Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 07:52 PM

Newb wheelset/hub question

Just bought a bike off facebook marketplace. Independent Fabrication Ti Crown Jewel. I'm pretty excited about it, although it seems to be a bit bigger than I thought it would be, so we'll see how it works after a few rides.

The bike has come with DT 190 hubs (ceramic bearings) laced to Velocity A23 rims. I had originally thought about replacing the wheels with maybe: Hunt Aero Race Wide, Ardennes/Belgium +, Pacenti SL25 or something like these in the new-school style, wider profile etc. The ceramic bearings have me curious though. Does anyone have any info on these or opinions on if this makes a good wheelset? I can't seem to find much info them, other than the hubs used to be pretty pricey. They don't seem to be any lighter than the Pacenti SL23s I have on my other bike and the free hub is much noisier.

I haven't been able to take the bike/wheels for a ride yet as it just arrived this afternoon and it was raining, so i'll take them for a few rides before pulling any triggers, just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on them. If I do decide to switch, what do you think a wheelset like this would go for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 8.50.43 PM.jpg (106.3 KB, 271 views)
Old 08-12-2020, 09:02 PM

If they are in good shape those are a solid set of wheels.

Cool bike
Old 08-12-2020, 09:05 PM
ZhugeLiang

This bike is built to ride...away.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:37 PM

I have a set of these hubs laced to Belgiums and they are fantastic! Put some nice tires on and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2020, 09:47 PM

I have this exact wheelset on my Kirk. 24/28h A23 to 190 ceramic and they’re fantastic wheels.

I’d say the hunt are a downgrade
Old 08-12-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I have this exact wheelset on my Kirk. 24/28h A23 to 190 ceramic and they’re fantastic wheels.

I’d say the hunt are a downgrade
Agreed. These hubs are solid and the A23 are hardly a narrow rim if that is your concern.

If you're dying to upgrade I'd find a DA9K crank to match the rest of your drivetrain.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:57 PM

those are extremely nice wheels. i will buy them if you want to get rid of em. unless you are ready to spend over $1500 you wont find anything nicer. no other aluminum clincher wheelset will give you any gains. i think the cables look short, could start there.

pull off the freehub and grease the ratchets they will quiet down a (little) bit

Last edited by cinema; 08-12-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
The bike has come with DT 190 hubs (ceramic bearings) laced to Velocity A23 rims. I had originally thought about replacing the wheels with maybe: Hunt Aero Race Wide, Ardennes/Belgium +, Pacenti SL25 or something like these in the new-school style, wider profile etc. The ceramic bearings have me curious though. Does anyone have any info on these or opinions on if this makes a good wheelset? I can't seem to find much info them, other than the hubs used to be pretty pricey. They don't seem to be any lighter than the Pacenti SL23s I have on my other bike and the free hub is much noisier.
First great hubs laced to great rims(OffCenter drilled rear?) and they can support a fatter tire. Remember, with caliper brakes, a mucho wide rim may not work..

BUT GREAT wheelset, looks like 24/28 and those mentioned 'might' weight the same or a wee bit less but a few grams means nuthin. BUT it's a handbuilt, designed by somebody who buys hubs, spokes and rims..and then builds..not a 'factory' wheelset.

I'd keep them.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:20 AM
Administrator

As the others mentioned, those are already great wheels and you should stick with them. your other proposed wheels would not be a move up the ladder.

That bike though: wow, it is very much aesthetically pleasing. it looks really great. i love the color and everything, very nice score!
Old 08-13-2020, 06:41 AM

With the white accents, it almost looks like the seller took a raw Ti S&S back end and mated it to a red S&S front end to make a complete bike.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone! Sounds like the wheels are absolutely worth keeping. And a step up would be made of carbon and say Zipp or Enve on the side.

Thanks also for pointing out the crank is not Dura Ace 9000. I was already looking at replacing either the whole set or just the chain rings because it's currently 53/39 and 50/34 is much more my speed. I kept looking at the DA9k and wondering if there were two color options since it looked black and mine looked grey, failing to realize that one has 4 arms and the other 5 arms.

The bike is nicer than I need, but for $2k it was a deal I couldn't pass up.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
replacing either the whole set or just the chain rings because it's currently 53/39 and 50/34 is much more my speed.
unfortunately that crank will have a 130 BCD spacing, and can not support compact chainrings, so you would need a different crankset to go to 50/34.

the newer 4-arm style shimano cranks like the R8000 and DA9100 etc can support either standard or compact rings on the same BCD, FYI.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:

The bike is nicer than I need, but for $2k it was a deal I couldn't pass up.
$2K and you are in DC?

Translation: Very nice deal and I would be tempted to buy it and flip mine. That looks like a 54 And I agree with Angry, very pretty in an understated way. I just noticed the different colors in the headset, match nicely for the fork and steer tube.

I see a box, so it is not in the local FB marketplace?

Last edited by tuxbailey; 08-13-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
$2K and you are in DC?

Translation: Very nice deal and I would be tempted to buy it and flip mine. That looks like a 54 And I agree with Angry, very pretty in an understated way. I just noticed the different colors in the headset, match nicely for the fork and steer tube.

I see a box, so it is not in the local FB marketplace?
Yes I'm in DC. Bike was in northern PA. Shipped it.
Bike is 56cm TT 55cm ST. I agree bike is beautiful and was a deal, didn't hesitate on pulling the trigger. It may have to be flipped as there is not a lot of standover room for me, but we'll see what I can live with. Probably would be perfect for someone an inch longer in the leg than me.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
unfortunately that crank will have a 130 BCD spacing, and can not support compact chainrings, so you would need a different crankset to go to 50/34.

the newer 4-arm style shimano cranks like the R8000 and DA9100 etc can support either standard or compact rings on the same BCD, FYI.
Very helpful to know! Thank you. I knew I came to the right place.