Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
The breath-ability aspect of any rain jacket requires some type power to drive moisture from the inside to the outside across a rain jacket barrier. A garment/jacket could be Gore-Tex, E-Vent, any ePTFE membrane,…….etc. Moisture, perspiration on the inside of a garment will not migrate from an area of lower concentration to an area of higher concentration, all by itself. Interior moisture, interior vapor pressure is the only current force which propels perspiration across a rain jacket barrier to the outside, through a difference in pressure, or a pressure gradient. In order to reach that magic pressure gradient number, the interior of any garment must reach approximately 70% humidity to be effective. Dry and breathable is a marketing fallacy and is not possible with current materials and nature!
Yup. Another factor to consider is that for the vapor to migrate from inside to outside, the outer surface has to be essentially dry. This is accomplished by treating the outer surface with a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) treatment. The DWR treatment prevents water from adhering to the surface, so the water just beads up and runs off (i.e. the outer surface remains essentially dry). But the DWR treatment can wear off over time, or can be defeated by contamination with oils. When this happens, the outer surface of the fabric can become saturated with liquid water, and when the outer surface is wet vapor migration from the inside stops.

Personally, I find that W/B fabrics work fine for activities with intermittent exertion, such as alpine (downhill) skiing. But for activities with continuous moderate to heavy exertion (such as cycling or Nordic skiing), it isn't much better than simple coated fabric. For these activities, good venting of the garment becomes more important for moisture evaporation.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:02 PM
Recreational User

Just wanted to say that I am loving the Gore Bike Wear 1985 One jacket. One of the new shakedry jackets. I ride year round here in the PNW and absolutely love it. Wish it was available in other colors, but it is not and the fabric can not be dyed. Only unknown for me is the long term durability, but no issues yet. I find myself wearing it days on like this where it is not even raining. I do wish it was easier to access back jersey pockets, but there are tradeoffs with such a small minimal light packable jacket and I am okay with that.

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?"
Old 11-12-2017, 09:37 AM

had my first wet ride of the rainy season here in SFBay Area. unfortunately relied on internet weather predictions than looking at the sky with my own eyes. Steady showers for a hour or so which completely soaked my wool jersey, but fortunately had my vest to keep my core warm and bike with fenders to keep the spray off. Also temps were mild in the high 50's to low 60's. as others have commented, it was really about keeping warm, not dry. i was wet but very comfortable, although I would have be probably happier with my Gabba jersey.
I think rain jacket choice really depends on use, as I am in the market for one currently. I don't need a waterproof jacket for my weekend rides as I can keep myself warm with what I currently have. I would like a waterproof shell for my commutes when I want to be dry. of course on rainy days, I would have to ride slower to work to avoid getting wet from my own sweat. this way, I don't have to go searching for the elusive waterproof but breathable holy grail. doesn't mean I'll settle for a vinyl garbage bag, but at least I can be realistic.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etu View Post
had my first wet ride of the rainy season here in SFBay Area. unfortunately relied on internet weather predictions than looking at the sky with my own eyes. Steady showers for a hour or so which completely soaked my wool jersey, but fortunately had my vest to keep my core warm and bike with fenders to keep the spray off. Also temps were mild in the high 50's to low 60's. as others have commented, it was really about keeping warm, not dry. i was wet but very comfortable, although I would have be probably happier with my Gabba jersey.
I think rain jacket choice really depends on use, as I am in the market for one currently. I don't need a waterproof jacket for my weekend rides as I can keep myself warm with what I currently have. I would like a waterproof shell for my commutes when I want to be dry. of course on rainy days, I would have to ride slower to work to avoid getting wet from my own sweat. this way, I don't have to go searching for the elusive waterproof but breathable holy grail. doesn't mean I'll settle for a vinyl garbage bag, but at least I can be realistic.

What size are you? I have a medium SturmprinzEvo that I'm looking to unload after I downsized. It's pretty much the waterproof/breatheable holy grail in my experience, and it puts the Gabba to shame on those 50-60 degree days
Old 11-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
What size are you? I have a medium SturmprinzEvo that I'm looking to unload after I downsized. It's pretty much the waterproof/breatheable holy grail in my experience, and it puts the Gabba to shame on those 50-60 degree days
Gabba 2 is a great jersey for rain. However I would prefer the Gore Shake Dry over it in the Bay area for two reasons:

1) Cooler: the shake dry is cooler. Not saying the gabba is a cooker but the shake dry is cooler jacket.

2) Layering: the shake dry is very compact and light. In the Bay area temperatures can range 10 or degrees F within a mile and much greater in ride. The problem with the gabba is you really cannot layer with it. The shakedry is ideal since it is a jacket and is super compact.

If I ride in a Pineapple express (3 hours of downpours) I will wear the shakedry over my gabba 2. Other than that I rarely wear my gabba for rain anymore because the shakeday checks the boxes that the gabba 2 did and more.

Last edited by joosttx; 11-12-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:51 PM

Gore Shake Dry sounds like a great product. Just wish they had an option with high viz color/stripes, etc.
The GORE Oxygen is a also nice jacket, but too tight across the chest, race/slim cut - hence my medium is on the block in the classified.
I am thinking something a little less more relaxed fit for the commute or slow, steady rides in rain when I am not generating enough heat to keep myself warm.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:17 PM

Gore

If you think the Oxygen is tight- you will not like the Shake Dry.

Quote:
Gore Shake Dry sounds like a great product. Just wish they had an option with high viz color/stripes, etc.
The GORE Oxygen is a also nice jacket, but too tight across the chest, race/slim cut - hence my medium is on the block in the classified.
I am thinking something a little less more relaxed fit for the commute or slow, steady rides in rain when I am not generating enough heat to keep myself warm.