Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 06:56 PM

Remember to open the drain valve in the tank after you finish using the compressor, as water will collect in the tank over time and corrode it.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
I just picked this up for myself a month ago. Been wanting to get one for years. Finally pulled the trigger. Pretty happy with it. Super quiet (around 80db) and the 2.6 gallon tank fills to 140psi in under a minute. Light enough to lift with one arm.

I was looking at this one too. As well as the next size 2.5hp. They get good reviews.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:19 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I was looking at this one too. As well as the next size 2.5hp. They get good reviews.
That makita is very good. I'm looking at the Milwaukee M18 battery powered model. Even quieter, but battery powered only this time around. I'm waiting for a dual plug in and battery powered option for on the go to come out with packout compatibility.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:18 PM

I thought I had all the stuff today, but it turns out there is another piece you need to connect the hose to the compressor and there's no mention of this on the website or in any of the manuals. I suppose my next trip to Lowe's will be to return the hose to Lowes since I ordered on one Amazon that doesn't need that piece. Yes, that makes more sense to me than going to Lowe's just to buy the other piece that's pretty cheap anyway. I suppose the value is just feeling like I'm now done with this other than waiting the for new hose.

On the plus side, the compressor itself works and if I keep the wheel really close, I can inflate a tire and get a challenging tubeless tire to seat, so I'm most of the way there.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
There is no competition for California Air Tools for bike use. Even their smallest will seat 29x2.5 tubeless (and I’m sure fatbike tires too) and they’re so damn small and quiet.

It seems to me that effectiveness seating tubeless may have a lot to do with the flow rates. Thinking of this after experiencing some difficulty seating a 48mm tire on a i27 rim. With the bead seated on one side I had to sort of help the bead on the other with a lever. This was *even with a 5.8 scfm flow rate (@90psi), 6hp Porter Cable behemoth. This may have been down to the rim width too. I just ordered the two-gallon Harbor Freight that Latestart linked above as a quieter unit to replace the PC. I looked at Harbor Freight and CAT one gallon and two gallon units, which have the same or similar noise ratings. For one-gallon, the former has only .7 scfm, which gave me pause, compared to CAT 1.2 scfm. Would have gone with the latter but decided to go the next size up for added flow rate and in case I do need for slightly bigger jobs. Comparing two-gallon units the Harbor Freight and CAT are comparable with 2.1 and 2.2 flow rates, resp.

Last edited by marciero; 08-10-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:46 AM
DELETE ACCNT

You, sir, are no cyclist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
Light enough to lift with one arm.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Remember to open the drain valve in the tank after you finish using the compressor, as water will collect in the tank over time and corrode it.
This is a good point. For those of us who don't use compressors very often, a good strategy might be to get a compressor with an aluminum tank.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
It seems to me that effectiveness seating tubeless may have a lot to do with the flow rates. Thinking of this after experiencing some difficulty seating a 48mm tire on a i27 rim. With the bead seated on one side I had to sort of help the bead on the other with a lever. This was *even with a 5.8 scfm flow rate (@90psi), 6hp Porter Cable behemoth. This may have been down to the rim width too. I just ordered the two-gallon Harbor Freight that Latestart linked above as a quieter unit to replace the PC. I looked at Harbor Freight and CAT one gallon and two gallon units, which have the same or similar noise ratings. For one-gallon, the former has only .7 scfm, which gave me pause, compared to CAT 1.2 scfm. Would have gone with the latter but decided to go the next size up for added flow rate and in case I do need for slightly bigger jobs. Comparing two-gallon units the Harbor Freight and CAT are comparable with 2.1 and 2.2 flow rates, resp.
Seating a tire has everything to do with flow rate. However it has nothing to do with the scfm of your compressor. The flow of your compressors pump is to charge the tank. The tank can deliver air to the ability of the next pinch point. In the case of bicycle tires that's the presta valve stem. If you're having trouble, pull the valve core, get a larger diameter hose or tires that work better with your rims. A bigger compressor isn't going to help much though.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 08-11-2020, 03:00 AM

This one worked well for me

https://www.bikebling.com/Lezyne-Pre...shoppingengine
Old 08-11-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
Seating a tire has everything to do with flow rate. However it has nothing to do with the scfm of your compressor. The flow of your compressors pump is to charge the tank. The tank can deliver air to the ability of the next pinch point. In the case of bicycle tires that's the presta valve stem. If you're having trouble, pull the valve core, get a larger diameter hose or tires that work better with your rims. A bigger compressor isn't going to help much though.

Ah. Of course- This sounds like basic fluid dynamics and makes total sense. The rate that the air flows out of the tank and into your tires would be determined by the tank pressure (or I guess the regulator pressure if you set that lower, and the smallest opening. So a larger hose would not help either. (For the record, when I did get it to seat by "helping" it, it was in fact with valve core removed, and I do have a 3/8" rather than 1/4" hose). So the published SCFM will give you an indication of how fast the tank will get pressurized-faster for higher flow rate, given the same tank size?

Other notes: I note well MikeD's caution about draining the tank. And I notice this bolded in several places in the manual for the Porter Cable I am using. This thing had not been used in at least 5-10 years before I fired it up and of course, the petcock is broken and the secondary bolt that the petcock valve screws into is stripped. Finally there is about a 2" bolt concentric with those two that could be removed and replaced. Further justification for the Harbor Freight I ordered, which does have an aluminum tank. Added benefit of reducing the weight.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:13 PM

Weirdness with CAT. Went away for four days. Came back and compressor would run but not build pressure. Freaking mud wasps built a blockage in the little inlet tube into filter, knocked it free and all was good. Amazing.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
There is no competition for California Air Tools for bike use. Even their smallest will seat 29x2.5 tubeless (and I’m sure fatbike tires too) and they’re so damn small and quiet. They work well enough for automobile use but the small ones may need to catch up if you’re putting a lot of air in.

This is the one I have. $112 shipped. California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S Light & Quiet Portable Air Compressor, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYHYHEA..._80CkFbTDQJ0M2
I ended up with a 2.5 hp Milwaukee quiet compressor. It's like 65 decibels, and will drive a finish nailer all day. I know, I've tried. It's pretty darn quiet...I had the old compressor in the utility room in the basement, with copper air lines to the workshop and up to the garage. The old compressor would shake the house when it kicked on. Conversely, you have to remember to turn off the Milwaukee when you're done for the day...it won't remind you!

It will also fill tires, although I haven't tried filling SUV tires from empty....
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy