Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 06:45 PM

Shimano freehub body on Campy hub?

I need to get some new wheels built for a Shimano set up. And I have some Campy Chorus hubs circa 2000. Does anyone know if it would be possible to put a Shimano 11sp freehub body onto the Campy hub? Or do I need to get a whole new Shimano hub?
Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 PM

The cost of getting the freehub will likely outweigh the cost of just using a modern hub. Or do you already have this hub built into a wheel?

And I'm going to guess a swap is not possible, especially for 11s. 10s has a slim chance.

However, if you're willing to put up with the higher cost of campy 11s cassettes vs shimano 11s they're essentially interchangeable spacing wise. Could just use campagnolo cassettes.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:29 PM

I'd post wtb a campy 11 cassette here

It's fully compatible with shimano, you'll almost certainly find a deal here and a positive transaction, and unless you're planning on a pile of cassettes, it should relatively inexpensive vs acquiring similar nice shimano hubs. Imho your chorus hubs will look more elegant and will spin beautifully.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:28 PM

+1 on 11 speed working on Shimano systems. Shimano has a wider range of gears to select from, but for road and 11 speed, it's pretty good. Campy cassettes are a few bucks more, but UK prices are decent.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:35 PM

You can buy 11-speed Shimano Hub bodies for Campy hubs. You need to see if you have the OS (oversized) axle, like the black Campy Record Hubs have, or the older smaller (12mm) axle. Either one is available in Ebay, and switching them out is a snap. They go for about 80 bucks new.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 11-14-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus20 View Post
I need to get some new wheels built for a Shimano set up. And I have some Campy Chorus hubs circa 2000. Does anyone know if it would be possible to put a Shimano 11sp freehub body onto the Campy hub? Or do I need to get a whole new Shimano hub?
2000 hubs, oversized aluminum axle?

I have a Campagnolo freehub body that's shimano 11s compatible, for sale. Plug and play, just install. $90..It's the steel version. For the aluminum version, need to swap the axle as well.

Looks like this..11s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59310.jpg (11.4 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-15-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 AM

I'm riding a set of wheels right now which I bought from a fellow Paceline member that have Campy Record hubs with a Shimano 11spd freehub body. It's the aluminum version. I would recommend the steel version. The cogs dig into the aluminum a bit and make cassette removal more of a pain than it needs to be.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
2000 hubs, oversized aluminum axle?

I have a Campagnolo freehub body that's shimano 11s compatible, for sale. Plug and play, just install. $90..It's the steel version. For the aluminum version, need to swap the axle as well.

Looks like this..11s
I think it is oversized. And it may be 1998 or 99. Anyhow, I will check it out and get back to you. Thanks
Old 11-16-2017, 06:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus20 View Post
I think it is oversized. And it may be 1998 or 99. Anyhow, I will check it out and get back to you. Thanks
OS aluminum axled hubs started in 1998...
Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
For the aluminum version, need to swap the axle as well.
is that what determines triangularly lobed vs round axle? i always wondered and hated taking that "can you order me this freehub body" call over the phone.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 AM

As stated here, just about any Campagnolo hub from 1998 onwards can have the freehub body swapped for Shimano compatibility - but just because something can be done, doesn't mean it is worth doing. From a time and money perspective, swapping a freehub body on already built wheel can make economic sense. But if the wheel isn't built yet, it is usually cheaper and easier to get a new hub and sell the old hub.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:58 AM

+1
Old 11-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
is that what determines triangularly lobed vs round axle? i always wondered and hated taking that "can you order me this freehub body" call over the phone.
That’s correct. The steel HG FH body works on either axle, the white, ALU one, lobed axle only. I have both and also both axles.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
As stated here, just about any Campagnolo hub from 1998 onwards can have the freehub body swapped for Shimano compatibility - but just because something can be done, doesn't mean it is worth doing. From a time and money perspective, swapping a freehub body on already built wheel can make economic sense. But if the wheel isn't built yet, it is usually cheaper and easier to get a new hub and sell the old hub.
Doubt it w/o trying to argue. You aren’t going to find a rear Campag hub for $85-$90....new or used. And it takes about 5 minutes with 2 common tools(17mm open end and 5mm Allen)....vs buying a hub, then selling a hub...imho.