Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I spent a few hours breaking the trail today. Some pretty deep powder and a lot of work!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
My man, this is how you break trail.
Draft horse (I mean wife!) out in front of you, making it easy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4013.jpg (89.3 KB, 322 views)
Old 01-07-2024, 04:19 PM

The snow ride looks like lots of fun!

It snowed in the higher elevation in arizona today but was only a light rain in phoenix.

Papago park is small but lots of fun and was in perfect condition today!

Old 01-07-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
My man, this is how you break trail.

Draft horse (I mean wife!) out in front of you, making it easy!
I like your style E!

Old 01-07-2024, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
The snow ride looks like lots of fun!

It snowed in the higher elevation in arizona today but was only a light rain in phoenix.

Papago park is small but lots of fun and was in perfect condition today!

The snow is a welcome thing this time of year, but I wouldn't mind a few good days in some sunshine either!

Old 01-08-2024, 07:27 PM
Vendor

Beautiful mid-40's day in the Shenandoah Valley. This one is taken on a little stretch of paved road that bifurcates into a couple of dirt roads which each deteriorate into pure hiking trails that lead up to Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park. It's a beautiful little pocket to ride out and back on; even if it's just a mile or so each way, those are a couple of the most satisfyingly breathtaking miles of every ride in which they feature.

Meanwhile, my recently acquired Ritchey Logic is feeling like the kind of bike that nudges 'bike riding love' across the line into 'bike riding addiction' territory.

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 01-08-2024, 08:07 PM

Just another winter day in northern Michigan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpuCyB7DPM.jpg (115.3 KB, 280 views)
Old 01-08-2024, 09:41 PM

Loving these pics! That snow was awesome. And that Ritchey looks right at home there!

Two pics from my long Friday Santa Monica mountains ride: the first is from Yerba Buena. This view has a mini Dolomites vibe to it. And the other is from a short climb called Scheuren, which leads up to Saddle Peak from Las Flores or Piuma (this was following Piuma). This house has the most amazing view.

Old 01-09-2024, 08:14 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiepaletti View Post
Loving these pics! That snow was awesome. And that Ritchey looks right at home there!

Two pics from my long Friday Santa Monica mountains ride: the first is from Yerba Buena. This view has a mini Dolomites vibe to it. And the other is from a short climb called Scheuren, which leads up to Saddle Peak from Las Flores or Piuma (this was following Piuma). This house has the most amazing view.
The difference in the shapes and textures of east coast mountains and west coast mountains is amazing.

Haha, yes, that Ritchey on that gate is red metal tubing on red metal tubing. Tried to bring as much red into that pic as possible, thanks for noticing.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
A few recent ones.

December 31, first time on a bike in exactly six weeks. Collarbone is feeling good!:

Jan 1:

Jan 2:

Didn't stop for pics on Jan 3!

Jan 4:

Jan 5:
Gorgeous pics, Mike!

Where were the first and third pics taken?
Old 01-09-2024, 08:57 AM
Vendor

Thanks!

Those were both taken at the Dickey Ridge Visitor Center overlook. It's at the top of the first hill in Shenandoah National Park (from the northmost entrance). A long but shallow and very pretty 4.5 mile climb. The start of the climb is literally half a mile from my front door, and not a ride goes by where I don't feel #grateful #blessed (ugh ) for having it in my proverbial backyard.
(I'm trying to getcha to come over and visit for a ride, can you tell?)
Old 01-09-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Those were both taken at the Dickey Ridge Visitor Center overlook. It's at the top of the first hill in Shenandoah National Park (from the northmost entrance). A long but shallow and very pretty 4.5 mile climb. The start of the climb is literally half a mile from my front door, and not a ride goes by where I don't feel #grateful #blessed (ugh ) for having it in my proverbial backyard.
A trip to the Blue Ridge is high on the Bucket List! We could hook up with our mutual buddy Eric Channing.
Old 01-09-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Michael, that's a great looking Ritchey. About 25 years ago (I am 71 now) a buddy and I rode the 104 mile mountainous Skyline drive from Front Royal to Waynesboro in some odd hours (don't remember the number). He parked an old car in Waynesboro and we took that back to Winchester. No way today. Thanks for your great ride reports.

Dave

Last edited by dcama5; 01-09-2024 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 05:34 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
Michael, that's a great looking Ritchey. About 25 years ago (I am 71 now) a buddy and I rode the 104 mile mountainous Skyline drive from Front Royal to Waynesboro in some odd hours (don't remember the number). He parked an old car in Waynesboro and we took that back to Winchester. No way today. Thanks for your great ride reports.

Dave
Dave, that's a hard ride. Unceasingly beautiful and one of the most peaceful around if you do it on a weekday, but almost utterly relentless. Those 105 miles also feature well over 10,000 feet of climbing.
I've done rides that look even harder on paper, but those usually feature 3 or 4 huge climbs and a whole bunch of flatness in between. Skyline is just climb after climb after climb, and even when you think 'oh, I'm at mile 80 and at 2800 feet, it's gotta be all downhill from here.' No, there are still several significant climbs to go. Nothing leg breakingly steep, but it's a war of attrition that leaves most cyclists completely exhausted by the end. ("Shelled" and "shattered" are two adjectives that friends have used to describe their feelings upon reaching Waynesboro.) Fortunately, the equally relentless beautiful views do a lot to distract the mind from the body, which makes things *a little* easier.

Thank you for the kind words about the Ritchey. Perhaps a complete Skyline haul is in its future, come spring.

And I'm still waiting to figuratively run into you somewhere someday in Clarke County or out at Cedar Creek-Belle Grove.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:23 PM

I do Skyline with friends four or five times a year, usually north entrance to Elk Wallow and back. 48 miles, 5200 feet of climbing. It’ll wear you down but feels good to be done at the end of the day.

On the other hand I’m 72, so there’s that.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:31 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
I do Skyline with friends four or five times a year, usually north entrance to Elk Wallow and back. 48 miles, 5200 feet of climbing. It’ll wear you down but feels good to be done at the end of the day.

On the other hand I’m 72, so there’s that.
I'd wager we've passed each other at least a couple of times. I really like getting to the top of the climb out of Elkwallow, on the way back, and thinking '21 miles to go, and 17 of those are downhill.'

XXXTwindad: I don't know Eric *that* well, just have run into him a couple of times in unexpected places and swapped a few emails, but seems like a really great guy and I'd enjoy riding with both of you.