Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 01:26 AM

Token / Omni Racer bottom brackets

Anyone used them? My specific case is a Campagnolo Record 68x102mm ISO square taper. It appears that Omni Racer is a Token rebrand from a specific ebay seller with a warranty and apparently has a very good reputation for the warranty. Only source of Token bottom brackets I can find seems to be a relatively new Ebay seller. There's one on Wiggle but I'm not sure if it's the same or not.

Is going for one of these a bad idea? Alternatives seem to be going for used campy (about the same price as the "nice" token/omni ones) or a new origin8 (about the same price as the "normal" token/omni ones).
Old 11-13-2017, 07:36 AM

I used one once (also 68 x 102) and was unhappy. This was a few years ago and I could not get the shifting on the FD smooth, although it was a simple case of removing B.B. and cranks and re-installing. I’m not sure if its an issue with the tapers; the spindle length measured at 102.2 mm. Anyway I went with another Campy and everything was fine.

Also, after this, I tossed it in the parts closet and I recently, while sorting through stuff, came upon it and gave the spindle a spin and very rough feeling. This is from about 50-100 miles of use and sitting in a box for 3-4 years. Maybe not signifying anything but all my old partially used Campy ones still spin smooth after laying around.

YMMV etc, and I don’t like to badmouth a manufacturer, but that’s my experience. I’d recommend getting a Campy Chorus from Ribble or Wiggle for $40-50. You can get a Phil Wood and forget about it for 40 or 50k miles.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Administrator

i cant speak for the token one, but can for the Origin-8.

nice quality bottom bracket, with no issues noted. it's a cartridge bb, so uses sealed bearings that feel nice and smooth. i installed one on a steel frame and it went in with no problems. this was with a campy racing T crank converted to wide compact double.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 AM

I recently ordered a Token BB from Amazon Prime (thanks), and immediately returned it. Would it work? Probably, but the quality just looked and felt cheap. Decided to spend more for a Wheels Mfg., which are still not the best, but significantly better than the Token. Just my $0.02
Old 11-13-2017, 11:24 AM

I've used two Omni-Racer/Token bottom brackets. Both use stainless steel bearings, and not ceramic bearings.

The first is an Omni-Racer Ti spindle 108x68mm ISIS bottom bracket, which I've been using for about 2 or 3 years, and it has been holding up well, with no complaints.

The second is a Token Ti spindle 102x68mm ISO (Campy) square taper bottom bracket, which I've been using for about 2 months. So far, so good.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I’d recommend getting a Campy Chorus from Ribble or Wiggle for $40-50. You can get a Phil Wood and forget about it for 40 or 50k miles.

I haven't used a Token but I've been swapping several different 102mm ISO bottom brackets around and found that, while the spindles may all measure the same end-to-end, the effective length can vary enough to matter. The Phil Wood puts my cranks closer to the frame than a Campy, and others (Miché and World Class) are all over the map.

Sadly, BBs seem to be about as standardized as tires. Come to think, those are probably the two kinds of parts I've got the most of bangin' around in boxes under my work table... should take some of them to the Classifieds.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:35 AM

Hi Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I've used two Omni-Racer/Token bottom brackets. Both use stainless steel bearings, and not ceramic bearings.

The first is an Omni-Racer Ti spindle 108x68mm ISIS bottom bracket, which I've been using for about 2 or 3 years, and it has been holding up well, with no complaints.

The second is a Token Ti spindle 102x68mm ISO (Campy) square taper bottom bracket, which I've been using for about 2 months. So far, so good.
I'm thinking in getting either a Tange Seiki LN 7922 or a Token Ti Spindle for my Linskey Premier, an adventure bicycle. Since you have used the Omni (Token) I wonder if you have had any problems.
Thanks,
Marco.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoGuzman View Post
I'm thinking in getting either a Tange Seiki LN 7922 or a Token Ti Spindle for my Linskey Premier, an adventure bicycle. Since you have used the Omni (Token) I wonder if you have had any problems.
Thanks,
Marco.
Those BB's are still in use on my bikes. Since last reported, I've put another 3,000 miles or so on the OmniRacer Ti ISIS BB, and maybe another 800 miles on the Token Ti square taper BB, and they're both still going strong. (I should note that neither of the bikes they are in see much in the way of bad weather, which can really chew up bearings.)
Old 08-01-2020, 03:29 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have a TOKEN ninja BB and have to say, it has been EXCELLENT. I would buy another in a heart beat. They are not cheap but definitely cheaper than say the ROTOR one I had, it came with tools to install it and everything while the ROTOR I had to pay for that and it was more expensive to boot. Quality is about the same to me too.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:29 PM

I had a Token BB for a while, but years ago, ISIS variant, and it wasn't that impressive at all. While light, it seemed flimsy and in fact it seized very quickly.

Iirc there was debate regarding KCNC and Token, if they were made by the same people, and some other companies (Gigantex?) also, so it makes sense that Omni Racer is a re-brand. I dont know if KCNC and Token etc are in fact related, but fwiw KCNC seem to have a good reputation, was what I replaced the seized Token with, and the KCNC did stand up better.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:10 PM

Omni Ti Racer BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Those BB's are still in use on my bikes. Since last reported, I've put another 3,000 miles or so on the OmniRacer Ti ISIS BB, and maybe another 800 miles on the Token Ti square taper BB, and they're both still going strong. (I should note that neither of the bikes they are in see much in the way of bad weather, which can really chew up bearings.)
Thanks, for your input. I try to avoid rainy weather, but sometimes there is no way to avoid a storm; though, I seldom ride in the rain, with this bicycle. There is also the issue of the raider's weight limit, but I can clear that. And also: the power of the raider, that may affect a bottom bracket with a Ti spindle.
It's good to read more opinions about it.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voir dire View Post
I had a Token BB for a while, but years ago, ISIS variant, and it wasn't that impressive at all. While light, it seemed flimsy and in fact it seized very quickly.

Iirc there was debate regarding KCNC and Token, if they were made by the same people, and some other companies (Gigantex?) also, so it makes sense that Omni Racer is a re-brand. I dont know if KCNC and Token etc are in fact related, but fwiw KCNC seem to have a good reputation, was what I replaced the seized Token with, and the KCNC did stand up better.
Were there any ISIS BBs that were impressive?
Old 08-01-2020, 05:31 PM

KCNC International

Quote:
Originally Posted by voir dire View Post

I just found the KCNC International web page; they have Ti bottoms brackets, Isis drive, but I need a square taper drive. They have many interesting bike products.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:54 PM

Token is fine. I have one (111 ISO) with a steel axle in a bike been going strong for many years. Replaced a 111 Centaur...weighs about the same. Believe it cost around $35.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-01-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Were there any ISIS BBs that were impressive?
I don't know about impressive good, but certainly better in my opinion than the Token were: KCNC, the top FSA, RaceFace, TruVativ, and SKF, maybe the best of the bunch. I agree that ISIS was not the greatest system, but reiterate the Token felt flimsy and failed.

That said Token may have improved their current line-up, I do not know, maybe they are great now. My experience is only one, all some years ago, but other people also reported problems.

cribbit states comparing a Campagnolo ISO square taper bb to a Token ISO square taper bb. I don't know about the current Token square taper, but in any case if I was looking for square taper Campagnolo spline bb the list would probably only be Campagnolo and Phil Wood, and maybe SKF if the spindle was right, because of the many spindle lengths and proven quality guaranteed long-term durability versus initial cost, even though the cost difference is significant. Just my $0.02.