Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Help on a New bike?

Hey Folks!!

Been gone for waaaay to long. Still riding but Life has been getting in the way.
Regardless, I was in New Mexico last week riding, and after a giving a very costly wedding anniversary gift to my wife, the Boss Demanded that in return I buy a new bike.

So here we go. I need your help.
I've been out of riding for a while, Just been riding the normal Mech and Rim brakes. So In my search for a bike I came across this bike:

Because I've been so far gone from buying a bike, and just riding I really havent put a lot of thought into a new bike.
I came across this one at my LBS, and its got Disc, Di2, and Its the Evo High Mod frame. They want $3999 for it. It was ridden by the owner for 2 weeks and Dropped. So there is a tiny bit of rash on the RD but its fine other than that. Has full warranty Bumper to Bumper for two years. I rode it, and they even offered to let me take it home for a week.

So my question, is this a good bike to last me at least 6 years, and be ahead of the game?

I'm done with Aero, Carbon Rimmed brakes. I just want a Good Reactive bike that Is safe on Very fast downhills...That will be ahead of the curve for at least 5 years.

Regardless, its good to be back here with you guys/gals.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Shortsocks; 11-08-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsocks View Post
Has full warranty Bumper to Bumper for two years.
Does it come fully loaded? Floor mats? Does it have floor mats?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Talking about bikes in car dealership terms is an annoyance of mine.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Seems like quite the ride. Not sure what other bikes you've been looking at, or even if you've considered other frame materials. What set up do you have on your existing ride? Playing the Dutch Uncle here, you might get a hot new frameset and transfer your grouppo over to it (minus the carbon rims.....).
Some excellent new steel products out there, as well as titanium, like Lynsky. My days of carbon frames are over, but that's me.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungaro View Post
Seems like quite the ride. Not sure what other bikes you've been looking at, or even if you've considered other frame materials. What set up do you have on your existing ride? Playing the Dutch Uncle here, you might get a hot new frameset and transfer your grouppo over to it (minus the carbon rims.....).
Some excellent new steel products out there, as well as titanium, like Lynsky. My days of carbon frames are over, but that's me.

Thats the thing. There is a Pinarello Dogma f8, Dura-ace w/Rim brakes. For exactly the same price. I actually ride a Pinarello FP2, Great shape but I want to upgrade everything frame and Parts. So I'm looking at an entire new build.

I love steel and Alum too. All great materials, but My limit is 4k and I've been out of the loop so long......I used to know quite a bit but it's amazing how quickly One can be left out.

I don't mind Carbon, I've been riding it for so long that I've just become accustomed to it. There are a lot more choices out there right now then years ago when I bought my Pinarello FP2, Its overwhelming.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:06 PM

The short answer is yes and no.

Yes, you'll probably be happy with that bike. The Evo is a great frame and many, many people love theirs. And even more people love Di2 and shimano discs.

The no comes in because it's unlikely anything coming out today will be ahead of the curve 5 years from now with the rate of change in most products. That said, I don't think it matters. And it's highly unlikely that you'll be behind the curve with that bike.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
The short answer is yes and no.

Yes, you'll probably be happy with that bike. The Evo is a great frame and many, many people love theirs. And even more people love Di2 and shimano discs.

The no comes in because it's unlikely anything coming out today will be ahead of the curve 5 years from now with the rate of change in most products. That said, I don't think it matters. And it's highly unlikely that you'll be behind the curve with that bike.
What he said.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
What he said.
HEY SHOVEL!!! Ha! Long time.

That was a really great answer. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it too. Just too many options. As another Poster suggested, here is the other bike I'm looking at:

This one is not at my LBS, its online but also has 2 year warranty as well. Same price. Also, Full Dura-ace.

The old school in me, wants the mechanical and Rim but the New bike in me says to get some forward moving tech. These are both new bikes, both great bikes but both very different bikes. I'm really into Pino's because I've owned two and loved them both. So this is a tough one for sure. Thats why I have come back, You guys/gals have a realistic & Pragmatic approach to cycling like a lot of folks on other forums don't have.

Also, I'm hitting the 40 year old mark, and I'm not racing anymore, Im not as good at recovering as I used to be. I'm just riding for me, for the tranquility, Love of the sport. Never been in this frame of mind buying a bike before so this is new for me....as weird as that sounds.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:38 PM
aka RAEKWON

I like the cdale as in its more "future proof" but I really do not like that paint job.

I also think the pina is a much cooler bike. But what I would do is put a WTB here on the forum and see what people here have. 4k is a good amount of money and can get you something super cool. There is a firefly in the classifieds right now for a bit more than that, DI2, enve wheels, really nice.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:42 PM

I vote Pinarello. But I like more traditional road bikes overall. I don't care about staying ahead of the curve though either.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I like the cdale as in its more "future proof" but I really do not like that paint job.

I also think the pina is a much cooler bike. But what I would do is put a WTB here on the forum and see what people here have. 4k is a good amount of money and can get you something super cool. There is a firefly in the classifieds right now for a bit more than that, DI2, enve wheels, really nice.
Hey R3awak3n!! Man. It already feels great to be back.
You're right. I've been keeping my eye's on the forum. To see what shows up. I think I'll do that too. Yea, the Paint job is pretty bad, def different. I'd love a C60 with campy but alas, maybe a next life.

I remember when I wasn't looking for a new Rig, when Great bikes would come up for sale...and When I'm looking there is nothing. I guess thats just life.

I'll see if I can find that FireFly.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:43 PM

Pinarello's geometries are pretty great, and I think their bikes generally ride nicer than most other production stuff.

I'd personally go with the Pinarello, futureproofing be damned. Also, threaded BB unlike that Cannondale.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:50 PM

As long as the bike shop is backing it w/warranty thats a hell of a bike for the price.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Pinarello's geometries are pretty great, and I think their bikes generally ride nicer than most other production stuff.

I'd personally go with the Pinarello, futureproofing be damned. Also, threaded BB unlike that Cannondale.
Despite what I said above, I agree with this. I'm not personally so blown away by discs that I've given up on rim brakes, and Pinarellos have excellent geometry and a pretty sterling reputation for ride quality. Good news is you've got two solid options.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:54 PM

In my opinion that Cannondale has nothing going for it. The price they're asking is fair given the warranty it comes with and they may even warranty the frame for life but Cannondale carbon frames are not ahead of any curve. They are fantastic bikes though.

You say you're done with aero bikes but I think the future of cycling will closely resemble what Gerard Vroomen is up to with the 3T Strada.

https://roadbikeaction.com/home-page...-the-3t-strada

Last edited by VTR1000SP2; 11-08-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:15 PM

Do you have to go new?

Have you considered titanium?

4 grand can get you a whole lotta bike.