an Apple TV if you’re an iPad or iPhone user.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
The Kickr used to be kind of clunky with Zwift, requiring a complicated connection Mac to TV, but now I use the Zwift mobile app and mirror it to my Apple TV from my iPad. Not sure what the equivalent would be for a PC but there has to be something similar if you’re not a Mac person. Even if not still worth the price of an Apple TV if you’re an iPad or iPhone user.
The cheapest and easiest thing to do is use an Apple lightning-to-hdmi cable for a wired connection to the tv. Perfect.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:34 PM

OK...OP here with some comments. I spent some time on the DC Rainmaker site and it appears as if there are two questions that I need to answer:

* What hardware (trainer) do I want to use?

* What software/app do I want to use?

Ideally I would like to stay with or at least try to use my two existing Computrainers. While Racermate One indeed is old and very antiquated software, the Computrainer hardware is nothing if not indestructible. So for now, I would like to try and go that route and not make a $2,000 expenditure for two Kickr's.

For software/app, I have not really come to any conclusions. Certainly my choices are more limited if I try to stay with Computrainer hardware. What I am looking for in apps/software is; on the road videos that simulate outdoor riding, while providing a workout that can be quantified (ie average watts etc). I also ride with my wife which complicates things further.

One thing now appears certain: I need to replace my aging PC with something more robust to handle gaming type requirements. I would like to stay away from Apple solutions.

Also keep in mind that I do not have a strong internet signal other than for downloads etc.

Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:04 PM

Computrainer

I've had my Computrainer since 1996 and I just keep using it. I did replace the load generator in 2009 but just to upgrade.

The Computrainer works well with both Zwift and Trainerroad. The last couple of years I've only used it with Zwift. I ride with a PC most of the time. Tonight I used my Mac laptop. The wired connection is pretty simple for my situation.

This is the 1st year I've felt the Computrainer power numbers seem low with Zwift. I'm old and coming off back surgery so I'm not sure what to think. Tonight for the first time I used the Computrainer for the resistance and my left power pedal for the power input. The right pedal was paired for cadence.

If I didn't own the Computrainer I'd buy a KickR in a second. I just don't want to spend the money.

I haven't had much trouble with the rear tire. Prior to the new load generator I had zero problems. With the new load generator I've had some flats. I've never had any tire slippage.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmsj21 View Post
OK...OP here with some comments. I spent some time on the DC Rainmaker site and it appears as if there are two questions that I need to answer:

* What hardware (trainer) do I want to use?

* What software/app do I want to use?

Ideally I would like to stay with or at least try to use my two existing Computrainers. While Racermate One indeed is old and very antiquated software, the Computrainer hardware is nothing if not indestructible. So for now, I would like to try and go that route and not make a $2,000 expenditure for two Kickr's.

For software/app, I have not really come to any conclusions. Certainly my choices are more limited if I try to stay with Computrainer hardware. What I am looking for in apps/software is; on the road videos that simulate outdoor riding, while providing a workout that can be quantified (ie average watts etc). I also ride with my wife which complicates things further.

One thing now appears certain: I need to replace my aging PC with something more robust to handle gaming type requirements. I would like to stay away from Apple solutions.

Also keep in mind that I do not have a strong internet signal other than for downloads etc.

Thoughts?
You don’t need to select only software package. I have Zwift, Ergvideo and Racermate One and the legacy Computrainer Real Course Video player and can elect which I want to use. I use Zwift the most now, and Ergvideos sometimes. I don’t use the Racermate stuff at all.

Take a look at Ergvideos. https://ergvideo.com. They put your Computrainer into Erg mode, and when you ride with your wife, you can do the same workouts together with both Computrainers plugged into your one PC. Resistance is tuned to your individual FTPs. I prefer Zwift, but since you and your wife can’t use Zwift at the same time in a single PC, Ergvideos might be a good choice for joint workouts.

Last edited by djg21; 11-16-2017 at 11:08 PM.