Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2016, 12:03 PM

Front Rack Mount

I recently picked up a bruce gordon lowrider from a fellow forumite. As you can see from the photos, the top fork eyelets do not line up with the rack. What is the best way to work around this? Would a single pair of clamps be sufficient? Do I need additional bracing? Thank you.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:06 PM

Don't believe I'd bother working around it. I'd pass it along and get a Tubus, which I know for a fact will fit that fork perfectly.

But, yeah, one rubber coated P-clamp per leg will offer enough support.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-15-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Don't believe I'd bother working around it. I'd pass it along and get a Tubus, which I know for a fact will fit that fork perfectly.

But, yeah, one rubber coated P-clamp per leg will offer enough support.
Tara is second on my list. This rack just looks so well proportioned that I'm willing to work with clamps. So just one set per side? No need to fabricate a bracket?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dired View Post
Tara is second on my list. This rack just looks so well proportioned that I'm willing to work with clamps. So just one set per side? No need to fabricate a bracket?
Well, you already have one per side at the dropout. This will spread the load. But, as important, it will fix the position of the rack. You shouldn't need to fashion a bracket per se. I'd just use a P-clamp (sold as "rubber insulated P-clamp") and the correct length barrel spacer to span the gap between the P-clamp and the rack slot. If you don't have a stash of the latter, 2-4 Presta valve nuts will work.

Just give Mr. Gordon a call and tell him it doesn't fit your new bike. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you and he'll offer a solution.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-15-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Well, you already have one per side at the dropout. This will spread the load. But, as important, it will fix the position of the rack. You shouldn't need to fashion a bracket per se. I'd just use a P-clamp (sold as "rubber insulated P-clamp") and the correct length barrel spacer to span the gap between the P-clamp and the rack slot. If you don't have a stash of the latter, 2-4 Presta valve nuts will work.

Just give Mr. Gordon a call and tell him it doesn't fit your new bike. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you and he'll offer a solution.
We spoke a few weeks back and he spent a lot of time assuring me that the brakes won't clear unless I use HYRD calipers or get his other rack designed to work with an adapter plate. As you can see, no clearance issues..

He also gave me an earful about how ****ty my bike is:
http://brucegordoncycles.blogspot.co...elievable.html
Old 08-15-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dired View Post
We spoke a few weeks back and he spent a lot of time assuring me that the brakes won't clear unless I use HYRD calipers or get his other rack designed to work with an adapter plate. As you can see, no clearance issues..

He also gave me an earful about how ****ty my bike is:
http://brucegordoncycles.blogspot.co...elievable.html
Ha! I was totally joking. From what I can tell calling Bruce Gordon is like zipping up your dick in your Levi's on purpose.

BG: It won't clear.
You: But, spacer. . .
BG: NO! STFU.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-15-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Ha! I was totally joking. From what I can tell calling Bruce Gordon is like zipping up your dick in your Levi's on purpose.

BG: It won't clear.
You: But, spacer. . .
BG: NO! STFU.