Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Gravel Sub Compact

Check out the new FSA Adventure Cranks using their line of crank arms paired with Sub Compact road chain rings for gravel riding and touring Choose from 32/48 or 30/46 combos, and they are compatible with standard road cassette and derailleurs.

I use the 46/30 combo on my Niner RLT and its great.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:08 PM
aka RAEKWON

I like my VBC crank a lot. Love the possible combos, I run it as 48-30 and its excellent. I am still on the square taper one as it still is in great shape. Would love to upgrade but don't think this crank will die any time soon. Been thinking about putting one on my hampsten instead of the super record (love the 30t in the front for the crazy hills) but every time I ride I feel like so far I have not needed it so the idea dies.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:45 PM

I'm using an Ultegra 11 speed cyclocross crankset with 46/36 rings. I would think you should be able to find an appropriate 30 to replace the inner ring.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
I'm using an Ultegra 11 speed cyclocross crankset with 46/36 rings. I would think you should be able to find an appropriate 30 to replace the inner ring.
Don't these use an Asymmetrical 4-Arm 110mm BCD setup which means 34t is as low as it will go.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
"Old BB standard" = square taper= no noises
This ^^^^
Old 10-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
Don't these use an Asymmetrical 4-Arm 110mm BCD setup which means 34t is as low as it will go.
Correct..
Old 11-07-2017, 09:07 PM

Two more options maybe not previously mentioned:

1) IRD Lobo cranks with versatile chainring sized like a WI VBC. And similarly, comes in black and silver:
http://store.interlocracing.com/loacr.html

2) Dimension 110, square taper, and you can select your own rings. This is good for those who don't want to be tied into a manufacture's ring ecosystem. Could even go with Rotor 46-30 elliptical rings, if desired.

https://dimensionbikeproducts.com/pr...ets/cyclocross

Old 11-07-2017, 09:23 PM

I don't know why the OP wouldn't want the double BCD of the Sugino or IRD cranks. That sounds like the ideally engineered solution for a 46/30 crankset.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:08 PM

I am using a Sugino OX901 crank with 48/30 rings and a Shimano hollowtech bottom bracket. These are available on Ebay from Japan. These are subcompact, adventure, supercompact cranks. There were few available in the past but several are coming on the market now. They work great with conventional road cassettes to get wider, lower gearing.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Dimension 110, square taper, and you can select your own rings.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I was in the market for a 46-30 setup, and this looks like it will fit the bill perfectly. I went ahead and ordered one.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 AM

For those that are running the 48t big ring. How do you like it?

For me the 50t was a weird size. I ended up liking a 52t better. Not sure why but I seemed to be able to push 52x16 ~86" gear more comfortably that a 50x14 ~94" too tall and a 50x16 ~83" too short.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
Wow, Thanks everyone for the responses! Some options in here that I had not thought of.

I'd like it to use a modern BB standard and have plenty of chainring option, especially to to smaller than 32t or 30t, so it still looks to me like the WI is what I want.

Thanks again everyone!
Not sure what you mean by modern BB standard, I assume you mean PF30 or some other "modern" BB.

Hard to beat the 68BSA (actually it's BCS buts that's a different topic)

Gravel bikes take a beating and dirt/dust gets into everything. I've ridden roads where it's fine dust and that gets into areas I thought impossible.

Because of that, gravel bikes require far more upkeep. Using a BSA maes that a cake walk.

BSA BB's are relatively cheap, super reliable, and blindingly simple to swap out. And, they usually can be found everywhere.

I've serviced plenty of press fit BB's. They're also relatively easy but can be problematic and a pain in the ass. As far as riding gravel/back roads, they offer no advantages but often come with frustrations and issues.

It's easily the best option for a gravel bike.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Not sure what you mean by modern BB standard, I assume you mean PF30 or some other "modern" BB.

Hard to beat the 68BSA (actually it's BCS buts that's a different topic)

Gravel bikes take a beating and dirt/dust gets into everything. I've ridden roads where it's fine dust and that gets into areas I thought impossible.

Because of that, gravel bikes require far more upkeep. Using a BSA maes that a cake walk.

BSA BB's are relatively cheap, super reliable, and blindingly simple to swap out. And, they usually can be found everywhere.

I've serviced plenty of press fit BB's. They're also relatively easy but can be problematic and a pain in the ass. As far as riding gravel/back roads, they offer no advantages but often come with frustrations and issues.

It's easily the best option for a gravel bike.
Actually, I wrote that incorrectly. I want a modern spindle, AKA 24mm or what not. I actually agree that a threaded BB is still the best choice, and all my bikes still have threaded bottom brackets. I just don't want square taper, ISIS, Octalink, or something like that. On my MTB's I've been running SRAM GXP cranksets and bottom brackets for years with great results, so wanted to stick with something like that.

And to answer others questions, I really hate the look of a crankset with 2 chainrings on 2 different BCDs, just doesn't look right to me. Don't remember if I updated this, but I ended up ordering 2 TA rings for the SRAM Force 22 compact crankset that I already have. I ordered a 46t and a 33t, which is as small as you can get for a normal 110 BCD crank. I just mounted them and they look beautiful!

Before getting these, I tried using an SRAM MTB spider on the Force crank, but it was a no go. I used a 4 bolt 104 spider and 46t & 32t rings, but the resulting chainline was far too big.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
On my MTB's I've been running SRAM GXP cranksets and bottom brackets for years with great results, so wanted to stick with something like that.
I'd have to agree!

I ended up ordering 2 TA rings for the SRAM Force 22 compact crankset that I already have. I ordered a 46t and a 33t, which is as small as you can get for a normal 110 BCD crank. I just mounted them and they look beautiful!
It would be nice if you could post a beautiful photo of those "beautiful" cranks!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I'm no racer, and if I'm spun out in 46x11, I should be coasting anyway!
I'm all about this!!

And can I just say: this is the sort of thread that makes me keep coming back here. I've been thinking of this for a long time, but have never spent the time to think about what I need to know. The wealth of information in the brains of the people posting here is staggering.

Thanks, everyone, for participating!

Last edited by pncguy; 11-08-2017 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added more!