Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquer View Post
Many factors were at work inflating costs for the Brooklyn project, and two which could account for lower costs for Detroit:
  • "1/10th mile" track converts to 158 meters, so probably 167 meters (1/6th kilometer). Wasn't that the size of the portable track making the rounds a few years ago?
  • Inflatable structure, fairly common for sports facilities, is cheaper than a rigid structure, and sometimes working in an existing structure is even more expensive.
These may not make enough difference to reach the $4MM figure, but the Brooklyn project is a poor basis of comparison.
Yeah, it sounds like the Detroit one is going to be tiny, like Cleveland and the CVC.

I've talked to some people who have specced out projects and they talk about costs that rise exponentially (not linearly) as you try to increase the size of an indoor velodrome. Mostly this has to do with having a building without beams in the infield - a track can't be homolugated if officials don't have a 360deg line of sight, and supporting a roof over a 250m track is far, far more expensive than supporting one over a 200 or a 166.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
What surprises me is that you can build a track of that caliber for as little as $4 million.

That isn't exactly peanuts, but it's much more within reach than I thought such a project would be. Very encouraging.
The velodrome recently built in Milton ON for the Pan Am's cost over $50 million.
A much cheaper version was previously done in London ON, but the building was an old OHL hockey rink.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceolwulf View Post
Wish we could get one in Winnipeg again. But if they did they'd probably cheap out like they did the first time and make it an outdoor track again, which would once again not get enough use to pay for itself (because Winterpeg), then not get funding again, then not get maintained again, and eventually get torn down again in a chorus of I-told-you-so's.

I really think an *indoor* velodrome could do extremely well in Manitoba. The riding outside is not great anyway, and then if you could ride year round, I could see this bringing a lot of new people into the sport.
Exactly the story for the original China Creek track in Vancouver, built for the British Empire Games in 1954. Fabulous track, 250m/45 deg bankings, beautiful edge laid western yellow cedar.

No roof and a wooden track--***? Anyone forget how often it rains in Vancouver?

Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

At least they were forced to build a replacement after they illegally tore it down...

Last edited by paredown; 01-25-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:33 PM

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...e#.WgeyWtQrK9I

"The Detroit Fitness Foundation has announced that Lexus has paid for naming rights at its indoor multi-sport complex, which includes a 166-meter velodrome. The complex is officially named the Lexus Velodrome and is set to open to the public in January."
Old 01-24-2018, 11:53 AM
Small ring

Open soon!

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/i...incart_m-rpt-2
Old 01-24-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Plywood=Disappointment.

Looks ok.

166 meter...... MEH MEH MEH

Last edited by ftf; 01-24-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:33 PM

They needed to cut costs with a project that who knows if it will work. Is tad longer than the one in London, Canada (138 meters, 50/10 degrees banks). Which probably is the one they took as example.

Canadians in that area gather together and pretty much did it by themselves, the nice about plywood is that is easier to repair, slow? well... not that much IMO but is noisy tho. Canadians put theirs in a hockey field building, I imagine the detriot one rides similar to the canadian one since are quite similar.

At least detroit has a velodrome, here we have jack!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:45 PM

x

Last edited by wallymann; 01-24-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:24 PM