Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 08:51 AM
weather watcher

!!sp 105/Ultegra rear derailleurs compatible with 10sp drivetrain?

So I need to replace my rear derailleur, but was hoping to grab one of the newer ones. Will a new 11sp 105/ultegra rear mech play nice with a 6700 12-30 cassette and 10sp chain, or am I out of luck?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:59 AM
Lanterne rouge

Nope, the derailier speed needs to match the shifters from 10 to 11 speed.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
By derailleur speed I assume you mean shifter cable pull ratio? Not sure what derailleur speed means.

If you install a Shimano 105 11 speed derailleur to use with Shimano 10 speed shifters and a 10 speed cassette, no reason it will not work fine as long as you set the low limit screw accordingly. I'd have to see how the new 8000 would install, but that might not even be a problem.

Not sure why one would over a 10 speed unless you wanted the 11 for a future build. Nothing to be gained in performance.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
By derailleur speed I assume you mean shifter cable pull ratio? Not sure what derailleur speed means.

If you install a Shimano 105 11 speed derailleur to use with Shimano 10 speed shifters and a 10 speed cassette, no reason it will not work fine as long as you set the low limit screw accordingly. I'd have to see how the new 8000 would install, but that might not even be a problem.

Not sure why one would over a 10 speed unless you wanted the 11 for a future build. Nothing to be gained in performance.
11s shimano rear ders are not compatible with shimanon10s shifters.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
This is the correct information.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post

What I mean is a 11 speed rear derailuer wont work with 10 speed shifters. I dont know the cable pull ratio but they are not the same and wont work.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
What I mean is a 11 speed rear derailuer wont work with 10 speed shifters. I dont know the cable pull ratio but they are not the same and wont work.
He understood you, he just has the wrong information about 10 and 11 speed compatibility. Probably because 7 to 8 and 9 to 10 were compatible.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
He understood you, he just has the wrong information about 10 and 11 speed compatibility. Probably because 7 to 8 and 9 to 10 were compatible.
Yeah, then there was all that mountan hocus pocus.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
11s shimano rear ders are not compatible with shimanon10s shifters.
Well I stand corrected! I assumed since a 10speed derailleur would work with 9 speed shifters, An 11 would work with 10 speed shifters, setting limit screws.

What's the difference? Guessing cable pull?
Old 11-12-2017, 03:35 PM

Yup, cable pull. It would be like trying to use a Sram derailleur with Shimano shifters.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharny View Post
So I need to replace my rear derailleur, but was hoping to grab one of the newer ones. Will a new 11sp 105/ultegra rear mech play nice with a 6700 12-30 cassette and 10sp chain, or am I out of luck?
Brother, I run that same cassette on my commuter, a steel tourer with a triple up front.

I actually recommend a 9 speed derailleur, the M591. It has more chain wrapping capacity than any 10-11 speed road derailleur that Shimano makes. It's the last of the great road-compatible/mountain long cage derailleurs. A true classic.

Last edited by Marc40a; 11-12-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:34 AM

I had a dream last night that all the major manufacturers agreed on standards for everything and going forward all parts would be interchangeable across brands.

I was so disappointed to wake up from that and realize it was just a dream.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
I had a dream last night that all the major manufacturers agreed on standards for everything and going forward all parts would be interchangeable across brands.

I was so disappointed to wake up from that and realize it was just a dream.
They have agreed on so many things that you can buy a frame and equip it with components from any company. Now you want them to check in with each other every time they redesign their index systems?
Old 11-13-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
They have agreed on so many things that you can buy a frame and equip it with components from any company. Now you want them to check in with each other every time they redesign their index systems?
Bottom brackets are a clustermuck. Everything else is pretty hard to make proprietary without being obtuse. What are they going to do, change which side is drive side? Have a weird angle required for the deraileur hanger? They didn't need to do anything to allow frames to be independent of groupset.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Bottom brackets are a clustermuck. Everything else is pretty hard to make proprietary without being obtuse. What are they going to do, change which side is drive side? Have a weird angle required for the deraileur hanger? They didn't need to do anything to allow frames to be independent of groupset.
There used to be multiple pedal thread standards, shifter mounts, cable stop diameters, chainlines, hub widths, etc. Bikes are much more standardized then they were.