Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 09:10 PM

I bought a Hulk 2hp, 20 gal compressor for my garage a couple years ago. It is super quiet, and has enough capacity and power (6cfm) for anything I will do in or out of my garage. Just used it to build a shed with 100ft of air hose to run a framing nailer, it doesnt miss a beat with my 1/2 impact on auto stuff either.

I got it on sale somewhere else, but here is the specs https://www.homedepot.com/p/HULK-POW...20SS/302691859
Old 08-04-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I bought a Hulk 2hp, 20 gal compressor for my garage a couple years ago. It is super quiet, and has enough capacity and power (6cfm) for anything I will do in or out of my garage. Just used it to build a shed with 100ft of air hose to run a framing nailer, it doesnt miss a beat with my 1/2 impact on auto stuff either.

I got it on sale somewhere else, but here is the specs https://www.homedepot.com/p/HULK-POW...20SS/302691859
That looks like some serious power there.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
Instead of overthinking it for a while, I just pulled the trigger on this one from Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIE...sor/1001014016
It is probably overkill, but I do have a lot of tires that could use air. I ended up ordering the Prestaflator and I'll see how that works. It feels kind of weird to be excited about an air compressor, but I'll take my thrills however I can get them.
Very good. Probably the same head end as the CAT.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
Instead of overthinking it for a while, I just pulled the trigger on this one from Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIE...sor/1001014016
It is probably overkill, but I do have a lot of tires that could use air. I ended up ordering the Prestaflator and I'll see how that works. It feels kind of weird to be excited about an air compressor, but I'll take my thrills however I can get them.
I know huh? Also the various inflators and tools. Inspired to action by a couple of recent threads I finally fired up a compressor I inherited, a 6hp, 20 gallon Porter Cable that sat in my garage for two years. Honestly I was frightened to switch it on. My father had similarly acquired it somehow but pretty sure he never used it either. Would it rupture? explode? I also had the manual for it (thanks Dad) and it works as intended. I also got the prestaflator and it works great. I also looked at Efficient Velo inflators which are quite beautiful. Also the Silca Hiro head. But opted for cheap but functional. Plus you get a bunch of attachments with the prestaflator. Looking forward to air drying bike parts!
https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools?category=Inflation

Last edited by marciero; 08-06-2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:21 PM

I'm sure the EVT inflator is nice, but it looks like something you could build yourself with a couple pieces from an auto parts store and some plumbing adapters... except the presta adapter.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:47 PM

Another thumbs up for CAT. I have the California Air Tools CAT-4610AC.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:59 PM

I have a cat 10020c and its fine. Makes a racket when first powered on then something happens and it hums along quietly.
Does not hold pressure overnight tho.

Fwiw, the prestaflator sucked. Worked great but the seal in the Presta head is some super delicate silicone that got shredded after a dozen uses. Wasn't crazy about the adapter bits I had to keep track of either. I now use a cheapo amazon universal presta Schrader head that works amazing
Old 08-06-2020, 10:12 PM

This showed up today, though I still need to get the hose. Now that I’ve got a spare, I can actually go out and ride the 35s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
I have a cat 10020c and its fine. Makes a racket when first powered on then something happens and it hums along quietly.
Does not hold pressure overnight tho.

Fwiw, the prestaflator sucked. Worked great but the seal in the Presta head is some super delicate silicone that got shredded after a dozen uses. Wasn't crazy about the adapter bits I had to keep track of either. I now use a cheapo amazon universal presta Schrader head that works amazing

It sounds like it "worked great" for you except for the bushing, and your issue is with the bits. One of presta bits appears to be a Silca clone, including the bushing. If so it will take a Silca replacement bushing. Thats a simple matter. Or get a fancy Silca head like the Hiro, which should screw right on. Or, as you point out, you can get a dual presta/schrader for cheap if you prioritize dual use

Last edited by marciero; 08-07-2020 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:34 AM

Arundel Hansel. Works like a Hiro, 29.95. Screws into schrader threads.

Op- don’t cheap out in a nylon coiled hose.They don’t last and ate only 1/4. There are nice 3/8 poly options on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2020, 07:03 AM

I had not heard of CAT but the timing is great. I need a new compressor. I got tired of my loud and hulking oil-less compressor.

I am starting to reside my house and need a compressor to run a nail gun but then for tires etc. I will look through their models.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I had not heard of CAT but the timing is great. I need a new compressor.
Same here . . . I have a battery powered Ryobi for car tires but tried to use it yesterday and the LED display is kaput.

I ordered the CAT last night and I’m glad it will work for mounting bike tires as well as keeping car tires properly inflated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 08-07-2020, 11:11 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post

I have a small VIAair 12 volt compressor that I used when autocrossing...even that only takes a minute or to two to top off a tire.

No crown molding for me, just some finish nailing on bookcases. Would be nice to bring the air to the room, rather than snaking 100' + of hose from the shop up two flights of stairs...

Hmmm...
I have a Viaair as well....has a cigarette lighter plug for 12v. Just picked up a 12v adapter that plugs into my new Weego jumpstarter so I can use it when away from my car.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:12 PM
This space left blank

I've looked into CAT previously. They're based just 20 minutes from me. It's good to hear all the positive comments because reading the reviews on Amazon stopped me 2 different times. I think it's time to just buy one and see how it goes. Worst case, I can trot down there and get service if needed.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:40 PM
Resident Slacker

I just picked this up for myself a month ago. Been wanting to get one for years. Finally pulled the trigger. Pretty happy with it. Super quiet (around 80db) and the 2.6 gallon tank fills to 140psi in under a minute. Light enough to lift with one arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4386.jpg (118.8 KB, 111 views)