Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Kind of OK

OT: T-Mobile cell phone replacement recommendations.

Welllp...the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime is toast. I dropped it while juggling field gear in the parking garage. Im typing this through shattered glass.
I loved the Samsung but the Prime had very little memory and it was starting to refuse to update due to no space, even with the bare bones for apps and everything possible saved onto the SD card.
I'm looking to buy a better ANDROID phone but would like to keep it under $200. My research has turned up the Galaxy S6 as a good candidate. 32 gig of memory, SD slot, fast processor, Gorilla glass, fast charge, can be updated to Nougat 7.0...any other suggestions?

Last edited by Lewis Moon; 11-12-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:52 PM

I just bought a LeS3 from Micro Center for $99 on a flash sale. It's great for the money, and I will get something later this month during the Black Friday sales (I expect the s8 to be under $400, but I'm hoping to find a deal on a Note 8.). If you want to stay at $200, then check out the Huwai Honor 6, Moto 5, and ZTE Max. There is a Sony, an ASUS, and a few others I considered before I found the Le.

The s6 is probably a good phone, but I wanted an octa-core processor, 3gb of RAM, and a 5.4" screen in my temp phone.

BTW, I put clear packing tape across my screen until I bought the Le. It worked fine.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
I just bought a LeS3 from Micro Center for $99 on a flash sale. It's great for the money, and I will get something later this month during the Black Friday sales (I expect the s8 to be under $400, but I'm hoping to find a deal on a Note 8.). If you want to stay at $200, then check out the Huwai Honor 6, Moto 5, and ZTE Max. There is a Sony, an ASUS, and a few others I considered before I found the Le.

The s6 is probably a good phone, but I wanted an octa-core processor, 3gb of RAM, and a 5.4" screen in my temp phone.

BTW, I put clear packing tape across my screen until I bought the Le. It worked fine.
Love the tape hack. I was starting to worry about glass shards.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:13 PM

had S6 now have S7

work good, killer camera...for a phone. I notice no difference between the two but 7 is supposed to be waterproofish. not a power user, no streaming. just talk, text, email, surf.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:34 PM

I'm in the same boat, Lewis. I'm glad you posted this thread. My phone screen was cracked mysteriously (no one seems to know what happened - found it broken on the countertop one day). I've been dealing with it for months.

I'm a T-Mobile customer and looking for something decent, in the same price range. Thanks for the suggestions folks.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Motorola g5 Plus
Old 11-13-2017, 07:39 AM
Kind of OK

I'm really counting on Black Friday
Old 11-13-2017, 08:43 AM
Daniel

I'm on T-Mo as well. I upgraded to the LG G6 this summer and kicked myself for spending that much on the phone so I did some research and found the Blu brand of Android phones on Amazon and got an R1 Plus. It was a great phone. I am not demanding of my phone but I do want a strong battery and Blu REALLY delivered in that regard.

Postscript: Unfortunately before I could sell my G6, I dropped it and cracked the screen. Then a week later I ejected the Blu out of my bag while commuting and cracked it. I stuck with the Blu but the crack continues so I'm back to the G6. Wah-wah-wah...

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I'm in the same boat, Lewis. I'm glad you posted this thread. My phone screen was cracked mysteriously (no one seems to know what happened - found it broken on the countertop one day). I've been dealing with it for months.

I'm a T-Mobile customer and looking for something decent, in the same price range. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I thought "nobody" lived in my house. Apparently he/she lives with you also?
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I thought "nobody" lived in my house. Apparently he/she lives with you also?
I have 3 "not me's" in my house. We are in the same boat.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:02 PM

Here's a good article that details all the budget options.

T-Mobile runs on the GSM network so just make sure your targeted phone is compatible.

Search Slickdeals through the archive history to see what the historic prices and deals for these phones are and that will give you a good idea of how much they go on sale for and how often.

IMO (I have to manage the family's fleet of phones and plan options) the Motorola line of phones (the Moto E on the budget side and the Moto G for slightly more money) offer good value and great usability for basic phones. The main thing is if you buy a phone from T-Mobile (or any other cell phone carrier), it will be loaded with bloatware (apps and other junk). It's often very hard to remove these programs and have a clean running system.

FWIW, I use a Google Pixel phone and really like the clean system feel, quick updates and lack of bloatware. Not the fastest hardware but a really good camera and an overall great experience if you do not like the Apple iOS systems...

Last edited by modernfuturist; 11-13-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernfuturist View Post
Here's a good article that details all the budget options.

T-Mobile runs on the GSM network so just make sure your targeted phone is compatible.

Search Slickdeals through the archive history to see what the historic prices and deals for these phones are and that will give you a good idea of how much they go on sale for and how often.

IMO (I have to manage the family's fleet of phones and plan options) the Motorola line of phones (the Moto E on the budget side and the Moto G for slightly more money) offer good value and great usability for basic phones. The main thing is if you buy a phone from T-Mobile, it will be loaded with bloatware (apps and other junk) that advertises pay T-Mobile to load the phone with. It's often very hard to remove these programs and have a clean running system.
Yeah, bloatware is a problem. I hate not being able to remove schite I don't use.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:09 PM

i have a s6. it doesn't have a sd slot.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Yeah, bloatware is a problem. I hate not being able to remove schite I don't use.
Then avoid Samsungs -- they make it really hard to root your phone and modify it to run custom ROMs and remove bloatware. It used to be the t-mobile of samsung galaxy phones would let you do it, but ATT wouldn't -- but apparently with the Galaxy S7 even the t-mobile phone is difficult to root.

Which sucks because Samsung is one of the only manufacturers that still includes a Micro-SD card.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
i have a s6. it doesn't have a sd slot.
Fahk....I assumed the S6 would have one, but I see Samsung skipped the SD on the 6 and brought it back on the 7. That's a deal breaker.