Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingson View Post
BRPW.
what is traffic like?
extremely scenic and popular road looks very narrow and no shoulder.
looks inviting for motorists to drive faster than what is appropriate
It actually kind of sucked. I've done this ride probably ten times but I have not done it in like 5 years or so. It never used to be this bad. I think the post covid blues has a lot to do with it. We counted 400 or so cars that passed us out and back. Every parking spot in the Craggy Garden stop was full. And this was a Thursday. We ran into a local who rides there all the time and he said it was unusually busy that day. He also said Monday and Tuesday were the best days to go out. DON'T go on the weekend.

Having said all that the drivers were all reasonable, gave us plenty of room, and didn't throw any thing at us

I would not suggest to not do this ride because of the traffic, it's worth it. BUt scenes like this were fairly typical:

Old 06-29-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
I hope you did the north shore first to get the hills out of the way. Wow - some ride and alway love a shot of the Big Duck! I grew up in St James & Stony Brook, so familiar with all the roads and bagel shops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thats exactly the way we took! when i was making the route i was hoping for a tailwind back but of course we had a pretty nasty crosswind from the south for the last 100 miles. totally demoralizing at certain points.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenn View Post
thats exactly the way we took! when i was making the route i was hoping for a tailwind back but of course we had a pretty nasty crosswind from the south for the last 100 miles. totally demoralizing at certain points.
I know those crosswinds - same happened to me and my group going from an average of 25 mph down to 13 mph on a century to Montauk! Just brutal - I was so knackered!

Good luck on your ride.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
First dawn patrol ride of the year, a short one, but nice to get out.
humber bridge...nice
Old 06-29-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimp123 View Post
@ SlowPokePete what is that stem handle bar configuration? looks cool and intriguing.
sorry just saw this...one piece stem/bar, as well as fork were made for me by James at Black Sheep Cycles in Fort Collins, CO.

SPP
Old 06-29-2021, 08:41 PM

New bike day after all were stolen…pretty happy with the replacement!

Santa Cruz stigmata with mullet AXS

Old 06-30-2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
New bike day after all were stolen…pretty happy with the replacement!

Santa Cruz stigmata with mullet AXS

What do you mean by „all“ bikes stolen? How many bikes? And how did that happen??
Old 06-30-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_mm View Post
What do you mean by „all“ bikes stolen? How many bikes? And how did that happen??
3 bikes, ton of other stuff, burglarized from a storage unit in the building where I live.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
3 bikes, ton of other stuff, burglarized from a storage unit in the building where I live.
Wow, very upsetting indeed!
Hope the insurance will help a little.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:39 AM

Cafe stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2021, 10:53 AM

Jensen, you and RudAwkning are my heroes! I think I've done a long ride when I circumnavigate Martha's Vineyard, at maybe 80 miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenn View Post
Did a double this past Saturday for a shakedown to get ready for a 480 mile ride in August.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:21 PM

We spent a few days on vacation in Olema (north of San Francisco by about an hour along the coast, near Pt Reyes). I had ridden through Olema and Pt Reyes numerous times but had never spent more than an afternoon in the area. With a few days to explore, got to see some new roads and ride some places that I otherwise would probably not have ventured.

Best ride of the trip was up Mt Vision in Pt Reyes National Seashore. It was super foggy so I didn't take many photos, but the 4 mile climb was great. The road is one lane wide all the way to the top. Thankfully, I didn't see any cars on the climb or other riders for that matter (weekday morning).

Really though, just nice to spend a few days away from town during the week when there weren't very many other visitors around.

Olema

Top of Mt Vision

Mural in Pt Reyes Station
Old 07-02-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

Cafe stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Needs half & half 😉
Old 07-02-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Bismark View Post
We spent a few days on vacation in Olema (north of San Francisco by about an hour along the coast, near Pt Reyes). I had ridden through Olema and Pt Reyes numerous times but had never spent more than an afternoon in the area. With a few days to explore, got to see some new roads and ride some places that I otherwise would probably not have ventured.

Best ride of the trip was up Mt Vision in Pt Reyes National Seashore. It was super foggy so I didn't take many photos, but the 4 mile climb was great. The road is one lane wide all the way to the top. Thankfully, I didn't see any cars on the climb or other riders for that matter (weekday morning).

Really though, just nice to spend a few days away from town during the week when there weren't very many other visitors around.

Olema

Top of Mt Vision

Mural in Pt Reyes Station
Mount vision is one of my favorite rides too but on a gravel bike as you can take “gravel” err single track the top of Limatour rd for a rocking descent. Really none better than Mt Vison in the fog.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Mount vision is one of my favorite rides too but on a gravel bike as you can take “gravel” err single track the top of Limatour rd for a rocking descent. Really none better than Mt Vison in the fog.
Thanks for the recommendation! Now having been there I would probably take my Breadwinner B-road if I were doing it again. I really need to ride that bike more often.