Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 09:03 PM

Running layers

I know there are a few runners here as well so tossing this out. I'm running my 1st marathon Saturday. So far it's been a warm fall for training, so I haven't really had runs in temps below 50's until this week when it's been wet and mid 40s. This week I've been fine with shorts and base layer plus short sleeve shirt and arm warmers.
This Saturday the start temp is about 25* and will to out around 45 by the time I'm finished (I is a slow runner). I know the mantra is don't do anything new on race day... I tried some shorts earlier this year that had compression shorts built in and they chafed me good so don't want that possibility with different run gear for the marathon.

I have been to goodwill for a throwaway jacket, and will have gloves/hat too. I figure I'll wear some calf sleeves and my shorts since my legs will be moving the whole time as long as my core is comfortable I should be fine. Although each time i look at the weather forcast hoping its changed, I'm starting to second guess myself on whether to wear tights or not.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:22 PM

Sounds like you’re working with layers, just make sure the one next to your skin can be kept relatively dry and you should be able to stay warm enough.
I like over the calf socks this time of year and save tights for the winter temps. Even though you’re starting cold, it sounds like it will warm up. Have fun!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:25 PM

Start warm. Go out SLOW - like slower than you think you can. The first 10K will cost you more than it'll earn you. Peel as you warm up. And you sound like you're good to go!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 PM

You got the right idea with not changing anything up and going with the proven shorts etc. Definitely the throw away jacket. Some even use a large trash bag (not just for rainy situations) as it retains heat and helps you work up a sweat. Arm warmers that you can roll down or peel off are great. Here you can use long tube socks with the toe cutout or similar and just toss them along the way when needed. Cheap throw away glove liners or even canvas gardening gloves work well. The calf compression sleeves or longer compression socks will help with warmth but also support the muscles in the later miles. Dusty has it right on the next to skin. Something wicking (i.e. Not cotton) and not baggy that will cause chaffing. Vaseline for your nips. Even if it's cool to cold hydrate at the stations. Small amounts of water in the beginning and then electrolyte drink or whatever they are offering once your stomach is warned up. Make sure you know what it is ahead of time and you can handle it to avoid GI issues. Have a plan for nutrition whether on course offering or if you are carrying gels etc.

As said go out slow. It will seem slow but it's not. Everyone gives in to the adrenaline and it makes for a long day. Use your watch and keep to YOUR pace. Let the rabbits run. It's just another long training run with more friends. Soak it up. Mentally break the race down into pieces. 8 5k's or 4 10k's etc. Don't think oh I got 23 more miles, but ok one 5k down.

Sorry for the long answer plus.... Good luck, have fun and know you are prepared from the training.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I know there are a few runners here as well so tossing this out. I'm running my 1st marathon Saturday. So far it's been a warm fall for training, so I haven't really had runs in temps below 50's until this week when it's been wet and mid 40s. This week I've been fine with shorts and base layer plus short sleeve shirt and arm warmers.
This Saturday the start temp is about 25* and will to out around 45 by the time I'm finished (I is a slow runner). I know the mantra is don't do anything new on race day... I tried some shorts earlier this year that had compression shorts built in and they chafed me good so don't want that possibility with different run gear for the marathon.

I have been to goodwill for a throwaway jacket, and will have gloves/hat too. I figure I'll wear some calf sleeves and my shorts since my legs will be moving the whole time as long as my core is comfortable I should be fine. Although each time i look at the weather forcast hoping its changed, I'm starting to second guess myself on whether to wear tights or not.
Ran 7 marathons, some cold start. Yup, have throw away layers..BUT the 2 most important things I had was a hat and cotton gloves, those thin things.

"cold?, put on a hat"..I'd say finish with a long sleeve shirt, shorts, hat and maybe gloves. PLUS hopefully a way to get dressed when you finished...you will 'feel' warm but will chill quickly.

As for running pace..I broke it down into 3 sections. First 10k(6 miles), shuffle along, get warmed up. Run the same pace your train on long runs or slower. This is really, really hard cuz you are amped!!

Next 14 miles, you 'race'..get comfy, find somebody to run with...make your time here...and the last 6 miles, you are just hanging on to finish..

I averaged 7.5 MPH, or 8 minute miles...started at about 9 minute miles, then tried about 7 minute miles, finished about 8 minute miles..good luck, I really enjoyed the whole experience, until I injured myself and hello BIKES!

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-10-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Ran 7 marathons, some cold start. Yup, have throw away layers..BUT the 2 most important things I had was a hat and cotton gloves, those thin things.

"cold?, put on a hat"..I'd say finish with a long sleeve shirt, shorts, hat and maybe gloves. PLUS hopefully a way to get dressed when you finished...you will 'feel' warm but will chill quickly.

As for running pace..I broke it down into 3 sections. First 10k(6 miles), shuffle along, get warmed up. Run the same pace your train on long runs or slower. This is really, really hard cuz you are amped!!

Next 14 miles, you 'race'..get comfy, find somebody to run with...make your time here...and the last 6 miles, you are just hanging on to finish..

I averaged 7.5 MPH, or 8 minute miles...started at about 9 minute miles, then tried about 7 minute miles, finished about 8 minute miles..good luck, I really enjoyed the whole experience, until I injured myself and hello BIKES!

Carb-loading the OldPotato's advice would do everyone well
Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

AND the amount of clothes thrown away in the first few miles on a cool start marathon is AMAZING!! Tons of it. If you are cold, pick something up and put it on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boston rules-4.jpg (86.2 KB, 110 views)
Old 11-10-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
AND the amount of clothes thrown away in the first few miles on a cool start marathon is AMAZING!! Tons of it. If you are cold, pick something up and put it on!
The good thing, I've been told, is that they collect all the discarded items and donate them to homeless shelters around the area. I'll keep my eye out for any rapha stuff I can pick up and post in the classifieds.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

It's today!! Good luck, which marathon was it? Richmond, I'm guessing..
Old 11-12-2017, 08:37 PM

Yes was Richmond marathon. I finished, just not quite when I expected. Had an attempted mutiny from my digestive system from mile 16 thru 23, but finished strong from 23 to the end. It was cold too, I never really warmed up enough to ditch the jacket which I was glad for when I had to walk/jog. Oh well, I finished, I learned from the experience and will adjust for any future races.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Yes was Richmond marathon. I finished, just not quite when I expected. Had an attempted mutiny from my digestive system from mile 16 thru 23, but finished strong from 23 to the end. It was cold too, I never really warmed up enough to ditch the jacket which I was glad for when I had to walk/jog. Oh well, I finished, I learned from the experience and will adjust for any future races.
Excellent..my first felt like a death march at the end, plus the finish was on a highway, straight and wide..and that's always tough...seeing where you are going..WAY up there. 1979 Marine Corps Marathon..

BUT congratulations....Marathons are 'kinda' addictive..you'll remember the sense of accomplishment and forget(sorta) the pain of it all. If you'd like to do another, I'd look for a smaller one..like in the 600-1000 type. My very best was Maine Coast Marathon(1984)..small, flat, cool..along the coast in kennebunkport, MA...BUT the giganto ones..Marine Corps, NYC...along with 35,000-45,000 of your closest friends..took about 8 minutes to get to the START line..