Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Post Mod-ern

"Le Ride" movie by Phil Keoghan

Anybody else see this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5279204/

Lady Bee and I did last night. Superb, fun movie that follows Phil and his buddy as they retrace the route of the 1928 TdF, which pretty much circumnavigated the country along the coasts and borders. The account of their modern effort is intertwined with historic footage and accounts of the of the efforts of the four man Australian-New Zealand team that competed that year.

For me, the only elephant in the room that followed Phil through the whole film was that there was absolutely no mention of the role that doping almost certainly played in enabling the riders at that time to complete a race that was specifically designed by Legrange to eliminate as many as possible.

But despite that, if you have a chance to see this in the theater or online, do it. Great flick!

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 11-10-2017, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Looks good Dave. How did you watch? Streaming through some service or...?
Old 11-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Post Mod-ern

At a local theater . . .

. . . via a specially arranged screening. I originally got a Facebook ad for it, based I'm sure on my cycling interest demographic.

I'm not sure if it's available through streaming or not. But definitely worth looking for.

Phil and the other guy are both nutso crazy--no other word for it when you watch them ride across the Pyrenees shore-to-shore in TWO days. Having been there and ridden Tourmalet, Galibier, etc., I was slack-jawed these guys were riding up those climbs on heavy, authentic (for the most part) 1928 bikes using what had to be godawful high gearing judged by today's standards of available gearing. I was dyin' going up those with a 34-28 on a carbon Madone!

BBD
Old 11-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Evil Genius

I saw it with the local bike club last night, too! Also a local screening, though it IS available on iTunes for 19.99.

My ACTUAL impression of the entire idea:
"Someone capable of properly PLANNING this ride would also be smart enough to talk himself OUT of it."

Still, some excellent photography and history, though couched within a pointless hour and a half of masochism.

All though hairpins, after midnight, on a bike with "wheel rubbing devices." How crazy to you have to be? When Ben said, "I have a 15 month old I need to get back to." My only thought was, "then STOP DOING THIS SORT OF THING."

Still, props to Phil for pulling this off. It's well worth your time.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maddox View Post
I saw it with the local bike club last night, too! Also a local screening, though it IS available on iTunes for 19.99.

My ACTUAL impression of the entire idea:
"Someone capable of properly PLANNING this ride would also be smart enough to talk himself OUT of it."

Still, some excellent photography and history, though couched within a pointless hour and a half of masochism.

All though hairpins, after midnight, on a bike with "wheel rubbing devices." How crazy to you have to be? When Ben said, "I have a 15 month old I need to get back to." My only thought was, "then STOP DOING THIS SORT OF THING."

Still, props to Phil for pulling this off. It's well worth your time.
I watched it last night too. First time I've actually been in a movie theater in 3 years, wife and I go to the drive in or stay home to watch movies, and I was actually more impressed by the theater's Electronic Reclining chairs and MASSIVE 180 degree screen.

Super impressed by what they did, but having climbed some of those climbs, I didn't think the movie got close to what these poor bastards had to go through. IT was shot really well, And this flick was def made for cyclists in mind. I don't think it would impress the non-cyclist as much.

I did notice there was a TON of Rapha in it though. Which was kinda irritating. But hell...they need to pay for this film some how right?

Good Documentary, Seem like super nice folks who shot/rode it. Happy to have sat through it.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Post Mod-ern

Lady Bee said the same thing . . .

. . . about kind of glossing over the torture they must have gone through on those two massive days in the Pyrenees. Over 200 miles of riding AND 20k feet of climbing in ONE day? O.M.F.G.

. . . and we both wondered how did they finish a stage like that and then climb on the bikes again only a few hours later to do it again? Whatever else you think about the craziness of the idea or the ubiquitous Muscle Milk and Rapha logos, you gotta admit these two guys are just total badass athletes.

BBD
Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . about kind of glossing over the torture they must have gone through on those two massive days in the Pyrenees. Over 200 miles of riding AND 20k feet of climbing in ONE day? O.M.F.G.

. . . and we both wondered how did they finish a stage like that and then climb on the bikes again only a few hours later to do it again? Whatever else you think about the craziness of the idea or the ubiquitous Muscle Milk and Rapha logos, you gotta admit these two guys are just total badass athletes.

BBD
I saw the movie too and one point that was missed is that the actual 1028 tour was 22 stages over 26 days. There were rest days for the riders and for the two guys in the movie. There must have been one between the two stages in the Pyrenees.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:44 PM

A discussion about doping would be a great case of historical relativism. A guy in 1928 wouldn’t even understand the term. Nor was there a list of banned substances. Lets not judge the past by today, basically. Because they wern’t breaking any rules. But yes, they used alcohol to numb themselves and coke for energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2017, 07:41 AM

I'd seen this advertised but didn't realize they rode those bikes. Nuts
Old 11-11-2017, 07:59 AM
aka RAEKWON

Looks fun. Its on itunes but australia only so if you only have an us account, no good.

On the rapha thing, watching the trailer I was like, why arent they dressed in period correct stuff, then I saw the sponsor list. Fair enough, producing something like thia ia expensive.

Also saw srm sponsored it too, that is a strange one
Old 11-11-2017, 08:12 AM

Agreed on this, though any discussion of recovery management and sustenance would be fascinating regardless of doping in today's context. Exercise physiology in the 1920s must have interesting... (i.e.- what was the understanding of recovery during the race?) I haven't seen this, but will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
A discussion about doping would be a great case of historical relativism. A guy in 1928 wouldn’t even understand the term. Nor was there a list of banned substances. Lets not judge the past by today, basically. Because they wern’t breaking any rules. But yes, they used alcohol to numb themselves and coke for energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jad; 11-11-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Looks fun. Its on itunes but australia only so if you only have an us account, no good.

On the rapha thing, watching the trailer I was like, why arent they dressed in period correct stuff, then I saw the sponsor list. Fair enough, producing something like thia ia expensive.

Also saw srm sponsored it too, that is a strange one
Is it going to be streamed in the US on anything? I did an AppleTV/itunes search and came up nada.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:37 AM

Lots of local riders saw it last Thursday at the Cortlandt Town Center theater, couple of friends as well as my brother-in-law...

Group buy or something in order to have the showing.

Sorry I missed it, and hoping maybe it will come up either on Netflix someday or for purchase on iTunes here in the USA...what's up with that?

SPP
Old 11-12-2017, 06:40 AM

ITunes New Zealand

I searched iTunes and got a message that it is available on iTunes New Zealand and I could rent it or purchase it there.

Le Ride by Phil Keoghan https://itunes.apple.com/nz/movie/le-ride/id1233293146

But I’m having a hard time purchasing it.

Last edited by djg21; 11-12-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:46 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Is it going to be streamed in the US on anything? I did an AppleTV/itunes search and came up nada.
I am sure eventually will come to us itunes store