Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2017, 01:42 AM

The TRP Mini-Vs have shorter arms than regular V-brakes so they use more standard road/canti cable travel. Travel Agents change the lever pull ratio so road or canti levers can actuate and standard V-brakes.

So it sounds like a gravel bike is an endurance bike with a higher BB and canti-mounts.

Last edited by Kontact; 11-06-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
The TRP Mini-Vs have shorter arms than regular V-brakes so they use more standard road/canti cable travel. Travel Agents change the lever pull ratio so road or canti levers can actuate and standard V-brakes.

So it sounds like a gravel bike is an endurance bike with a higher BB and canti-mounts.
A common thought of gravel bikes is disc brakes.

Higher bb is nice but not required.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:05 AM

It sounds like anything could be a gravel bike as long as it works for the rider.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
It sounds like anything could be a gravel bike as long as it works for the rider.
You could say the same of any type of bike though.

What "works for the rider" tends to have patterns across many riders, leading to common suggestions.

For gravel the only thing "required" would be thicker tires, everything else is personal preference (crazy people might still use thin tires but you get the idea). It's basically a mix of a road and mountain bike where you choose the features you want, especially since not everyone's terrain is the same.

Going on muddier or wetter terrain? Probably going to really want disc brakes over rim brakes and a titanium frame over something that can rust/corrode. Doing big bumps rather than just dirt/gravel? Probably going to go for suspension at least in the front and raised bb might be of more desire. Drop bars or flat bars are mostly personal preference, influenced also by terrain and how many downhills you have. How wide of tires depends on terrain and personal preference.

Last edited by cribbit; 11-06-2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:41 AM

This thread makes me want to buy an Eriksen!

Oh, and be Hank too.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:49 AM
ZhugeLiang

More than anything else, the free spirit of adventure, curiosity, exploration, risk-taking, and a deep appreciation for beauty, humanity and the surroundings - all of that which comes through clearly and regularly in velotel's writing and pictures, that's what makes a gravel bike a gravel bike.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
You could say the same of any type of bike though.

What "works for the rider" tends to have patterns across many riders, leading to common suggestions.

For gravel the only thing "required" would be thicker tires, everything else is personal preference (crazy people might still use thin tires but you get the idea). It's basically a mix of a road and mountain bike where you choose the features you want, especially since not everyone's terrain is the same.

Going on muddier or wetter terrain? Probably going to really want disc brakes over rim brakes and a titanium frame over something that can rust/corrode. Doing big bumps rather than just dirt/gravel? Probably going to go for suspension at least in the front and raised bb might be of more desire. Drop bars or flat bars are mostly personal preference, influenced also by terrain and how many downhills you have. How wide of tires depends on terrain and personal preference.
'Gravel', as in dirt road?..I ride dirt roads around the republic all the time with 25mm Vittoria Corsa Elites, on a Moots Vamoots and Merckx MXLeader..Friend of mine just did L'Eroica on same w/o any issue, on a 1980s something Merckx. Nice fat tires 'may' work 'better', but certainly not a requirement.

Wet, muddy, sloppy, a different scenario..as mentioned. But riding on a dirt road..anything works.

BUT, can't talk about 'gravel grindng' or GRoad bikes w/o the marketing blather..'gotta haves'..discs, tapered fork, thru axles, fat tires, 1 by, blah, blah...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-06-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:46 AM

Subscribed...as in I subscribe!
Old 11-06-2017, 12:18 PM

Great to hear some bike love, Hank. You're an inspiration for all of us.

I feel the same way about my Seven Evergreen I got a little over a year ago. I have a whole list of things I used to rationalize the purchase, but the most convincing one was that we were going on a 6+ month trip around the USA and I wanted a bike for dirt and road. With two sets of wheels, the bike is perfect. 25/28mm tires for the road and 40mm for dirt. I did some gorgeous road rides, like the mountains around Napa Valley, and some memorable dirt rides, like the singletrack in LaPine OR, the dirt roads in Custer SP in SD, and the Mickelson bike trail in SD.

Locally, we have a lot of trails and lots of nice roads, and the bike is a blast. Now that it's colder out, I head to the woods more and can keep warm.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph
Old 11-06-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotel View Post
Nice looking bike, of course, but that road is entirely too smooth! It's pretty cool the way these bikes let us avoid road with cars. And more fun. Cheers
Well, the road getting to that point was rougher and steeper. Hits 18%. But the light wasn't nearly as good !
Old 11-06-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
I enjoyed the writing. I'm curious what type of brakes you are using on the stoner bike? I'm building up a gravel bike with rim brakes and friends have recommended Paul Components for brake options. Great photos...enjoy.
I'm curious about your pedals - what are you using?
Old 11-06-2017, 08:38 PM
I <Heart> Dirt

If you have a bike, and you ride it on gravel/dirt roads, it's a gravel bike. Hell, more than a few of the big brands' "gravel" models are essentially disc-equipped road bikes with different tires and a wider-range cassette.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
If you have a bike, and you ride it on gravel/dirt roads, it's a gravel bike. Hell, more than a few of the big brands' "gravel" models are essentially disc-equipped road bikes with different tires and a wider-range cassette.
From 'Gravelbike'...he knows...

How are the wheels?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 AM
I <Heart> Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
From 'Gravelbike'...he knows...

How are the wheels?
The wheels are splendid. And I'm really glad I/we opted for the silver spokes. It's a nice change of pace from the all-black look.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Not too long ago, there were mountain bikes, now there are Trail, XC, Enduro, Downhill with varying specs within each category. Each of these is quite a bit different from the others with different geometry and component specs. These are not the same bikes with minor tweaks and different branding but different designed bikes for different purposes.

Can someone go mountain biking on a 90's Stumpjumper? Sure.

Can someone take any bike, go out on a trail and say they're mountain biking? Sure.

But does a MTB specifically designed for an intended terrain and purpose outperform. No argument - or if you do you're either a curmudgeon or just like to argue.

The point is that The Gravel Bike has evolved (and will continue to evolve) into its own specific genre.

I often will dart down a gravel road on my road bike with 25c tires and rim brakes, works just fine.

But if I'm going out on a true dedicated gravel ride I'm taking my disc brake equipped gravel bike with 38c Gravel Kings designed with much different geometry. The gravel roads in The Texas Hillcountry are rutted, washboard, stretches of deep sand, often very rocky with baby head size rocks. Best enjoyed on a dedicated gravel bike.

I'm sure there are gravel roads in many parts of the country that are more like paved roads but only dustier, rougher, and no traffic. Those don't require a dedicated gravel bike. Just like an easy flat trail in a neighbor park doesn't require a full suspension MTB with long travel.

We are far into the era of specialization. Argue all you want as to the drive for this, marketing hype, excessive consumerism, whatever.

And as far as The Gravel Bike is concerned, it's now firmly established as its own unique family of bikes. For good or bad.

For me, it's good.