Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 PM

Hollowgram and 1x

Maybe my google-fu is terrible, but I can’t seem to find any 1x chainring options for a cannondale hollowgram si for road. The biggest I see is 34T, but was hoping to find something 50+.

Does anyone by chance know of any options?
Old 11-15-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_h View Post
Maybe my google-fu is terrible, but I can’t seem to find any 1x chainring options for a cannondale hollowgram si for road. The biggest I see is 34T, but was hoping to find something 50+.

Maybe We (I think they stop at 42t though), and I thought Cannondale had them on some factory bikes (Force1 SuperSix Evo Disc) but I don't know that they advertise them for sale individually. I'd check with your local shop..
Old 11-15-2017, 10:55 PM

Direct Mount or Standard Spider?

Direct mount all I could find was up to a 42t from

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...nd-road-offset

or 44t

http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Can...44_p_6435.html

If its a 110 or 130 bcd spider that should open up a lot more options right?

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...oss-chainrings

or any other 1x road ring with the appropriate bcd
Old 11-16-2017, 05:38 AM

Garbaruk will make you one if you ask:

http://garbaruk.com/products/chainri...ect-mount.html

I have 2 of his and like them a lot.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:47 AM

Chainrings

Quote:

I run 1x on 3 of my bikes, I think I have a 50T NW on one, but in general finding chainrings of that size is difficult. The one I have is a Rotor, but I have seen a couple of websites that offer chainrings up to about a 50, but above that is highly unlikely. There was a post yesterday where someone was looking for a NW chainring and there was a link to a company that makes "custom" chainrings, that might be the solution.

Honestly, I have a bike with a 46T and for the most part I do not find that I am "running out of gear" or spinning out (except on descents), I suggest you try something like that before you spend the $$ and find that its only "marginally" better.

The website for the custom chainring is www.warhawkindustries.com

Ray
Old 11-16-2017, 08:21 AM

I would really try going to your Cannondale dealer and asking them what they can get from the dealer parts catalog..

They offered an OPI ring on the Caad12 force disc that was a 50t narrow wide.. (I was wrong thinking it was a SuperSix Evo Disc previously.

http://www.cannondale.com/Internatio...e-a146b8af79b9
Old 11-16-2017, 09:08 PM

Thanks all. Checking the custom links and will swing by the cannon dale dealer and see what they might be able to get.

Yes, really need over 50. Currently running 52 and 11-23 and I’m spinning out more than I’d like on the flatter courses.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:34 PM

Still on the list of errands to stop by and see about possibly getting the ring that is stock on that CAAD, but another idea occurred to me.

Would it be a terrible idea to simply run the normal spidering (2 rings), but pull off the cable, FD, and add a chain catcher?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Still on the list of errands to stop by and see about possibly getting the ring that is stock on that CAAD, but another idea occurred to me.

Would it be a terrible idea to simply run the normal spidering (2 rings), but pull off the cable, FD, and add a chain catcher?
I think you might be making a bit of a mistake. You are not running a clutch RD and I suppose not a NW chainring so its likely you will drop a chain. If I was going to do what you are suggesting I would at least leave the chain catcher so you dont bugger up the frame if you drop a chain.

Last edited by Bentley; 11-21-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I think you might be making a bit of a mistake. You are not running a clutch RD and I suppose not a NW chainring so its likely you will drop a chain. If I was going to do what you are suggesting I would at least leave the chain catcher so you dont bugger up the frame if you drop a chain.
Yes, the idea would be to add a chain catcher and basically use that instead of a FD since I wouldn't have a NW chainring or clutch RD.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, the idea would be to add a chain catcher and basically use that instead of a FD since I wouldn't have a NW chainring or clutch RD.
Just don't be surprised if you drop a chain. I've found that the SRAM RDs have pretty strong spring so with a NW chainring seems to work fine, but I put a clutch derailleur on one bike, its way better.

I would add that I would really do some thinking about chainring /cassette selection. I run a 50/11-28 and I tend to not have a low enough gear for some climbs. Of course I am an old guy so that don't help.

Ray

Last edited by Bentley; 11-21-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-21-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Just don't be surprised if you drop a chain. I've found that the SRAM RDs have pretty string spring so with a NW chainring seems to work fine, but I put a cluth derailleur on one bike, its way better.

I would add that I would really do some thinking about chainring /cassette selection. I run a 50/11-28 and I tend to not have a low enough gear for some climbs. Of course I am an old guy so that don't help.

Ray
Okay, thanks. I'll have to consider the clutch, but never was a huge fan of the weight penalty. (But I wouldn't be a huge fan of a DNF or carbon repair job)

As for gearing, on the current setup (not this project) I have been running a standard 53 on the front and 11-23 in the back. Granted, I don't use this setup for 5k+ climbs, but it's been fine for me for anything sub several minutes.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Okay, thanks. I'll have to consider the clutch, but never was a huge fan of the weight penalty. (But I wouldn't be a huge fan of a DNF or carbon repair job)

As for gearing, on the current setup (not this project) I have been running a standard 53 on the front and 11-23 in the back. Granted, I don't use this setup for 5k+ climbs, but it's been fine for me for anything sub several minutes.
I would worry about steep climbs over higher climbs. I'm 60 so is hard to spin up a hill with a steep grade with a 50/25. I think you lose little with a 46 and go to at least a 32, my thought YMMV.