Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 06:06 AM

As someone who frequently drags a trailer full of dog on the road (they total 130# now), there's NFW I'd consider towing anything on a single speed, let alone in the snow.

My fat bike has 26x3.8" and I typically use every bit of the 42t cog getting through the mashed potato snow. If it's frozen and packed, it's like riding on pavement though.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:40 AM

I’ve got an alfine hub so doesn’t need to be single speed. I need a sled because you need to leave your bike at roaring brook before the last section up chimney pond. Even on skis it is never close to anything like easy, especially with the amount I drag in (I like to eat and drink well). I’ll do some tests and see if it seems possible. The part I would bike on are gravel access roads in the summer so they are pretty wide and flat. It’s just in winter they close the gates where normally you could just drive in and they get well packed down pretty quick.

Half the fun is planning and adjusting gear. I definitely now have it dialed in on skis but this seems like a fun challenge if I can make it work with what I have.

Worst decision I made was bringing a chariot trailer last year with the ski adapters on trails (not roads) through the woods. Full of stuff the thing tipped over left and right whenever the narrow trail was at all uneven, which is pretty much all the time on a hiking trail in winter in Maine. Turns out the cheap Parris sled is still the best tool for the job.

We will see. Hopefully no one reads a story about an idiot freezing on a bike in Baxter come February. Everyone’s input is useful though and has reinforced the need to really test before trying.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:50 AM
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetuximab View Post
Biking results is less circulation to the feet. Hence the invention of cyclo cross. Hiking, cross country skiing you perfuse you feet better and you feet stay warm with less insulation. It is cheap insurance to take a couple packs of toe warmers in you coat pocket.
I've never had much success with toe warmers. I attributed it to the lack of oxygen in my shoes/boots for them to function.

Kevin g
Old 11-16-2017, 09:24 AM

Awesome idea

I have only little experience biking on snow--which was mainly small areas while MTB, but just think this is a cool thing to try. Just experiencing the difference 2.2 to 2.5 makes on riding on loose sandy trails, I have to think on packed snow you will be okay on big tires. a few years back, either here here or across the hall there was an amazing Ti bike for sale that had been ridden for bike camping in the artic (had propane storage built into the frame tubing etc)--so the issue of riding with a heavy load on snow has been done...
Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Places I go here are multi-use--skis, snowshoes, bikes, and sleds. I do hate them things, though. Loud, smelly, and some get a little crazy. Fortunately, most are very courteous and you can hear them coming from ways away. But I still ride with a big red blinky.
Cool, in Wisconsin, we LOVE THE MOTOR...cyclists beware
Old 11-16-2017, 06:21 PM

I've ridden lot's of snowmobile packed trails with 2.35 tires w/o a problem. Great fun. Low pressure is your friend. I would be a bit concerned with controlling the sled on the descents however. I go to BSP every year and camp and ride in the northern section of the park. I've hiked Katahdin many times but never in the winter. I also recommend toe warmers. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 PM

I have friends who have ridden in to Roaring Brook the last few years pulling sleds. They said they were 2x as fast as they used to be on skis. One even rode all the way up to Chimney Pond by accident, not realizing it wasn't allowed.

They all used true fat bikes (3.8" - 4.5" tires) with gears. Go for it!

You can rent fat bikes from Allspeed or Cyclemania in Portland if you want to, I'm sure they would negotiate a weekly rate for a cool trip.

As you know, you can ride a bike anywhere in Baxter that cars can travel in summer, but not where there is no road below you.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:38 PM

I ride on snow about 7 months a year. If it is packed down and frozen a 26 x 3" tire should do fine. I use 5" tires and really like them. Sometimes a ski/snowshoe/bike trail will become so packed a wonder if I even need the fat bike. then I step off trail and remember why.

But when you add in a sled, that might be your problem area, when the snow gets soft or the trail gets steep you might end up digging in. I started out with 26x3.8" tires and was happy for a few years. Then I got a bigger tire and man it is nice.

Pic from a ride on Wednesday.
PB220065 by Joe, on Flickr

If you end up liking it, then go get a full fledged fatty for next year!

Cheers,

-Joe

Last edited by xjoex; 11-26-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose8 View Post
Plan would to be to wear my mountaineering boots while biking. I’ve never gotten cold in them - after the first year where I got kind of scared being out in the cold I bought a pretty heavy duty pair of scarpas which seem to do the trick. On skis the trip takes a long time, though it can vary completely depending on conditions. But the time of year I’m going it’s usually fast snow - late feb/March is when it can get dicey in terms of conditions with thawing and refreezing.

If I end up biking I’ll definitely take some pictures and report back.
Are you skiing Katahdin? I always wanted to, but never got the chance.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug View Post
I have friends who have ridden in to Roaring Brook the last few years pulling sleds. They said they were 2x as fast as they used to be on skis. One even rode all the way up to Chimney Pond by accident, not realizing it wasn't allowed.

They all used true fat bikes (3.8" - 4.5" tires) with gears. Go for it!

You can rent fat bikes from Allspeed or Cyclemania in Portland if you want to, I'm sure they would negotiate a weekly rate for a cool trip.

As you know, you can ride a bike anywhere in Baxter that cars can travel in summer, but not where there is no road below you.
Great specific info - I'm convinced it's worth a try, and based on what someone else just said I'll just use what I have. Worst case scenario I push a bike dragging a sled.

And I have skied from Baxter peak many times - it depends on the snow - you want the tablelands to fill in - but it's fun and it is so much faster on the descent than down climbing. It takes me hours to hike up and then minutes to get back to Chimney Pond. It is a lot of stuff to carry though.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Man, Chimney Pond is heaven on earth. Without a doubt one of the prettiest places I've been to. Never been in the winter, though.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:43 PM
n - 1

Looking at xjoex's photo reminded me. If you're looking for mittens, I picked up a cheap pair from the army surplus store. Best part is the separate trigger finger that I use to brake.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Man, Chimney Pond is heaven on earth. Without a doubt one of the prettiest places I've been to. Never been in the winter, though.
If you like it in the summer you should go in the winter. It’s one of the prettiest places I’ve ever been when it’s all covered in snow and there are very few people there.

Last edited by moose8; 11-27-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added "few"
Old 11-27-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Chimney Pond IS awesome. The Traveller loop in the northern end is a great hike also, remote, VERY few people at all times.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Looking at xjoex's photo reminded me. If you're looking for mittens, I picked up a cheap pair from the army surplus store. Best part is the separate trigger finger that I use to brake.

Those gloves are the best! Lots available really inexpensive on eBay also. We own several pairs, by far the warmest and most adaptable gloves we own. Not light, but can handle any weather.