Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2017, 05:02 PM

Bike Storage: smallest volume possible

It's getting cold here in Colorado, so I'm losing my half of the 2 car garage to the second car.

Any ideas for getting 6 bikes (bonus points if you can fit 2 additional toddler bikes) up off the floor and as out of the way as possible? I've used both wall and ceiling hooks in the past, but that area was a little bigger. I do have a decent amount of vertical space to play with in this garage.

The current winner is something like the VeloGrip, which I would DIY instead of paying $300 for. I like that you can hang, then rotate to a diagonal position.

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:09 PM
bykhed

Something like this may work:

https://dahanger.co/products/dahanger-dan
Old 10-27-2017, 06:18 PM

If you have wall space and rotating is important look at these (and get 20% off first purchase at Campmor).

I was able to pack my bikes closer together without rotation (I had the depth to accommodate) and used these hanging the bikes alternating front wheel, back wheel.

Last edited by donevwil; 10-27-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
If you have wall space and rotating is important look at these (and get 20% off first purchase).
The link goes to an ebay auction for a frame...the rusty one.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
The link goes to an ebay auction for a frame...the rusty one.
Fixed, thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:17 PM

I used this method to safely "cram" the most bikes at the lowest cost after creating suitable hooks from scratch, using 3/16" steel rod bent using lowest-cost home-built tool.
They take up almost half the width of this narrow room though, as defined by ~40" saddle height. They are fairly easy to remove and replace from the hooks.
Note this room's ceiling is at only 6'5" height, and that 22 road bikes are along a 17' wall.
I had the bikes, and made the space. It seemed like the way to go.
The hooks hang from 3/4" black iron pipe that snaps firmly into strong threaded hooks from the hardware store.

Last edited by dddd; 10-28-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:55 PM
ZhugeLiang

ddd+d pal, where were you when tex pal needed your advice?
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=204537
Old 10-28-2017, 08:44 PM

LOL, if I had to add my contraptions to all of the bike storage threads out there I would be self-employed for a month.
And I know that I have posted about this on Paceline in the not-too-distant past, in another thread.

I was targeting "lowest cost" and fairly high quantity, and had previously come up with this free-standing setup in a former residence where I didn't want to have to drill any holes in the walls or ceiling. This was a stress test I conducted using both mine and a neighbor's heaviest bikes, and it passed, though I did later come up with a couple of key safety revisions after looking things over. Not shown, but I crossed each "A" with rope cord and also wound cord tightly around the board's crossing point, to prevent splitting of the wood or the legs splitting apart on any possibly-slippery surface, and also added clamps on the rod adjacent to each side of each A-frame, though here it is supported by two walls. It needs lateral support by some means as well:

Last edited by dddd; 10-28-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
LOL, if I had to add my contraptions to all of the bike storage threads out there I would be self-employed for a month.
And I know that I have posted about this on Paceline in the not-too-distant past, in another thread.

I was targeting "lowest cost" and fairly high quantity, and had previously come up with this free-standing setup in a former residence where I didn't want to have to drill any holes in the walls or ceiling. This was a stress test I conducted using both mine and a neighbor's heaviest bikes, and it passed, though I did later come up with a couple of key safety revisions after looking things over. Not shown, but I crossed each "A" with rope cord and also wound cord tightly around the board's crossing point, to prevent splitting of the wood or the legs splitting apart on any possibly-slippery surface, and also added clamps on the rod adjacent to each side of each A-frame, though here it is supported by two walls. It needs lateral support by some means as well:

Of course a normal carpenter would have run a board at the foot and across the midpoint to tie them both together... but to each their own.

I like that unistrut idea from the other thread. Might steal that for my garage.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:31 AM

I got one of these:

https://www.saris.com/product/cycleglidestorage-system

I got it through my LBS, and they gave me a bit of a deal. It works really well, and is easy to load, unload, and push all the bikes to the edge tight if you load them front then back then front etc. Not the cheapest, but pretty slick imho, after a years use. Way better than the previous more or less homemade efforts. Bikes are up and out of the way, you can take advantage of the space over the hood of that second car.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your ideas. 4-d, that is high bike density.

I also think the cycleglide in is pretty sweet, unfortunately my garage has no level ceiling space, so I'd have to construct a truss or bracket for it. .

I ended up building the DIY Velogrip over the weekend. I don't have a picture of mine, but it looks like this:

Mine is 8 ft long, was able to fit 6 adult bikes, 2 kids bikes, 4 wheelsets and a little closet shelf hanger box thingy for helmets, gloves and shoes. The bikes can rotate while hanging, so they are only about 24" out from the wall. About $65 all in, plus 90 minutes of time.

One downside, the top shelf height requires a step ladder for me to really use it, even at 6 ft tall with monkey arms. The culprit here is that I had to get the rod high enough to fit a size L 29+ bike with a huge wheelbase underneath.

Tags
bike storage