Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 10:56 AM

OT: Which vehicle

A while back I asked for advice on a used SUV for a vacation home in the Utah mountains. Main uses were getting around town and heading up and down the canyons to ski areas in good and bad weather. It would also be driven back and forth from CA to Utah a couple of times per year.

Narrowed the list down to a 2012 Chevy Tahoe with about 75k miles, loaded, one owner and a 2013 Cadillac Escalade with about 65K miles, similarly equipped.

I realize that there isn't a ton of difference between the two and the price difference isn't huge, with the 2013/lower miles truck being more expensive.

Seems the main difference is that the Cadillac has a bigger, more thirsty engine 6.2L and full-time AWD, and the Tahoe has the 5.3L with the switchable 2WD/4WD and auto mode. Also think that the Cadillac has some suspension differences.

Question for my Paceline friends is about any opinions/experiences with either engine for reliability, pep up hills and drivability. I won't be towing anything.

Also wondering if there are any opinions on the two transmissions. The conventional wisdom is that the AWD system drives better and the Escalade handles a bit better with less roll and sway.

Finally, any visible differences in the interior fit/finish that people notice?

Yes, I am looking at the cars myself, but in a short test drive it's hard to extrapolate real-life experience. I also want to be efficient in where I invest (waste) my brain cells in dealing with the dealer.

As an aside, it's somewhat surprising that the dealers are not terribly anxious to cut deals for a cash buyer walking in off the street for a easy sell.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for not advocating your love for a Subaru or Toyota in response to the questions
Old 11-09-2017, 10:59 AM

Go to the Chevy dealer and ask about the cost of oil changes and brake jobs.

That might make a difference.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:06 AM

Get the white one.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 AM
n - 1

Cost of capital is cheap. Why would any dealer want a cash buyer vs ones who will finance and make them more money? I don't think the cash stash is giving you any advantage in this case.

Regarding the choices, I'd go with the Chevy. You don't tow. No need for the big honkin 6.2L. Even the 5.3L is overkill. But I tend to favor the less pompous brands--i.e. when I purchased a Landcruiser several years ago, I intentionally avoided Lexus counterparts.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:23 AM

The Chevy Tahoe is a good truck (SUV), and with the less complicated drivetrain will likely be much more reliable. In my mind the decision is easy.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:38 AM

I'd go with the Tahoe. For fair weather driving, the smaller engine, and 2WD capability could save you a decent amount of consumable expenses.

A quick search suggests that the AWD system in the Caddy is a full time 40/60 power split. How often do you really need All/4WD? If the AWD system can't do a full disconnect to 2WD, which it looks like this one can't, you'll end up burning a lot of fuel when you don't really need to, particularly on those long highway trips. I'd wager, that even for your intended use in the mountains, you could safely use 2WD for the majority of your miles with it and you still have the option of 4WD when you need it.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:38 AM

Dealers always get cash.....either from you or finance/bank company. The Chevy Tahoe probably would be cheaper to maintain. Has more standard pick up truck parts. Get it repaired about anywhere.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:51 AM

Cadiss are super nice vehicles but dont get medals for reliability neither for low maintenance cost, specially when even the dealer doesnt know whats wrong when the something happens (a lot of cadis for sale and for not much, dunno if you noticed that), but if you have the dough then it wont be an issue.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:01 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Given a choice between AWD and selectable 2WD/4WD (with Hi/Lo range) I would always pick the latter. IMO it works much better in the mud and snow. Also, if one tire gets ruined by something like a sidewall puncture you're not forced to buy all 4 tires as would be the case with AWD.

Last edited by choke; 11-09-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:13 PM

tahoe by a country mile.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:29 PM

My FA has a 2014 Escalade, a CPO with 60K on it. No problems whatsoever. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Also, if one tire gets ruined by something like a sidewall puncture you're not forced to buy all 4 tires as would be the case with AWD.
Just FYI if this happens, you can measure the wear on the other 3 and send the tread depth measurement to Tire Rack with your order for a replacement. They'll shave the tread on the new one to match the current rolling diameter of others for a marginal fee. A good local wheel and tire shops may have the capability to do this as well.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:26 AM

The right answer in ski country is a subaru forester.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:58 AM

Unless your research shows some glaring problem with that year of the Tahoe I'd buy it over the Caddy for sure.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:04 AM

I'm looking for a tow vehicle with a minimum of about 300 hp. The general consensus at work is GMC/Chevy, 5.3. They're bombproof as long as there is little rust and the one or two electrical gremlins (dash?) get handled. The highest mileage one I've seen personally was about 380k, a former southern/western truck, and the guy was putting some long term stuff in (wheel bearings, etc). It wasn't in just for an oil change.

Easy to work on (meaning any place will do it, not saying you will).

This compared to, say, my 2006 Expedition (99k mi), which many mechanics will not touch with a 10 foot pole. My vehicle is a time trap for mechanics and many garages simply won't work on them because it's impossible to charge full price for working on them due to the costs of doing, say, the plugs or exhaust manifolds. They rapidly add up and will quickly outstrip the value of the vehicle.

Same mechanics will work on a 170k mile GMC/Chevy 5.3 vehicle because they're predictable and easy to work on.

If you're really serious about either vehicle, and you cannot get a GM sales person to give you a full VIN history (only available through a GM dealership, using their internal records) then PM me, I may be able to ask former colleagues to pull up history on each VIN number.