Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsocks View Post
Hey Folks!!

Been gone for waaaay to long. Still riding but Life has been getting in the way.
Regardless, I was in New Mexico last week riding, and after a giving a very costly wedding anniversary gift to my wife, the Boss Demanded that in return I buy a new bike.

So here we go. I need your help.
I've been out of riding for a while, Just been riding the normal Mech and Rim brakes. So In my search for a bike I came across this bike:

Because I've been so far gone from buying a bike, and just riding I really havent put a lot of thought into a new bike.
I came across this one at my LBS, and its got Disc, Di2, and Its the Evo High Mod frame. They want $3999 for it. It was ridden by the owner for 2 weeks and Dropped. So there is a tiny bit of rash on the RD but its fine other than that. Has full warranty Bumper to Bumper for two years. I rode it, and they even offered to let me take it home for a week.

So my question, is this a good bike to last me at least 6 years, and be ahead of the game?

I'm done with Aero, Carbon Rimmed brakes. I just want a Good Reactive bike that Is safe on Very fast downhills...That will be ahead of the curve for at least 5 years.

Regardless, its good to be back here with you guys/gals.
Thanks in advance.
I don't know what the curve is. Do you like how it rides?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:31 PM

Also, that Cannondale may have been dropped but that Pinarello appears to have been crashed!

Anyway buy the bike you like, the future is uncertain.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:39 PM
ZhugeLiang

sock pal, welcome back...I read your whole paragraph and the only thing that stands out is this:

Quote:
I rode it, and they even offered to let me take it home for a week.
Take full advantage of that generous offer and the answers to your questions lie somewhere in there.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Also, that Cannondale may have been dropped but that Pinarello appears to have been crashed!

Anyway buy the bike you like, the future is uncertain.
Crashed? What do you mean? I called the shop, they are a Pino dealer and they said it’s brand new, and it comes with a warranty.

Am I missing something?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:50 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
sock pal, welcome back...I read your whole paragraph and the only thing that stands out is this:

Take full advantage of that generous offer and the answers to your questions lie somewhere in there.
Hey WEIS MAN! I was hoping you’d still be spreading the wisdom abound!
I plan on picking it up tomm. I need to climb before I can I buy....
Old 11-08-2017, 06:07 PM

For my money I'd go with timeless instead of trying to play the depreciation curve on modern bike tech. Also you don't want to have an unsellable carbon bike 10 years from now. You'll want something custom that has some sentimental value. My vote is get a wild colored Firefly rim brake bike that'll handle 30s and fenders, maybe di2 compatible - they could always add on stops later.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Crashed? What do you mean? I called the shop, they are a Pino dealer and they said it’s brand new, and it comes with a warranty.

Am I missing something?
Haha no I am just being a smartass about the frame design :-)

Carry on
Old 11-09-2017, 06:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Hey Folks!!

Been gone for waaaay to long. Still riding but Life has been getting in the way.
Regardless, I was in New Mexico last week riding, and after a giving a very costly wedding anniversary gift to my wife, the Boss Demanded that in return I buy a new bike.

So here we go. I need your help.
I've been out of riding for a while, Just been riding the normal Mech and Rim brakes. So In my search for a bike I came across this bike:

Because I've been so far gone from buying a bike, and just riding I really havent put a lot of thought into a new bike.
I came across this one at my LBS, and its got Disc, Di2, and Its the Evo High Mod frame. They want $3999 for it. It was ridden by the owner for 2 weeks and Dropped. So there is a tiny bit of rash on the RD but its fine other than that. Has full warranty Bumper to Bumper for two years. I rode it, and they even offered to let me take it home for a week.

So my question, is this a good bike to last me at least 6 years, and be ahead of the game?

I'm done with Aero, Carbon Rimmed brakes. I just want a Good Reactive bike that Is safe on Very fast downhills...That will be ahead of the curve for at least 5 years.

Regardless, its good to be back here with you guys/gals.
Thanks in advance.
Does it fit you? Have you done an extensive, long test ride on it..done some 'very fast downhills"?

Di2/disc for $3999 is a decent price..

Will it 'last' 6 years? Of course unless you stack it or it gets stacked.

"Ahead of the curve for at least 5 years"? Not sure what that means..bike tech, for good and ill, changes all the time for a variety of reasons, some good, most the stuff of the marketeers, not the engineers.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-09-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
This one is not at my LBS, its online but also has 2 year warranty as well. Same price. Also, Full Dura-ace.
You're asking the wrong guy. Frames being equal, I'd take the Di2 (even Ultegra) over any Shimano mechanical. But I'm very biased. Who knows, in five years Di2 may be obsolete. eTap users would say it already is. I would disagree, but that's just me.

If the components are equal to you, then it comes down to the frames. The Evo is very well known. It's a straight up race frame that does everything well except what it wasn't designed for, like 35mm tires and gravel. The Pinarello also has a great lineage, I just don't know how well it rides compared to the Evo.

I think you'll need to take an extended ride on each one in order to decide. One of them is going to disappear beneath you. That's the one I'd choose.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:11 AM
Older Than You

f they are letting you have the bike for a week they are VERY anxious to sell it. I'd be trying to negotiate a lower price.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 AM

Personally, I like that Pinarello. You're on an older one and like the ride quality, so you're just getting the newer evolved version. Discs are nice but Exalith Mavic wheels may just be the pinnacle of rim braking. Very very good stopping in all conditions you'd find on the road.

I'd think the Pinarello would be a better all day bike than the Evo. The Evos I've ridden tend to be SUPER stiff and I feel like they beat you up a bit on a longer day in the saddle, whereas you have more experience on a Pinarello and the short spin I've taken on an older Dogma seemed like it was a more Italian/all day bike versus the more American/Crit bike feel on an Evo

Last edited by ltwtsculler91; 11-09-2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Thought bike was a Synapse
Old 11-09-2017, 08:56 AM

IMO the Synapse is nothing like the Evo in terms of responsiveness.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:00 AM
coffee consumer

taking home the cannondale and riding it a week is a sweet offer. I don't think they're desperate to sell it like someone else mentioned, I think its confidence in having a sweet bike they know you'll like. $4k is a great deal but certainly take the opportunity to haggle! My only question is the crank and what improvement did they make over the stock BB30 bearings to switch it over to the DA crank --- these bikes usually come with the BB30/SISL2/Spider-ring set-up. Either way, it probably an improvement especially if they switched over to an adapting BB (Wheels, Praxxis).

Good luck!

Last edited by josephr; 11-09-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
IMO the Synapse is nothing like the Evo in terms of responsiveness.
Thanks posted edited, I thought it was a Synapse not Evo. Read it wrong
Old 11-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Thanks guys and gals!!
It was super nice for the "Oracles of Paceline" to show up and throw in their 2 cents.

So in the end, I went with the Dogma. 51.5, I'm 178Cm's and 80cm Inseam. So this should fit me well.

My Deciding Factors on this one were pretty heavy. I loved how Di2 shifts, I love how Disc brakes felt. But in the end, I'm old school. I love working on my own bikes, adjusting my own brakes and pretending to adjust my FD. But the one thing I HATE is when I'm going on a ride, and turning on my Garmin to see I only have 4% left. I'm getting to the age, where I'm not going to race anymore, I don't take crazy risks like I used too...

Mechanical Brakes, and Rim is fine with me. After 4 years of riding on Carbon Aero Wheels, I have cussed at myself too long when it rains heavy and I'm stuck with Crap braking. Back to Alum for me, and these Mavic wheels that comes with it, from what I've read and talked to my LBS, have incredible braking. That and 1355grams for both wheels isn't shabby.

So in the end, I've always wanted a Dogma. I had a Pino and I really loved how it rode after all these years...What really kinda really odd is that 10 years ago I used to make fun of 40 something men who bought Dogma's. Fast forward 10 years and Here I am. Near 40 and I'll be riding one too. Jesus. Irony really feels great sometimes.