Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
You're still not getting it, Peter. Why don't you show us a high end production steel fork produced today?
W'ford is high-end-ish, no? They are mid-production, eh? Will it have kittens if pressed into service?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boxtopcrown.jpg (77.1 KB, 341 views)
Old 07-14-2017, 06:02 PM
Steel..what else??

Quote:
You're still not getting it, Peter. Why don't you show us a high end production steel fork produced today?
http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Colna...2/m-17165.aspx
Old 07-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
W'ford is high-end-ish, no?
Yeah.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:08 PM
aka RAEKWON

How much dis the old ritchey logic fork weight?

Ill go ahead and say, on a bike like this I rather have a carbon fork.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
For sure, few if any companies offer PRODUCTION steel frames for the high end market-there's little money to be made there.

But the OP doesn't mention PRODUCTION forks. And not to split a hair but, those frames he mentions from the 80's and 90's (which would include Serotta) WERE made with high quality steel from Columbus and Reynolds. Heck; even Trek's 760 series top end road frame was built with either Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL forks.

If you're still interested in who offers a high end production fork, while Waterford has already been mentioned, you can also include their other house brand, Gunnar.

The way I understood the OP's commentary is ANY high quality steel fork would not pass those unspecified strength and safety standards and the implication was that only carbon forks could pass such tests. So was it determined that steel forks jeopadized safety? Or did some agency determine that stronger forks were necessary? History doesn't bear this out.

Since it was already proven that high end production forks could be built that were strong and safe (see the above paragraph) I didn't see the process being so difficult that it was only in the realm of custom builders, and they were and are using the same materials today.

The custom fork on my Soulcraft Royale gives up nothing in strength or safety to a carbon fork, and any weight penalty isn't enough to be worth discussing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soulcraft Fork.jpg (133.4 KB, 404 views)

Last edited by Peter P.; 07-14-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Agreed. Only the younger generation doesn't realize you can repeatedly align a steel derailleur hanger whereas with aluminum you just stock up on replacements...
Yes, however did they build bikes for 50 years without replaceable hangers? Easy, they didn't need them. Worst case, you drill out the hanger tab and put the Problem solvers nut and ride some more.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:15 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
For sure, few if any companies offer PRODUCTION steel frames for the high end market-there's little money to be made there.

But the OP doesn't mention PRODUCTION forks. And not to split a hair but, those frames he mentions from the 80's and 90's (which would include Serotta) WERE made with high quality steel from Columbus and Reynolds. Heck; even Trek's 760 series top end road frame was built with either Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL forks.

If you're still interested in who offers a high end production fork, while Waterford has already been mentioned, you can also include their other house brand, Gunnar.

The way I understood the OP's commentary is ANY high quality steel fork would not pass those unspecified strength and safety standards and the implication was that only carbon forks could pass such tests. So was it determined that steel forks jeopadized safety? Or did some agency determine that stronger forks were necessary? History doesn't bear this out.

Since it was already proven that high end production forks could be built that were strong and safe (see the above paragraph) I didn't see the process being so difficult that it was only in the realm of custom builders, and they were and are using the same materials today.

The custom fork on my Soulcraft Royale gives up nothing in strength or safety to a carbon fork, and any weight penalty isn't enough to be worth discussing.
All the forks you mentioned are very nice but none are not technically production forks.

No clue why no one is making ultra light steel forks which were fine on bikes in the 80s and 90s because I don't think they pose safety risks myself but from what I read, apparently they can't pass some safety tests.

I don't think any carbon fork is more safe than a steel fork and I would love for there to be more steel forks because they have their place for sure.

As far as weight and stiffness goes, everyone will have their opinions on it. Carbon might be stiffer but do we really want such a stiff fork? even a light steel fork will wait more than half over a carbon fork but do we really need that light of a fork?

also, that soulcraft fork is gorgeous.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
How much dis the old ritchey logic fork weight?

Ill go ahead and say, on a bike like this I rather have a carbon fork.
My 98 logic fork was around 680 grams. My friend's 1996 Landshark steel fork was around 540 grams, which at the time seemed super light.

Last edited by yashcha; 07-14-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:46 PM
commuter racer

looks hot.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:50 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcha View Post
My 98 logic fork was around 680 grams. My friend's 1996 Landshark steel fork was around 540 grams, which at the time seemed super light.
Both impressive.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:53 AM

Della Santa sells his bikes with steel forks. Unfortunately they are 1" size.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Ritchey's customer service/warranty sucks.

My experience is the opposite. I dented my frame and get a no questions asked replacement for around $650, as I recall. It was a full up frame and fork and headset too. Went through the dealer I bought it from.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
My experience is the opposite. I dented my frame and get a no questions asked replacement for around $650, as I recall. It was a full up frame and fork and headset too. Went through the dealer I bought it from.
A lot of times the dealer's relationship with Ritchey determines ease of 'warranty'. Also who ya talk to on the phone. We had a swiss cross with a slipping seatpost(Ritchey SP) and the first guy gave us the 'thousand yard stare' on the phone, went up a rung, also included the outside rep(really good rep)...and got an answer..Unfortunately it was a production glitch..their answer was a 27.4mm seat post, which wouldn't even go in..finally got a replacement frame.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:59 AM

For a $1200 frame and fork that usually goes on sale for <$1k, do people actually swap for another $500 fork? Curious because I wouldn't, especially if it is color matched. I like the way it looks.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:33 PM

So, for those that have tried a lot of production and custom frames... Della Santa, Curtlo, Ebisu, BMC, Rivendell, Milwaukee... some very solid sources for a great riding steel frame that can fit fatter tires, whether stock or affordable custom. How does the Ritchey compare? Are there any particulars wrt fit (e.g. LeMond frames that seem to have with longer top tubes, etc.)?..

FWIW, I've ridden steel frames from ~10 different makers and the Ebisu 650b seems to hit the sweet spot for me now.