Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post
Praxis Alba goes down to a 48/32. Nice understated look.

Note: The Praxis Alba requires special proprietary chainrings. If Praxis ever stops making these special chainrings, this crankset will become obsolete.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:38 AM

Wow, Thanks everyone for the responses! Some options in here that I had not thought of.

I did so the wider Q factor of the 30mm White Industry cranks, but I'm not real sensitive to that anyway, so not too concerned. Heck, my current MTB has an 83mm BB! After some more research, it is pretty pricey though, but it does have all of the other features I'm looking for. I do like the look of 5 arm cranks and rings better than 4 bolt, so that's another plus.

The low Q SRAM XX MTN cranks are a good suggestion. Can be had for a decent price, especially used, and about the same Q factor as the WI crank. Not a fan of the aesthetics though, but they are nice and light! Rings are also a little smaller than I originally planned, but it would probably work.

Can't find the Rotor 46/30 combo somebody mentioned.

I think I will use the carbon SRAM crank and 104 spider I already have for right now and get cheapish 46t and 32t rings and start with that. If I'm going to spend big money on something new, I'd like it to use a modern BB standard and have plenty of chainring option, especially to to smaller than 32t or 30t, so it still looks to me like the WI is what I want.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-06-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
Can't find the Rotor 46/30 combo somebody mentioned.
https://r2-bike.com/ROTOR-Chainring-...or-Rotor-Crank
Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 AM

i think

Shimano mtb front derailleur cable ratio not compatible with STI road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
As I said, my bet would be yes. It's not an expensive experiment. I suppose, though, that you could just go directly to an XT or XTR 2x10 or 2x11 FD and that should work beautifully.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
This is correct.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Use a vintage one then? A FD is a comically simple device and I have never had an issue with mixing shifters and FDs from other brands on a 2x drivetrain. Maybe I've been lucky or maybe the SRAM XX FD will actually work well with Shimano road shifters.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Also any road triple crank, either 130/74mm or 135/74mm..then use the middle position with short(track) CR bolts and then any smaller CR for the inner..38/22 smallest(130mm)..39/22(135mm)
On a gravel bike, I did this with a square taper Ritchey Logic crank, 46 in the 110 middle position, 30 in the 74 small position, and a chainring guard in the outer, 110 position. It doesn't look bad at all, and with a chain guide, will never drop a chain.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:29 PM

If you can live with the 48/32 the Praxis is a really nice option. I just installed mine this morning and the BB is super easy, solid and the crank looks great (understated).
Old 10-06-2017, 12:50 PM

Doesn't that Praxis crankset have the same BCD as the OP has now (110)?
Old 10-06-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob62 View Post
Has to be something non-standard about it to achieve a 32t ring.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob62 View Post
It has a special design to allow a little more clearance between the chain and the spider arms. Specifically, it does not use chainring nuts - the chainring bolt screws directly into the inner chainring. This allows the chainring bolt hole diameter to be reduced, which in turn allows the ends of the spider arms to be shaved down a bit, which in turn gives clearance for the chain to run on a smaller chainring (a 2 tooth smaller chainring to be specific).

Therefore, this crank requires special chainrings (with threaded holes) and longer chainring bolts.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
It has a special design to allow a little more clearance between the chain and the spider arms. Specifically, it does not use chainring nuts - the chainring bolt screws directly into the inner chainring. This allows the chainring bolt hole diameter to be reduced, which in turn allows the ends of the spider arms to be shaved down a bit, which in turn gives clearance for the chain to run on a smaller chainring (a 2 tooth smaller chainring to be specific).

Therefore, this crank requires special chainrings (with threaded holes) and longer chainring bolts.
AHA! Thanks! (I knew I was missing something.....)
Old 10-06-2017, 01:26 PM

Apparently the Praxis requires a proprietary BB too. It tapers from 30mm to 28mm. I really like this crankset, but the proprietary rings and BB have me spooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
If you can live with the 48/32 the Praxis is a really nice option. I just installed mine this morning and the BB is super easy, solid and the crank looks great (understated).
Old 10-06-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Apparently the Praxis requires a proprietary BB too. It tapers from 30mm to 28mm. I really like this crankset, but the proprietary rings and BB have me spooked.
Agree that's a lot of proprietary stuff for a 2T drop in chainring size. It does look nice though. As I said, with the cranks I have now I can get down to 32t, so the Praxis is out.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:03 PM

Waiting for more options too

We need more options and I hope someone steps up to the plate soon.

I have the sugino ox601d crankset 46/30 and like the it a lot. However when I need to replace the big ring when its worn I haven't found that many options because it is essentially a 46 "middle" ring. The big ring needs to have the countersunk holes for the chainring bolts on the inside of the ring because it attaches to the inside of the spider, not the outside like most road outer chainrings. Kinda heavy like tiagra level weight.

kinda proprietary... unless somone can enlighten me on other options.

White VBC is what I considered too but you are definitely committing to White's proprietary rings too.

Sram mountain cranks 42/28 are cool too if you are ok with wider q factor and that you need to run MTB front derailleur. Seems 10spd sram would be the way to go for easy of road an mtb compatibility. Then again 120/80 bcd chainrings aren't really as common are they?

I looked into it but haven't messed with swapping mtb spiders onto road cranks so I don't have much incite there. If anyone can set me straight on this I would love a proven setup explanation.

Not too familiar with Rotor cranks one piece spiderrings though looks like.

The retro cranks won't look right on most builds and again strange bcd rings.

I didn't see anyone mention the various FSA Adventure Crankshttp://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/ty...-crankset-4257
Not even sure if they are out yet, but seems there is love or hate for FSA and you are locked in to their rings for sure with that crankset.

My ideal crank would be 110/74 bcd like the sugino ox601d with the big ring mounted on the outside of the spider so I could run any standard 110bcd 46t cyclocross ring and touring 30t inner ring.

nerdem whining over.