Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2017, 09:57 AM

The UCI "may" investigate. Funny stuff!
Old 11-11-2017, 10:08 AM

the bus is long gone for this, he won the races and is retired. What they need to do is to just start again from zero and put their eye more than ever in the problem.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:30 AM

Gaimon

I enjoy Phil's writing and generally think he is a straight up guy.

But he should keep to subjects that he has personal knowledge about- not start **** just for the sake of internet drama.

He could say something like- "I know that Fabian in his prime would straight up ride me off his wheel at will. Motor, no motor, doped or clean- he is a motor."
Old 11-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
You can't compare 1hr time trial numbers with the final 50k or whatever of a classics race. If you can duplicate those numbers at the end of a race you didn't hit the time trial with all you got.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Obviously. I was trying to point out that Cancellara and Gaimon are fundamentally different types of riders, and while Phil knows a lot, I don't think he's ever been in the lead group of a cobbled race within 100k from the finish. So, in this case (unless he has some other evidence or has heard people talking or has something concrete), he knows about as much about the final 50K of Roubaix as the rest of us.

Would be like Cancellara intimating that Nairo Quintana's accelerations in the high alps look suspicious based on watching a video of him riding.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
So, for sure Cancellara's max power for an attack is beyond what Gaimon could imagine. "his accelerations don't look natural at all" Indeed. Only a handful of people could keep up with him when he put those attacks in. If we come to the conclusion that he was cheating based on the dominance of his attacks, how can you not also pass judgement on Boonen in 2011?
While I agree that PG just seems to be stirring up trouble, I think that spending 10 years as a pro would give him a pretty good eye for spotting "unnatural accelerations" even via video. Same way a semi-casual rider can recognize a particularly fluid pedal stroke on the road (out here at least usually indicating pro or former-pro status).

And yeah, I think that smart money is on both Boonen and Cancellara not being clean for all of their big wins.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Cat 6

https://youtu.be/z6z7uUe0tVA?t=2m34s

this is such and old debate but watch his right hand. this unusual movement has been debated ever since that win.

pulls out 250-300 meters in 10 seconds...

Last edited by r_mutt; 11-11-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post

watch his right hand. this unusual movement has been debated ever since that win.
Back and to the left. Back...and to the left.

Back...and to the left.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:38 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
I'm not real strong with math, but, 300 meters in 10 seconds = 30 m/s = 108 KPH, assuming Boonen was moving at all, Cancellara would be doing what,... 130 KPH, 80 MPH up the Muur? What's the wattage required to do that,... 10,878? Good god, that motor technology needs to become public, it'll save the world.

I'd suspect if he'd been doing even half that someone would have noticed.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:

this is such and old debate but watch his right hand. this unusual movement has been debated ever since that win.

Yup, that motor sure did open up that gap on the descent off the Muur.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post

I read Gaimon's comment as more of a funny reflection than something that he thought would lead to an autopsy on a retired race bike. It's not a definitive accusation - the use of the word "probably" rules that out. And I don't think that the UCI is going to do anything. These reporting websites are also trying to snag readers by making more of the story than it is.
This is how I took it in context of the whole book. I really didn't give a second thought to the line when I read it.

IMO this is cycling websites trying to use PG for traffic, not PG trying to sell books by being controversial.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:55 AM
Cat 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
I'm not real strong with math, but, 300 meters in 10 seconds = 30 m/s = 108 KPH, assuming Boonen was moving at all, Cancellara would be doing what,... 130 KPH, 80 MPH up the Muur? What's the wattage required to do that,... 10,878? Good god, that motor technology needs to become public, it'll save the world.

Looking at again, and watching the clock, it's about a minute and it's quite a large gap. Massive. it was such a large gap, everyone noticed. That's why it's so often cited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 07:26 AM

Let’s be frank about something - one way or the other, Fabian had a doped motor.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post

Do you think he went up that at 130 K/H motor or not? Like ppl who stod there would believe that? Or that it even remotely looks like he is doing a 130?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:44 AM
Cat 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Do you think he went up that at 130 K/H motor or not? Like ppl who stod there would believe that? Or that it even remotely looks like he is doing a 130?
the gap in question is formed up and over the top of the Muur. Fabs is sitting down and putting an enormous gap on an. on-form Boonen who is standing up and powering at his limit. Once Tom goes over the top, you can see the gap is to Cancellara tremendous- all in about 1 minute. watch the video.

do I believe he had a motor that year? considering that he had at least 2 bike changes for no obvious reason that race, yes I do.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:57 AM

The "on-form Boonen" was pedalling squares.