Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2017, 01:42 PM

Elite Qubo Smart trainer experience

Anyone using one of the Elite Qubo digital smart trainers? For $350 +/- it seems like a relatively easy $ entry into digitally controlled resistance (albeit not as much resistance as more expensive units) for riding with zwift, etc. My intent is to try a smart trainer this winter with minimal fuss, if possible, to break up the monotony.
Has anyone tried one of these? Good, bad, indifferent?

Last edited by cmbicycles; 10-29-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:21 AM

No personal experience, but there does seem to be an outsized number of reports of power inconsistency and inaccuracy on Zwift forums and others.

Until they released the Drivo/Direto, all the Elite units seemed to have lots of problems, but by all accounts the new ones are solid.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:42 PM

I just got one from Nashbar this week. It was $100 less than the Tacx Vortex / Flow(?). Note there are different Qubos 1) Digital SMart B+ , magnetic computer controller resistance 2) Power smart, non-controllable resistance fluid. One is quieter, but doesn't have variable resistance - it just feeds Zwift power and cadence. The other has interactive resistance - feeding power and cadence, receiving resistance changes.
The speed reading is off on my unit without any way to fix it. My Wahoo Bolt unit and 4iiii HRM report about 10x speed. The speed measurement isn't that important, as Zwift calcs internally.
The unit can determine cadence supposedly, but that isn't important.
If you don't have a power meter you want a power reading from the trainer. I haven't calibrated mine because I haven't found 10 minutes to warm up the unit, as the app requires.
I have played with the resistance, and it does work with my Wahoo GPS unit, so that is quite nice. I haven't tried Zwift or sprints.
The unit likes ANT+ over BLE, so you'll need an ANT+ USB key.
Elite support is as messy as their model line.
It does not come with a block, ANT+ key, or mat, does inclue international power prongs.

If I get my speed issue figured out, should be a fine recommendation for a trainer.

Last edited by jfranci3; 10-30-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:53 AM

Ok tried a ride today and tried to calibrate. Variable resistance with Zwift worked great. ANT+ dongle needed to be behind front skewer to maintain connection. The resistance on my unit is off, so it was just plain abusive. I tried calibrating but it was set so aggressive that I couldn't complete calibration. The resistance felt pretty 'grainy' with some load. They big put off for me is the l/r sway it allows with the provided skewer; it was only a bit, but more than I liked.

I recommend trying it first, ordering from someone with a return policy, or paying more for the Tacx
Old 10-31-2017, 07:48 AM

The Tacx will also sway if you use the supplied skewer. I use a different one, and with the locknut properly tightened, doesn't sway much at all.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:58 AM

Looks like you need to set the trainer wheel circumference, but can't do it on a Wahoo unit. Great. Not sure why they can't just know the roller circumference or set that with the app.