Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 09:11 PM

PF 30 BB can someone explain the advantage?

So I got this frame that has a PF 30 BB shell. I'm thinking of using an Ultegra crankset. so what are my options? Praxis and Wheels Manufacturing seems like the two that folks are recommending to convert to a Shimano 24mm standard. are there any other options?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:24 PM

Getting a new frame, getting a new crank, or using a conversion BB. That’s about it for options.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:41 PM

The advantage is you get to use cranksets that are narrower and have larger diameter, lighter spindles then Shimanos.

If you don't want to take advantage of PF30/BB30 cranks, the conversions are lightweight and simple.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:57 PM

I have a Parlee PF30 conversion BB that will allow you to run those Shimano cranks. Installed then removed but never used. PM if interested.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
The advantage is you get to use cranksets that are narrower and have larger diameter, lighter spindles then Shimanos.

If you don't want to take advantage of PF30/BB30 cranks, the conversions are lightweight and simple.
That's what I was thinking, but there does not seem to be many options in cranks. I like Rotor (which I have on another bike with a BSA BB), but I'm thinking Ulterga will work for a gravel bike. are there others I should consider?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 PM
DELETE ACCNT

you can get spacers to fit Shimano cranks.
PF30 is a bad system.
I would recommend getting something like the Wheels, Enduro or Hambini to avoid future problems

I'm just recommending so you don't have to have the headaches I did.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
That's what I was thinking, but there does not seem to be many options in cranks. I like Rotor (which I have on another bike with a BSA BB), but I'm thinking Ulterga will work for a gravel bike. are there others I should consider?
FSA, Praxis, Easton, SI and SRAM/Truvativ would be the most common.

With a correctly spec'd frame, I've installed hundreds of PF30 BBs and cranks without any particular problems reported by customers. Not saying it is my favorite system, but they work.

Last edited by Kontact; 11-10-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
A Rotor 3D+ should drop right into a standard PF30 (not conversion) BB.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
So I got this frame that has a PF 30 BB shell. I'm thinking of using an Ultegra crankset. so what are my options? Praxis and Wheels Manufacturing seems like the two that folks are recommending to convert to a Shimano 24mm standard. are there any other options?
You asked the 'advantages' and the 'advantages' are all with the frame builder. Cheaper and easier..to mate great big down and sometimes seat tubes to great big BB shells..and that applies to great big down tube to great big head tube..easier welds, better miters.

BB30, 30mm crank spindles may or may not be any advantage...on a gorilla tester, there are differences but mere mortals can't feel that. Mere mortals CAN hear the noises coming out of BB30/PFBB30 BBs tho..
Old 11-11-2017, 07:28 AM

advantage is that it's easier to manufacture the frame. I have the wheels version and shimano cranks, works great, that's about all the thought this topic needs anymore
Old 11-11-2017, 07:34 AM

this post is too creaky for me.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
A Rotor 3D+ should drop right into a standard PF30 (not conversion) BB.
That's what I'm doing...
Old 11-11-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
You asked the 'advantages' and the 'advantages' are all with the frame builder. Cheaper and easier..to mate great big down and sometimes seat tubes to great big BB shells..and that applies to great big down tube to great big head tube..easier welds, better miters.

BB30, 30mm crank spindles may or may not be any advantage...on a gorilla tester, there are differences but mere mortals can't feel that. Mere mortals CAN hear the noises coming out of BB30/PFBB30 BBs tho..
And that's about the best synopsis you will find on the web about the press fit standard.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Pf30

Since you already have the frame, it makes no sense to re-hash the advantages and disadvantages.

For maximum performance/minimum noise- install one of the Wheels thread together PF30 to 24mm bottom brackets. Your bike will be quiet and smooth.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Installed Sram BB30 cranks on my PF30 frame. No noise, more ankle clearance, and a measureable difference in weight if that's important.