Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 02:50 AM
Strong Walker

didn't notice they spread the QFs out over the coming week, starting wednesday..

Wednesday 21:00 UTC+1: Bergamo - Paris SG
Thursday 21:00 UTC+1: RB Leipzig - Atletico Madrid
Friday 21:00 UTC+1: FC Barcelona - FC Bayern München
Saturday 21:00 UTC+1: Manchester City - Olympique Lyon

Atletico have 2 confirmed COVID cases among their squad. Apparently, these will (naturally) stay at home while the rest of the team goes to Lisboa.

comment on the rd of 16 rematches:

Bayern looked massive against Chelsea despite the 1 month break they had.There were reports along the line that Chelsea, after the first leg and given their injury situation, they just wanted to get this over with without getting humiliated, so it remains to be seen how good Bayern really are. I guess we'll find out on friday. Barcelona certainly doesnt look as strong as they once were but they have Messi who is in good form and are perfactly capable of winning that one match.
Bayern expect Coman and Boatend to be back on board, even Pavard being match ready is a possibility, which gives them a full squad (i think first time i see that happen at this stage of the season).

Hard to predict favourites, even the underdog teams are capable of beating any team on a given day. The format with just one leg played as the flair of a WC or EC end round. It was in Lisboa where Greece snatched the European title in 2004

Last edited by martl; 08-10-2020 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:30 PM

Bergamo Atalanta leads!
Old 08-12-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Bergamo Atalanta leads!
They have been playing well.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Bergamo Atalanta leads!
Old 08-12-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
They have been playing well.
Unlike Neymar, who's missed a few good chances

Atalanta is playing with fire though and are lucky not to have conceded. Should be a good second half
Old 08-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Damn, that was cruel.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Damn, that was cruel.
I think that is an understatement.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:14 PM

There's so much I could say about PSG and its Qatari owners; best left unsaid for now. Ugh soo close. Atalanta was really running ragged at the end.

-----------------------------------------

Wonder how the match tomorrow will pan out. I think Leipzig also likes to play on the counter. Might be a match of "you have the ball" and "no sir, you have the ball".
Old 08-12-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
There's so much I could say about PSG and its Qatari owners; best left unsaid for now. Ugh soo close. Atalanta was really running ragged at the end.

-----------------------------------------

Wonder how the match tomorrow will pan out. I think Leipzig also likes to play on the counter. Might be a match of "you have the ball" and "no sir, you have the ball".
I was sort of smiling when i thought psg was going out. Granted i am not really excited by either of the teams but i do like a good underdog..

Im suprised psg hasent made it to a semi before this year considering how much cash they have poored into the club in the last decade or more.

It was long overdue and only happened in the last minute against a team who has never played in champions league before. Psg is a bit mentally weak imo. I dont think they will overcome it this year either.

Ill be routing for leipzig. Rumor has it Forsberg is in his best shape, he is usually very good when in good form. As a swede i must cheer for them.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 08-12-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Damn, that was cruel.
Yup -100 or so seconds. Gasperini had them playing well all season. Atalanta played their usual 3v3 in the back with that high line - live by the sword...... Fitness seems to have something to do with it as well.

Tomorrow's game should be an entertaining one - Is Oblak one of the best keepers in the world - I think so.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:22 AM
Strong Walker

First time I watched them over a full match, granted, but Atlanta looked like a very average side. I get it you play defensively at first in a one-leg tier as the technical weaker side but they started playing hoof the ball awy and pray to Mary around min 60..
On the other hand, Paris seems to lack quality in midfield/playmaking and looked *very* dependent on Neymars form - understandably so with Mbappe out at the beginning- in the end, the better bench won,but a PSG in that shape is at best an outside bet to go to the final or win, there are better balanced teams in the tournament
Old 08-13-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
First time I watched them over a full match, granted, but Atlanta looked like a very average side. I get it you play defensively at first in a one-leg tier as the technical weaker side but they started playing hoof the ball awy and pray to Mary around min 60..
On the other hand, Paris seems to lack quality in midfield/playmaking and looked *very* dependent on Neymars form - understandably so with Mbappe out at the beginning- in the end, the better bench won,but a PSG in that shape is at best an outside bet to go to the final or win, there are better balanced teams in the tournament
But dont forget Atlanta had been playing 2 games per week in Serie A while PSG hadn't played since March. I do believe freshness played a part.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
But dont forget Atlanta had been playing 2 games per week in Serie A while PSG hadn't played since March. I do believe freshness played a part.
to be fair, that freshness cuts both ways, as PSG looked rusty (and expectedly so)

Should be a few days of good football spectating
Old 08-13-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
to be fair, that freshness cuts both ways, as PSG looked rusty (and expectedly so)

Should be a few days of good football spectating
True, but I think it's easier to shake the rust off than it is to revive dead legs. But PSG surely felt the loss of DiMaria and Verrati.
In any event, I always seem to root for the underdog - Read that PSG spent more on Neymar and Mbappe than Atalanta had paid for players in total since 2001-02. Could that be true?
Old 08-13-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
True, but I think it's easier to shake the rust off than it is to revive dead legs. But PSG surely felt the loss of DiMaria and Verrati.
In any event, I always seem to root for the underdog - Read that PSG spent more on Neymar and Mbappe than Atalanta had paid for players in total since 2001-02. Could that be true?
I won't be surprised. The transfer fees of Atalanta starting 11 certainly cost less than either Neymar or Mbappe. I'd imagine that the same is true of salaries.

Btw, Atalanta's home stadium is known as the Gewiss Stadium, and I'm pretty sure it's the same company that sponsored the infamous cycling team of the 90s

Last edited by echappist; 08-13-2020 at 12:43 PM.