Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2017, 11:22 AM

Possible to swap FD clamps?

I need a new FD. 28.6, old school steel. I see FD's for sale with larger clamps. Is it possible to swap the clamp on one of these with the one currently on my bike? I know you can add a clamp to a braze on, but can clamp-ons be modified?
Old 11-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Member?

https://www.amazon.com/FSA-Front-Der.../dp/B005MJZ856
Old 11-11-2017, 12:18 PM

You can easily change clamp diameters on most Campagnolo 9/10 derailleurs. 28.6 are out there, but the hardest to find of the 4 mounts. If you're using a friction shifter they will work fine for most setups.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-...sAAOSwFSxZ9JiE

If you have an indexing Shimano front shifter, it's usually best to stick the the corresponding derailleur. Shimano quit making 28.6 clamps a long time ago. You can either shim a 32 clamp down to 28.6 or use a braze on derailleur with a 28.6 adapter.

Last edited by oliver1850; 11-11-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I need a new FD. 28.6, old school steel. I see FD's for sale with larger clamps. Is it possible to swap the clamp on one of these with the one currently on my bike? I know you can add a clamp to a braze on, but can clamp-ons be modified?

In some cases that'll work. I'd encourage you to try it. Take the FD you have and start taking it apart -- if you can detach both parallelogram arms from their pivots (in such a way that you can put them back on -- i.e. with threaded fasteners), then all you need is the same derailleur with the right diameter clamp. Shop eBay for a really thrashed used one, it'll be cheap since all the wear is in the outer parts and the clamp is all you want.

You may have a derailleur that's put together with rivets or a similar non-reattachable method, and if so, the job may require a little more engineering. But I would totally encourage you to try it. Worst case you throw away a front derailleur or two, and they're not that heartbreakingly expensive. And best case you've got a unique, handmade part that you did yourself.

Quote:
If you have an indexing Shimano front shifter, it's usually best to stick the the corresponding derailleur...
If you have an indexing front shifter, get rid of it. There is no excuse. Naw, all seriousness aside, thinking it through it might not make any difference... I'd try it. Although, I don't have any indexing front shifters, ha HAAAAAA!
Old 11-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
This actually seems like the perfect, simplest and least expensive solution. Why bother taking apart a derailleur when you can spend $11.00 on a shim? Seems like a no brainer to me!
Old 11-11-2017, 01:48 PM

Most 31.8 front drls (new) come with the shim, so you are good to go. Another great option is to buy a braze-on type derailleur and the band adapter in the diameter you need.

Swapping integral front derailleur parts, or grafting two used units is really not worth the effort when the two above (great) options exist.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:59 PM

I also wouldn't bother trying to Frankenstein a 28.6 FD out of parts. Use a shim if you want to re-purpose an oversized derailleur.

This issue is one of the reasons I've also bought only braze-on derailleurs. There is no bike that braze on won't mount on, and you never know when you'll want to move your group to a new frame.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Kind of what I thought, but was hoping to be surprised. Way easier to buy what I need. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:24 PM

What kind of FD do you need? I have some very nice 28.6's in storage, might be sitting on exactly what you need...
Old 11-11-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
What kind of FD do you need? I have some very nice 28.6's in storage, might be sitting on exactly what you need...
Looking for a Campy Chorus or better. Running 11, but I think a 10 will work fine.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:56 PM

I ride a bike with a 28.6 seat tube....and use a shim on purpose with a 31.8/32. Protects the paint. And I've got some of the earlier Campagnolo FD's where the clamp comes off the body. Still prefer using the plastic shim.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 PM

I have at least half a dozen NOS 28.6 mm clamp-on Campagnolo front derailleurs. Let me know if you are interested and we can definitely come to an agreement
Old 11-11-2017, 08:58 PM

Aha.

When you said old school, I thought you meant, like, you know, Old School.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Aha.

When you said old school, I thought you meant, like, you know, Old School.
Well, it is 15 years old, so maybe just Middle School.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricEstlund View Post
Most 31.8 front drls (new) come with the shim, so you are good to go. Another great option is to buy a braze-on type derailleur and the band adapter in the diameter you need.

Swapping integral front derailleur parts, or grafting two used units is really not worth the effort when the two above (great) options exist.
And the thinking, along with fewer SKUs, why now Campag only makes brazeon front ders and clamp adapters..smart move, IMHO. AND 2-3 makers of 28.6 clamp adapters, since Campag doesn't make one. Miche, ProblemSolvers..