Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 02-17-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnetter View Post
Minus the couplers, to me this sounds like a more-evolved Rambouillet (which I believe you had at one point?) I still like mine but I'd love a bike like the one you are designing - a lighter and more modernized version. There is something simple and 'right' about mid-reach DP brakes and 700x32-35c.

KJ
Yes, you are on the money about the goal of the build--a lighter and more evolved Rambouillet. I did have a Ram that I rode a lot and really liked.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:49 PM

Other build goals: "Certified Slammed" and "Aero Gainz"
Old 02-17-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v531xc View Post
Other than S&S couplers and Breakaway, there's also the new Z coupler from Santana and Paragon. But, you know, then you go with Ti until they make a steel variant. I really like the Breakaway system, and not having a special wrench to carry is nice.
They actually do a Stainless Steel version as well for 1.25OD and 1.375OD tubing.

Stainless to regular steel creates it's own challenges in joinery, but then again, S&S couplers are also made from Stainless.. Worth the ask if Mr Gilmour would give them a shot as the aesthetic is superb!
Old 02-17-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
They actually do a Stainless Steel version as well for 1.25OD and 1.375OD tubing.

Stainless to regular steel creates it's own challenges in joinery, but then again, S&S couplers are also made from Stainless.. Worth the ask if Mr Gilmour would give them a shot as the aesthetic is superb!
They cost like a zillion dollars, and don’t come in the sizes needed for the frame. They are cool though
Old 02-17-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post

Well there is some new info: I think you could do a “mullet” breakaway: Ritchey up top, and Z-coupler on the DT. That said these are spendthrift and I image heavier than the Ritchey DT clamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2021, 11:24 AM

Ryan, that stem doesn't look parallel to the TT. With a 73 HTA, and a 6 degree slope, isn't parallel going to be minus 11 degrees? Minus 17 is level, subtract 6 for the slope, get 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Old 02-18-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Ryan, that stem doesn't look parallel to the TT. With a 73 HTA, and a 6 degree slope, isn't parallel going to be minus 11 degrees? Minus 17 is level, subtract 6 for the slope, get 11?
correct, he specified 84 stem and I added the parallel comment which is wrong. the parallel stem is 78.5 / -11.5
bici sonora V.1 assembly parallel stem by bicycletricycle666, on Flickr
Old 02-18-2021, 12:44 PM

Here is a comparison of the new Gilmour design with Clean’s Kirk that fit me so well:

Old 02-18-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Just curious, is anyone more keen on the 10 degree slope than the 6 degree?

Fairlight, and a few others use a 10 degree slope. It would give more seat post compliance.

Biketrike's Chapman looks great with the 6 degree--as does the Ellis DRB is this thread so that's kind of why I landed on the 6 degree.

Last edited by Bici-Sonora; 02-18-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
Here is a comparison of the new Gilmour design with Clean’s Kirk that fit me so well:

Very cool. You may have said this above but what program are you using there?
Old 02-18-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Very cool. You may have said this above but what program are you using there?
This is Bike Insights. It is more designed to enter geometry from production bikes with the geo. they publish online. However, you can create your own profile and make custom bikes that are private and not viewable by the public.

I like being able to overlay a custom with a bike you are familiar with--or see if how the lastest Specialized Diverge geo. matches up with the custom Ti gravel frame you are designing.

For the Gilmour we're working on here--it is not only similar to your Kirk, but also overlays well with with bikes as diverse as a Rivendell Roadeo and Ram., Twin Six Standard Rando, and Fairlight Secan.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
This is Bike Insights. It is more designed to enter geometry from production bikes with the geo. they publish online. However, you can create your own profile and make custom bikes that are private and not viewable by the public.

I like being able to overlay a custom with a bike you are familiar with--or see if how the lastest Specialized Diverge geo. matches up with the custom Ti gravel frame you are designing.

For the Gilmour we're working on here--it is not only similar to your Kirk, but also overlays well with with bikes as diverse as a Rivendell Roadeo and Ram., Twin Six Standard Rando, and Fairlight Secan.
That does make for a nice confirmation on design that you aren't straying too far into incremental oddity land. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-18-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Just curious, is anyone more keen on the 10 degree slope than the 6 degree?

Fairlight, and a few others use a 10 degree slope. It would give more seat post compliance.

Biketrike's Chapman looks great with the 6 degree--as does the Ellis DRB is this thread so that's kind of why I landed on the 6 degree.
I prefer the 10, but I'm engineering-minded enough and "form follows function" enough that my aesthetics are swayed by the addition of seatpost compliance and easier packing. And I came of age when sloping top tubes in mountain bikes were a thing, so they don't offend my eye in and of themselves. YMMV.

I don't like the 1-3 degree slope in some frames. I feel like you should either go for it whole-heartedly, or not. Again, YMMV, and everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I prefer the 10, but I'm engineering-minded enough and "form follows function" enough that my aesthetics are swayed by the addition of seatpost compliance and easier packing. And I came of age when sloping top tubes in mountain bikes were a thing, so they don't offend my eye in and of themselves. YMMV.

I don't like the 1-3 degree slope in some frames. I feel like you should either go for it whole-heartedly, or not. Again, YMMV, and everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
On some bikes I really like a 10 degree slope. The Fairlight Secan pictured here has a 10.2 slope and is otherwise nearly the same dimensions as the bike I'm designing. I don't like the 44mm headtube, but I adore the ovalized 853 top tube.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...00dc21d999.jpg
Old 02-18-2021, 06:16 PM

The trick with 60cm plus sized frame is avoiding the headtube wagging the dog effect. That is, a frame that looks like a giant head tube with a couple of puny triangles tagging along behind. haha.