Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 AM

new normal in 650b?

What is your preferred 650b tire right now?

For years the 650bx42 Hetre (and the successor Babyshoe Pass) was the benchmark 650b tire. Most 650b drop-bar bikes appeared with a slick skinwall 650x42. Now we see many brands, a variety of tread patterns and widths from 32mm to 2.1".

Is there a new 650b standard?

Instagram
Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Daniel

I'm starting to see the WTB Horizon as OEM on bikes from Marin, Masi and maybe others I can't remember.
My go to is still the Hetre cause they last longer than the BSP.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559Rando View Post
I'm starting to see the WTB Horizon as OEM on bikes from Marin, Masi and maybe others I can't remember.
We use them on our Karmic Koben S. I still like the speed and feel of the Panaracer 42c tires for my regular bikes. Been testing the WTB Byways for a few months now. I think WTB's Road Plus lineup will be the new standard.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Horizon is certainly leading for OEM 650b.

Quote:
My go to is still the Hetre cause they last longer than the BSP.
I've not worn to the threads on a Hetre, though I heard it can be done.

fwiw I recently replaced a set of Switchback Hills with TC Babyshoes. BSPs appear diminutive to my eye now, though they measure the same as always and are still plush. The sportier handling is refreshing.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 11-13-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:55 AM
ergottWheels

I started using 42m Panaracer Gravel King. It has a flat prevention belt, slick contact patch, tubeless, and relatively light weight. Gravel Kings have a pretty good track record so far.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM

Took 6500 miles to show the threads on my first Herte. I rotated in a Babyshoe Pass but it was narrower than advertised and once I saw the Hetres were discontinued I just went to Panaracer Gravel King Slicks. They seem to be just as good as the compass tires..er...maybe better since they're true to size, just a little cheaper.

There's too much dissembling and nonsense with the compass tires for me to bother with them anymore. Which is funny cause they're all made by the same company.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:26 PM

Still running Hetres simply because I have enough of them on hand to last quite awhile.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:20 PM

I’m diggin the WTB Byways. Smooth in the center like the Horizon but has some tread for dirt roads and such.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:27 AM

The Gravel King Slick and the Byway make a ton of sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
I started using 42m Panaracer Gravel King. It has a flat prevention belt, slick contact patch, tubeless, and relatively light weight. Gravel Kings have a pretty good track record so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
I’m diggin the WTB Byways. Smooth in the center like the Horizon but has some tread for dirt roads and such.

Instagram
Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 AM

For 650b, I have 5 years of experience using the Hetres and then the baby shoes for the past 2 seasons. They are very similar in my opinion. The 42s do well on pavement and gravel, and are acceptable for double track as long as it's not too rocky. Normal pressure range for me (latex tubes) is 30-35psi.

I've been using the 47mm switchback hills this year, and they have been excellent on moderately technical trails and double track, and also surprisingly good on pavement. Their gravel road performance has been a bit mixed. Pressure with latex tubes is usually 25psi.

Where the 47s really suffer IMO is on loose gravel surfaces. They float way too much in these conditions and can be down right scary on fast loose corners. They just don't dig in enough. I think having tread would help a bit, but for the vast majority of the conditions I face, a slick is best. In contrast, I haven't had these issues with the 650x42s in similar loose gravel - no issues with 700x35 either.

So for me, the 47s are an amazing all rounder, as I do like to hit fast double track on a lot of my rides. I feel a lot more confident to go 'no brakes' is fast rough sections. They also do well on pavement and packed dirt roads. For an "all day" tire, these are hard to beat.

The next 650b tire I'd like to try is the Terrene Elwood (light casing) 47mm tire. I don't have a lot of use for tread, but it could be fun when conditions are a little wet in the spring and fall. I'd also like to see if they do better in loose dry conditions compared to the compass 47s.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Daniel

Has anyone tried the new 48mm (please don't use "c" as a tire width for 650"B" ) Panaracers? They're doing Gravel Kings and Pari Motos in this size now.

I'd love to try a set on my Soma B-Side!
Old 11-14-2017, 01:26 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I've not worn to the threads on a Hetre, though I heard it can be done.
I've done it, on a tandem, going through four Clif bar wrapper boots on the limp back from a long ride . . .
Old 11-14-2017, 02:16 PM

Clif Bar booting

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
I've done it, on a tandem, going through four Clif bar wrapper boots on the limp back from a long ride . . .
Now I know I am not alone!
Used a rupee note in Pakistan--did not bring Clif bars