Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2017, 06:37 PM

Tubeless alternatives to Compass 700x35?

About to pull off my 700x38 Triggers and put on summer adventuring tires and my rear Compass is lookin' pretty worn, and the sidewalls have always been a sealant weeping mess. Thought I'd order a replacement as the default but they're OOS.

Also when I "accidentally" (ok on purpose) inflated to 65 psi they blew off the rim with a bang.. which seems a bit of a narrow margin of error.

So what else is there in near-slick, supple, light (BJP is 355g) tubeless 700x35ish tires I should consider?
Old 03-31-2017, 07:16 PM

The Hutchinson Overide 700x35 looks promising.

I've used the Hutchinson Black Mamba CX 700x34 file tread for a bit and think it is the most supple and dependable tubeless tire I've tried, approaching Compass goodness. I was delighted with the news of the semi-slick gravel Overide in 35 and 38 widths. The weights are low (375g), suggesting that it isn't overbuilt and probably has a very excellent ride like the Black Mamba CX.

http://www.veloderoute.com/photos/ne...7307219073.jpgon the left

fwiw I wanted to like the Schwalbe G-One 35, but it's a crazy stiff tire with a treat pattern that acts as a magnet for grit.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 03-31-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 PM

I'm skeptical of anything with significant tread - I wish I could get over it, maybe it doesn't really matter and it is all in my head? It just looks like less rubber on the road.

Or I should really stop railing descents.. but I do. The Specialized Triggers were definitely sketchy at velocity (40-50 mph descents with switchbacks, etc.)

Whatever tires are on the bike are going to tackle a bunch of the most challenging and remote climbs in the USA, so I am looking to feel good about them.

The Hutchinson Sectors come in 700x32 @ 315g, maybe I have to give up some of the plush for security on descents.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:18 AM

That's a bummer to hear the Triggers got squirrelly at speed, I had been meaning to try them.

The 28mm Sector is an excellent tire, so I assume the 32mm is more of a good thing.

Rode the 28s @ 80psi on a tour through the White Mountains of NH and they were excellent at those speeds, even while rolling over crap pavement. Saw a lot of rain that trip and can say that wet grip is also pretty good.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:56 AM
ferro verum est

heard good things about the Specialized Roubaix Pro 2BR, also Schwalbe G-One Speed. Both options are 30c
Old 04-01-2017, 11:06 AM

I'm happy with my Clement MSO - http://clementcycling.com/xplor-mso

A little tread, but handle road/gravel/singletrack all just fine and are good tubeless. Maybe a little overkill for only road riding, but, so is a 35mm slick.

The Maxxis refuse might be a good choice, also tubeless and 32mm

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-511-136-re-fuse
Old 04-01-2017, 11:17 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
heard good things about the Specialized Roubaix Pro 2BR, also Schwalbe G-One Speed. Both options are 30c
I ran the Specialized Roubaix on a bikepacking trip. It's really nice, fast rolling and a bit of thread for extra traction and cross terrain versatility. I got them in May last year when Specialized would run their annual discount program, buy one get one free, so it only cost me $40 for both tires. I would buy again if they run the promotion this year.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:35 PM

Thanks guys - that Re-Fuse also looks like an option.

No criticism of the Triggers - I think anything with side knobs is going to be sketchy at speed when leaned over.

Also I find 700x35 great on the road - more than that and things get a little too squishy for me.

But 700x32 Refuse or Sector could be in the running to try out!
Old 04-01-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Or I should really stop railing descents.. but I do. The Specialized Triggers were definitely sketchy at velocity (40-50 mph descents with switchbacks, etc.)
Uhh, dude? It sounds like they held up rather well, considering their size and tread composition, at that velocity. My 700x33 Triggers measure to 36mm wide on Pacenti SL23s.

The ride is not what I would consider supple, but I would't even try to descend as hard as I have on these (@ 50 PSI) with other cross tires with more tread, on pavement (does 5K' over 12 miles, plenty of tight switchbacks count?). I, maybe, reached 40 MPH. Rider size/weight may make the difference.

Last edited by YesNdeed; 04-01-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:05 PM
'97 Ti Legend

I ride the Maxxis Refuse 32 tubeless, and they feel pretty good. Likely less supple that the Compass, but my gravel ride goes up 9 miles on dirt and back down about the same distance on pavement and I'll drive them into corners pretty hard. There are places on the dirt climbs I wish I had a bit more tread, but given the decent, I think this is a good all around tire.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:26 PM

The Refuse are quite heavy and ride like dumptruck tires compared to the BJP.

What rim were you using where they blew off? But yeah, 65 is a little silly-high for those tires. The amount of force that would exert on a bead is pretty high, but they shouldn't blow off.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
The Refuse are quite heavy and ride like dumptruck tires compared to the BJP.

What rim were you using where they blew off? But yeah, 65 is a little silly-high for those tires. The amount of force that would exert on a bead is pretty high, but they shouldn't blow off.
I think the bead was updated but the first version of BJP had an explicit pressure limit of 65 because of exactly what OP experienced. I think the issue was more that sometimes the pressure required to get the tire to seat fully exceeded 65 psi. I believe the limit is now 90.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:06 PM

My Strada LGGs in 700x32 measure 35mm wide on a WTB i19 rim and ride very nicely (I also have Compasses in 700x32 and they ride maybe only slightly less nicely)— so the tubeless Strada USH might meet your desire:
http://clementcycling.com/strada-ush
Old 04-03-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
I think the bead was updated but the first version of BJP had an explicit pressure limit of 65 because of exactly what OP experienced. I think the issue was more that sometimes the pressure required to get the tire to seat fully exceeded 65 psi. I believe the limit is now 90.
Yeah. I talked with Jan about running something like the Stampede Pass tubeless (which it isn't - unlike the CURRENT Bon Jon Pass), and he told me explicitly not to go over 65psi.

I've run/and seen plenty (15+ pair) of the current tubeless-ready BJP tubeless without any bead issues, fwiw. They're a bitch to seat, though.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKHG View Post
My Strada LGGs in 700x32 measure 35mm wide on a WTB i19 rim and ride very nicely (I also have Compasses in 700x32 and they ride maybe only slightly less nicely)— so the tubeless Strada USH might meet your desire:
http://clementcycling.com/strada-ush
I hate to be the guy in the thread that pisses on everything, but the Strada USH are bad. They roll like **** on pavement, cut easily, and don't hook up particularly well off-road.