Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2021, 06:39 PM

One down, three to go

My better half agreed to an automotive purchase in exchange for thinning the bicycle herd (which has been a long time coming anyway). It's not a matter of money, just simplifying life a bit...

So...I just delivered my Colnago Dream to my son, which makes the second Colnago he's gotten from me over the years. The other was a Crystal.

If I could find a good fork for the Dream CX, I'd give that to him too, as he needs a 'cross type bike for city riding.

I'll end up selling the Hot Tubes 'cross bike. Not sure what the fourth will be...we're starting to get into single digits.

Oh, and the wife doesn't consider an intra-family transfer a true thinning... I beg to differ...it's out of my care and into someone else's...

Which begs the question...if I build up and give him my Spiral Conic SLX, but it stays at the house for his use here, does that count?

Oh, and I love the new (to me) car.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-16-2021, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
My better half agreed to an automotive purchase in exchange for thinning the bicycle herd (which has been a long time coming anyway). It's not a matter of money, just simplifying life a bit...

So...I just delivered my Colnago Dream to my son, which makes the second Colnago he's gotten from me over the years. The other was a Crystal.

If I could find a good fork for the Dream CX, I'd give that to him too, as he needs a 'cross type bike for city riding.

I'll end up selling the Hot Tubes 'cross bike. Not sure what the fourth will be...we're starting to get into single digits.

Oh, and the wife doesn't consider an intra-family transfer a true thinning... I beg to differ...it's out of my care and into someone else's...

Which begs the question...if I build up and give him my Spiral Conic SLX, but it stays at the house for his use here, does that count?

Oh, and I love the new (to me) car.

lol.

i read half of your post, and my first thought was:

giving a bike to your son just means you're storing it in a different garage!

cheater!
Old 05-16-2021, 06:44 PM
ZhugeLiang

you cheeky little monkey, told you, your wife needs a better negotiator!
Old 05-16-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
you cheeky little monkey, told you, your wife needs a better negotiator!
I know. I remember you commenting that on the original thread.

Shush, please.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-16-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
lol.

i read half of your post, and my first thought was:

giving a bike to your son just means you're storing it in a different garage!

cheater!
Well...two of the bikes I gave him (a while ago) have been shipped across the country to a different garage. And he paid for shipping, so I think that means he's financially responsible for them. (He is 30!)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-16-2021, 06:55 PM
Administrator

listen c40. just listen up.

this is the second thread you have teased us on.

the last one you posted a photo of the p-car that was so bad, it could have been taken with a first generation rock-phone with the photog's angle of like worthless.

let's see a real photo of this car.

and, if you dont want to get banned tonight for all this talk of selling bikes for cars, a photo of this new vehicle with a bike inside of it.

clock is ticking.

tick, tick tick...

Old 05-16-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
if I build up and give him my Spiral Conic SLX, but it stays at the house for his use here, does that count?
Of course it does. It's like your wife moving shoes into a different closet. Totally valid.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Of course it does. It's like your wife moving shoes into a different closet. Totally valid.
My wife, dog bless her, all of her spending vices annually cost less than a pair of Campy Eurus wheels...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-17-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
listen c40. just listen up.

this is the second thread you have teased us on.

the last one you posted a photo of the p-car that was so bad, it could have been taken with a first generation rock-phone with the photog's angle of like worthless.

let's see a real photo of this car.

and, if you dont want to get banned tonight for all this talk of selling bikes for cars, a photo of this new vehicle with a bike inside of it.

clock is ticking.

tick, tick tick...

Okay, fine, you win!

There may, or may not, be a bike inside. And, there may, or may not, be a Campy license plate frame on the rear.

Note: finding this model p-car with roof rails for a bike (and kayak) rack is tough. Rails cannot be added later...I hope you all appreciate my efforts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cayenne.jpg (147.4 KB, 259 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 05-17-2021 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:49 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Okay, fine, you win!

There may, or may not, be a bike inside. And, there may, or may not, be a Campy license plate frame on the rear.

Note: finding this model p-car with roof rails for a bike (and kayak) rack is tough. Rails cannot be added later...I hope you all appreciate my efforts.
Well done.....we need a few more shots to critique the purchase and suggest options.....if you don't have a hitch, well this is the one on you want: Stealth Hitch
Old 05-17-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Well done.....we need a few more shots to critique the purchase and suggest options.....if you don't have a hitch, well this is the one on you want: Stealth Hitch
I could show you the butt view with the shiny chrome emblems and ask whether matt black replacements or just a smooth rear would be better...

That having been said, I've already ordered the matt black replacements and so far have received a 9x12 express box, inside of which was rolled packaging, inside of which was a single matt black "S". No wonder Porsche prices are so high!

And yes, I'm thinking about the Stealth Hitch but will probably go with OEM. The visible hitch doesn't bother me...and I don't know enough about how well the Stealth Hitch connector is engineered...that's the critical part of the whole thing...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-17-2021, 09:24 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
...And yes, I'm thinking about the Stealth Hitch but will probably go with OEM. The visible hitch doesn't bother me...and I don't know enough about how well the Stealth Hitch connector is engineered...that's the critical part of the whole thing...
I looked at the OEM BMW hitch (a friend had one) and it was kind of a connection goofy compared to the Stealth...so I went with Stealth, and got both the rack and towing options. The connector (latching mechanism) is very well made. When the rack receiver or ball mount is installed, not rattle or movement at all. It is pretty impressive.

Only real downside is you really need to get on the ground and under the back of the vehicle to install or remove. But it locks into place and is very solid.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
My wife, dog bless her, all of her spending vices annually cost less than a pair of Campy Eurus wheels...
Ah, well, in that case, it does seem as though you may be guilty as charged, and you can't even use "whataboutism" as a deflective too.

Good luck with that.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Paceline delivers again...I've got an offer of not one but two appropriate forks for the Dream CX!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-17-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I looked at the OEM BMW hitch (a friend had one) and it was kind of a connection goofy compared to the Stealth...so I went with Stealth, and got both the rack and towing options. The connector (latching mechanism) is very well made. When the rack receiver or ball mount is installed, not rattle or movement at all. It is pretty impressive.

Only real downside is you really need to get on the ground and under the back of the vehicle to install or remove. But it locks into place and is very solid.
Dunno about the BMW hitch, but the Porsche/Audi version is brain dead simple. Basic 2" hitch slides directly into receiver. On my Q7, it rattles a bit with an empty trailer (even with an anti-rattle clamp). With a full trailer it's quiet.

If I were planning on using a hitch mounted bicycle rack, I'd probably go with the Stealth Hitch, as it looks to be much better controlled...but mostly my bikes go inside the car or directly from garage to road or garage to dirt... I *do* have a Thule roof top bike rack, but that durn roof is higher than the one on my allroad
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy