Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 03:11 PM

Really? Tell me where because i live in the wealthiest county in the country and I can't pay for even a rapha water bottle.

It maybe because a lot of young people arent married? a lot of single people living together in DC area, is the only way for them to be able to make it there. Met a guy that bought a townhome and is living with 4 more guys, only way for him to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Agreed, disposable income isn't an issue in metro D.C.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:26 PM

This really comes across as bitter.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:33 PM

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple View Post
This really comes across as bitter.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:12 AM

Had a chance to meet a friend there for a coffee yesterday. It was an unusually cold day, but there were still about ten guys leaving the shop for a 62 miler. The space and the layout of the shop is a bit odd but the guys working there were really nice, even gave me a free espresso as I thawed out.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:53 AM

It's just a store to sell you average stuff at a premium price. To think of it as any sort of experience, is to be drinking from the rapha punch bowl.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Really? Tell me where because i live in the wealthiest county in the country and I can't pay for even a rapha water bottle.

Quick search shows $30 for a rebranded camelback bottle.... that's not what I was expecting but certainly affordable. Perhaps you should change "can't" to "won't."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcha View Post
Had a chance to meet a friend there for a coffee yesterday. It was an unusually cold day, but there were still about ten guys leaving the shop for a 62 miler. The space and the layout of the shop is a bit odd but the guys working there were really nice, even gave me a free espresso as I thawed out.
Interesting. I’ll have to keep that in mind. My usual group didn’t ride.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:10 AM

Hi guys, it's a Pop Up. By definition (or at least our definition!) it's a very lean fit-out. We just want to dip our toe in the market -- meet the people in the scene, learn the rides, discover the way we can best contribute to DC's amazing cycling culture.

It'll stay open until the end of January.

We'll open our permanent store on Grace St. in Georgetown (right around the corner from Patagonia, Sweetgreen, etc) on/around May 1. It will be a beautiful space, and we'll be slightly more invested in the fit-out than what you see in the Pop Up.

DC is an amazing area -- both as a cyclist and as a tourist. The community has welcomed us with open arms and we're super-excited to be part of things there. Thx, Brendan
Old 11-13-2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Quirk View Post
Hi guys, it's a Pop Up. By definition (or at least our definition!) it's a very lean fit-out. We just want to dip our toe in the market -- meet the people in the scene, learn the rides, discover the way we can best contribute to DC's amazing cycling culture.

It'll stay open until the end of January.

We'll open our permanent store on Grace St. in Georgetown (right around the corner from Patagonia, Sweetgreen, etc) on/around May 1. It will be a beautiful space, and we'll be slightly more invested in the fit-out than what you see in the Pop Up.

DC is an amazing area -- both as a cyclist and as a tourist. The community has welcomed us with open arms and we're super-excited to be part of things there. Thx, Brendan
Thanks Brendan, Looking forward to the permanent location opening ooening up in may, and joining RcC.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
It's just a store to sell you average stuff at a premium price. To think of it as any sort of experience, is to be drinking from the rapha punch bowl.
A+

And does anyone think there are people on thrifty shopping forums discussing the merits of different Walmart stores.

Or comparing Sam's Club vs. Walmart.

Or when & where to find the best promo codes for cyber Monday at Walmart?

Replace 'Walmart' with 'Rapha' and welcome to the forum!

Rapha is has lost all it's cache. It jumped the shark years ago, the Walton ownership just sealed the deal.

Just the same as when JAB Holdings became a majority owner of Stumptown & Intelligentsia.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:06 PM

Rapha walks a fine line. Nice stuff with a good fit, and a good representation of a lifestyle that many folks would like. And yes, it's a bit on the expensive side. And their presence has upped the game of the competition, which is a good thing if you ride and like more stylish gear. No way folks like Cafe du Cycliste and even Castelli would be putting out such nice stuff if it weren't for Rapha.

DC has a great cycling community, and the roads are fine. Some are better than others, but there are very few places in the northeast where you can ride this much of the year, and there's great gravel, too.

I've been on a couple of Saturday rides, and they were great. Good pace (but not insane), and a real attempt to integrate all, including friendly hellos to other groups riding. Indeed, there was a lot less elitist BS that there are in some other group rides.

I'm glad they're here and I can check out some things in-person before buying them. Happy to do my best to support them, and I might even join the club. But no, I'm not holding out for the hope that they'll be inviting me to buy one of the new invitation-only Canyons, which from a marketing point of view seems to be a bit of a faux pas.

Last edited by adrien; 11-13-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:07 PM

I would love to see that $30 bottle because the highest price online is $14 each.

And if you buy the bundle, they are then $10 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm View Post
Quick search shows $30 for a rebranded camelback bottle.... that's not what I was expecting but certainly affordable. Perhaps you should change "can't" to "won't."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by dbnm; 11-13-2017 at 04:37 PM.