Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2020, 06:27 PM

Nothing better in that category IMO just buy a new pair.

Maybe a Ruffy Tuffy.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:39 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Hutchinson Override Tubeless if you can live without the tanwall. When you pump them up the edge require quit the lean to engage. But if you wander off for prolonged non pave, lower the pressure as low as you want pretty much, and the edges get to work on softer surfaces. Best in class for best of both surfaces for me.

For all pavement, I run Jack Browns 33s, Soma Supple Vitesse 38s with latex tubes. Plan to try the GK Slicks at some point based on the raves.

FWIW, I choose the EX on the Somas, figured they'd be like the SL casing option soon enough with wear, almost.

And if you want some real glide, the 40mm Maxxis Re-fuse I liked for when I was not trying to spin them fast for long rides. Lottsa holes, all sealed in winter shoulders use. They are big fat, and a bit porky for my 2 cents.

Gators came off fast for me, flat more than All Seasons and the feel of any hard case tire to me, not an ingredient for enthusiastic desire to ride, life to short.

Last edited by robt57; 08-11-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Nothing better in that category IMO just buy a new pair.

Maybe a Ruffy Tuffy.
You mean another pair of CGH? I would, but I want more volume, and they top out at 32, and that's a nominal 32. They inflate to 30.5. Letter to Continental.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
If you are looking for a similar ride quality to a Gatorskin Hardshell I would recommend a wooden wagon wheel with a steel belt.
Yes, they're a compromise. I've had only two punctures in the last three years though. One was a two inch nail (nothing stops those), and a piece of glass shaped like a shark's tooth.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward12 View Post
This may seem a little odd, but I’ve had really good experiences with the Rivendell Jack Brown’s (blue label), I’m a pretty big guy and they roll great on any surface (including gravel). They feel relatively supple, too. No punctures as of yet (after several hundred miles). If you can get past the gimmicky checkerboard tread patter, these might be a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.rivbike.com/products/jac...ugh-10092-blue

Are they true to nominal sizing in your experience? 33.333 is a great number, but if came out at 33.332 it wouldn't be big enough fr my needs. I'm ideally looking for something a tad bigger for extra volume and lower pressure riding. The tread pattern 'looks' nice, but I'm not sure it would provide me with the grip I need for the variable terrain I'm rolling over.

Panaracer seems to be everywhere.

Last edited by jpw; 08-12-2020 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Hutchinson Override Tubeless if you can live without the tanwall. When you pump them up the edge require quit the lean to engage. But if you wander off for prolonged non pave, lower the pressure as low as you want pretty much, and the edges get to work on softer surfaces. Best in class for best of both surfaces for me.

For all pavement, I run Jack Browns 33s, Soma Supple Vitesse 38s with latex tubes. Plan to try the GK Slicks at some point based on the raves.

FWIW, I choose the EX on the Somas, figured they'd be like the SL casing option soon enough with wear, almost.

And if you want some real glide, the 40mm Maxxis Re-fuse I liked for when I was not trying to spin them fast for long rides. Lottsa holes, all sealed in winter shoulders use. They are big fat, and a bit porky for my 2 cents.

Gators came off fast for me, flat more than All Seasons and the feel of any hard case tire to me, not an ingredient for enthusiastic desire to ride, life to short.
Gators are an acquired taste. I have none LOL.

https://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/g...-bike-standard

In the bead selection section what is 'FB' and 'WB'? F, W? Does the tread tend to capture 'peas'?

40mm would be too big for my clearance.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:08 AM
Forward the Foundation

Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR, tubeless but is rated higher than Gator Hard Shell,
20 points vs. 18 points.

per Bicycle Rolling Resistance
Old 08-12-2020, 07:38 AM

Schwalbe Marathon Plus's ride like a brick, but the Marathon Supremes are quite nice. They have more flat protection than something like compass due to a puncture protection layer, but are still very light with supple sidewalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
I've used Marathons. Very good protection, but a bit heavy. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
You mean another pair of CGH? I would, but I want more volume, and they top out at 32, and that's a nominal 32. They inflate to 30.5. Letter to Continental.
Ah nevermind I'm sorry. I did not read close enough...

Gravel King in that case.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Ah nevermind I'm sorry. I did not read close enough...

Gravel King in that case.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
If you are looking for a similar ride quality to a Gatorskin Hardshell I would recommend a wooden wagon wheel with a steel belt.
Ha! I tried those things and they made my life miserable - Talk about horrible!
Old 08-12-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot870 View Post
Ha! I tried those things and they made my life miserable - Talk about horrible!
They're not that bad
Old 08-12-2020, 10:31 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
https://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/g...-bike-standard

In the bead selection section what is 'FB' and 'WB'? F, W? Does the tread tend to capture 'peas'?
Folding and Wire I'd assume. Not had them hold any stone, chips etc. I have run them more as extreme winter tire at higher pressures. And a few times let lots of air out for some woods play. I am happy with them.

I am running the 35mm tubeless hardskin.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
They're not that bad
Dude for real........Gator's are a little rough, but man I'll take a little rougher ride over higher susceptibility to punctures any day
Old 08-12-2020, 12:11 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Wagon wheel? Maybe @ 120 PSI, I know folks that still think that is preferred, power to them.

I do get a kick of how extreme analogies get so out there though.

Frankly even with latex tubes I don't find the GranPrix4/5 are the nicest riding either. All seasons next, then gators then hard shin gators. Now my Vit paves with latex ride notably 'nice', but cut easily and last terrible, as in don't last.

I've ridden test rides on 23mm specialized Armadillo once, ONCE! Eeks. Felt like solid and not pneumatic to me. And some Schwalbes [forget the ones] I've heard feel wonderfully solid too... so I've read/heard.