Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 10:30 AM
aka RAEKWON

beyond burger is fine, really greasy and tastes nothing like a real burger. The impossible is miles ahead of the beyond as far as close to meat taste.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwurst View Post
I have a bunch of venison burger in my freezer and within the next couple of hours I'm gonna fire up the grill and cook a couple of rib eye steaks so chances of me eating fake meat are slim and none and slim just left town.
The same people who do this are the ones who repeat that lame "how do you know if someone is vegan" comment. Be original.

A shout out for the Beyond Burger too. It's widely available now and Sysco has picked up. I think it's delicious, although the restaurant versions I've had are careless. Easy at home.

Friends who have had both say Impossible is even more realistic.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:44 AM

$14+ for a faux meat burger...... once, maybe, for the experience but there's no way that would I pay that much regularly for a hamburg whether it is made from beef or plants.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:42 PM

agreed, but definitely would try one. Pictures look pretty appetizing. Are boca burgers still around?
Old 09-25-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
$14+ for a faux meat burger...... once, maybe, for the experience but there's no way that would I pay that much regularly for a hamburg whether it is made from beef or plants.
Agree. I think it's part of their launch product positioning though- putting it in gourmet restaurants that sell $15 burgers and saying it's good enough for these picky consumers, should be good enough for home/foodservice. This is V1.0 production too, so scale economics are not in play yet.

I hope that the technology and food science becomes more affordable. I would like an alternative to animal meat for animal meat recipes. The science behind the food is very interesting, and less intensive than say muscle cell culture. That's being worked on right now too, but I haven't heard much about that recently.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:37 PM

I tried an impossible burger tonight. It looked real and tasted mostly real. I definitely missed the fats of a quality burger. In a burger it was fine but just plain you could taste a difference compared to beef. I like beef better or a more nutritious veggie burger.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:26 AM

thnaks for the update and pics.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:43 AM

Plant based but no dietary fiber? And 50 percent of your daily allotment of saturated fat from a 3 ounce serving? Probably pass,