Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2017, 12:33 PM

If you don't mind, can you take a pic of the rear dropouts? I am only used to seeing Moots' with the Breezer style dropouts. Curious as to what they used to use. Thanks!! Matthew
Old 10-29-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngroup View Post
That would be perfect! Maybe in the future if I can find someone to match the white.
The straight-legged Max fork looks really good on this frame; great choice.

The white crown really would look fantastic, with the shorelines black and the cutout green to match the down tube details...and especially with that inexpensive Moots stem you'll find....

Last edited by cadence90; 07-28-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:54 PM

That's what I'm talking about!
Old 10-29-2017, 02:20 PM

Ohhhhhhhhh.

Does anybody want the cheezy worthless Enve off my Hampsten?
Old 10-29-2017, 02:34 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post

The white crown really would look fantastic, with the shorelines black and the cutout green to match the down tube details...and especially with that inexpensive Moots stem you'll find....
I would even go full white with the green crown. I think that woulda been even better
Old 10-29-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I would even go full white with the green crown. I think that woulda been even better
Do you mean white legs and green crown? I have to disagree; I think it would look pretty heavy and imbalanced. Imo:
1) the "ti" fork legs work well with the bare ti parts of the frame; even more so given all the silver components.
2) the "ti" fork legs would work very well with an eventual ti stem; white legs not so much.
3) the crown alone in white is just enough to tie it all together.
4) the green cutout mirrors the subtlety of the green dt/st decals and the headset.
5) the crown shorelines are the natural place for the black fade, as on the dt, st, ss.

But, it's all subjective and five people would probably choose five different schemes.

I'm just trying to help the op visualize a ti stem and what I understood to be zzy's earlier white-crown suggestion.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:

This is awesome! Thank you!!!
Old 10-29-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
If you don't mind, can you take a pic of the rear dropouts? I am only used to seeing Moots' with the Breezer style dropouts. Curious as to what they used to use. Thanks!! Matthew
I'll upload a pic but they are the standard Breezer style dropouts.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:36 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Do you mean white legs and green crown? I have to disagree; I think it would look pretty heavy and imbalanced. Imo:
1) the "ti" fork legs work well with the bare ti parts of the frame; even more so given all the silver components.
2) the "ti" fork legs would work very well with an eventual ti stem; white legs not so much.
3) the crown alone in white is just enough to tie it all together.
4) the green cutout mirrors the subtlety of the green dt/st decals and the headset.
5) the crown shorelines are the natural place for the black fade, as on the dt, st, ss.

But, it's all subjective and five people would probably choose five different schemes.

I'm just trying to help the op visualize a ti stem and what I understood to be zzy's earlier white-crown suggestion.

yes, white blades.

I think it would look more balanced. white goes almost till the end of the ST and DT so its weird that it just stops at top of fork. Again imo as well.

well I guess white doesnt go as long on the ST. This looks good as well but something feels off.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:37 PM

The paint on the Moots is interesting. The black edge appears to trace an arc, about the shape of the wheel shifted forward (although the paint on the dropout does not match that shape). In keeping with that, I think an all white fork would have been best, but understand that the color would be very hard to match. I think the solid silver is the next best alternative. The black also has a fade to white as opposed to being a simple band. It would be difficult to mimic that on the fork.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Vendor

The question I have is if it's a Hampsten, why have it repainted with Moots graphics?
I know who makes it. So I get having the Moots name. But why when you bought it as a Hampsten?
Not slamming you or anything. Just wondering is all.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
The question I have is if it's a Hampsten, why have it repainted with Moots graphics?
I know who makes it. So I get having the Moots name. But why when you bought it as a Hampsten?
Not slamming you or anything. Just wondering is all.
I don't think this is the case at all.

My understanding is that the op's frame, as pictured in post #1, etc., is in fact, as he stated, an original, older Moots frame, while the Hampsten frame pictured in post #12 was shown only because of the Hampsten Max fork painted to match a ti frame...the Moots and the Hampsten are not the same frame.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:

My understanding is that the op's frame, as pictured in post #1, etc., is in fact, as he stated, an original, older Moots frame, while the Hampsten frame pictured in post #12 was shown only because of the Hampsten Max fork painted to match a ti frame...the Moots and the Hampsten are not the same frame.
This is correct. The frame is a 1998 Moots with original paint. It came with an aftermarket fork and I reached out to both Moots and Hampsten about a replacement fork. Steve was happy to build the fork and I just updated the thread yesterday to show the final build pics.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:19 PM
Administrator

i think the final outcome looks 100% fantastic. well done, good choice!
Old 10-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Vendor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngroup View Post
This is correct. The frame is a 1998 Moots with original paint. It came with an aftermarket fork and I reached out to both Moots and Hampsten about a replacement fork. Steve was happy to build the fork and I just updated the thread yesterday to show the final build pics.

Gotcha. I kind of skimmed thru the comments. More just wanted to see the bike and the build. It turned out nice.