Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 12:12 PM

SRAM AXS price reduction

I notice that SRAM has reduced the list price for their AXS road equipment. Some USA sellers have dropped prices on the 3-piece group by over $400. Most or perhaps all Euro sellers won't sell to USA buyers.

I need a project to work on, so I though about trying the 3 piece Force group, but using my Campy 48/32 crank, as a test bike. I already have a SRAM 10-36 cassette on one bike.

The shift levers are so much different, I'm thinking that it may be tough for a 25 year Campy user to make the switch.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:17 PM

you can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I notice that SRAM has reduced the list price for their AXS road equipment. Some USA sellers have dropped prices on the 3-piece group by over $400. Most or perhaps all Euro sellers won't sell to USA buyers.

I need a project to work on, so I though about trying the 3 piece Force group, but using my Campy 48/32 crank, as a test bike. I already have a SRAM 10-36 cassette on one bike.

The shift levers are so much different, I'm thinking that it may be tough for a 25 year Campy user to make the switch.
You can do it! I have been riding Campy forever and a few years ago built up a bike with Sram etap. I have to admit that when I go back and forth with my Campy bikes, it takes like a shift or two to adjust, but that's it.

Further, with AXS 12,I believe you can changing the shifting patterns. So with etap/AXS, the if you want easier gears, you shift the left lever. With campy you shift the right inner lever. But with AXS, you can change the lever direction so that if you want to go to an easier gear, make it the right lever. Then shift the left lever for harder gear!

Too bad Sram abandoned etap 11 as that's a nice feature. Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2020, 12:24 PM

It's really a simple switch. Not much retraining that needs to happen.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:

I switch freely between Campy and SRAM eTap with no issues. You'll be fine. BUT... What is this 48/32 crankset? Chorus makes one?
Old 08-04-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I switch freely between Campy and SRAM eTap with no issues. You'll be fine. BUT... What is this 48/32 crankset? Chorus makes one?
Campy came out with a 48/32 chorus crank last July, when I bought two chorus groups, for less than the price of one Force AXS group.

SRAM is apparently not confident that their FD will shift a 16T difference, but some people are doing it with other cranks. They're giving up range with the 13T limit.

I already use the AXS chain with no problem.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Campy came out with a 48/32 chorus crank last July, when I bought two chorus groups, for less than the price of one Force AXS group.

SRAM is apparently not confident that their FD will shift a 16T difference, but some people are doing it with other cranks. They're giving up range with the 13T limit.

I already use the AXS chain with no problem.
That's great! Are you using the AXS chain on a Campy cassette too, or SRAM? The system I'd like to put together is a 48/32 front, Campy shifters, derailleurs, front and rear, and an AXS 10-33 cassette. A 48-10 is slightly taller than a 50-11, which is all I need. If you're running an AXS chain with Campy derailleurs and crankset, you're proving to me that my mongrel system has merit.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
That's great! Are you using the AXS chain on a Campy cassette too, or SRAM? The system I'd like to put together is a 48/32 front, Campy shifters, derailleurs, front and rear, and an AXS 10-33 cassette. A 48-10 is slightly taller than a 50-11, which is all I need. If you're running an AXS chain with Campy derailleurs and crankset, you're proving to me that my mongrel system has merit.
Yes, the AXS chain works with the Campy crank or cassette. The 48/10 is the same as a 53/11, so you get the traditional top gear.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, the AXS chain works with the Campy crank or cassette. The 48/10 is the same as a 53/11, so you get the traditional top gear.
I'm derailing your post, sorry, but do you suppose a 12s Eagle chain would work better with a Campy 12s cassette than an AXS 12s chain? I've read the AXS 12s flat top chain is an unusual critter.

On another road bike, I'm running 46T single ring in the front, and a 10-45 Shimano 12s cassette in the back with Eagle 12s chain, AXS Eagle derailleur and AXS shifters. The 12s 10-45 is a very usable range for road or gravel and the jumps are good.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:25 PM

The Campy 12 chain may be a bit narrower than the eagle and it works with an eagle 12 quick link. The wider eagle won't have quite as much side clearance.

The only difference with the AXS chain is it's narrower than any other 12 speed chain and has rollers that are .006 inch larger in diameter. I've ridden about 2000 miles with it on a Campy 12 cassette and crank and always had great shifting. I still find the AXS to be the quietest chain.

Others have reported no problem with a Campy 12 chain and AXS cassette.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:50 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Do not fear the change.....

I switch between ETap, EPS, Di2, & mechanical Shimano & campy very often. You’ll screw up a shift once or twice on a ride then your brain starts working.....
Old 08-04-2020, 06:34 PM

My build in the works is AXS shift group, 11-29 Campy 12sp cassette and chain, and 50/34 Easton crank and rings
Old 08-04-2020, 08:17 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Wolf tooth now lists axs flat chain compatible chainrings for Shimano and other 130 and 110 BCD rings so that makes conversion easier.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
My build in the works is AXS shift group, 11-29 Campy 12sp cassette and chain, and 50/34 Easton crank and rings
I was considering the same setup: converting my 1x EC90 crankset to 2x with Easton chainrings and running the Force AXS groupset.

Were you able to confirm with Easton that their chainrings works with a 12 speed chain? I can't seem to find information on this anywhere.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:55 PM

I've done a lot more looking for the force 3 piece build kits and found one source that was $600 off the usual $1650 price. By the time you add a crank, cassette, chain and brakes, an electronic group is still about twice the price of chorus12, so you have to decide if it's worth it.

I've been bitten by the electronic bug, so I now have two Sramanolo groups. One has the 10-36 SRAM cassette and the other will have a Campy 11-34, for awhile. I'm hoping that Campy will make a 10-36 cassette with better sprocket spacing than the SRAM.

The force front derailleur has been shifting my 48/32 chorus 12 crank just fine.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:04 PM
ZhugeLiang

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...hoCNSAQAvD_BwE