Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2021, 04:30 PM

carbon vs steel fork

How likely am I to notice a difference?
The bike’s a Soma Wolverine, set up as an all-road/gravel bike, currently with Soma’s steel fork. Ritchey do a carbon fork that is 10mm shorter but same rake.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:00 PM
Randomhead

Both forks have the same rake?

If so, you might notice the steering is a little quicker with the Ritchey.

I was going to be cynical and ask you what you thought was going to be the difference, because cognitive bias dominates in changes like this.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderR View Post
The bike’s a Soma Wolverine, set up as an all-road/gravel bike, currently with Soma’s steel fork. Ritchey do a carbon fork that is 10mm shorter but same rake.
All other things being equal and assuming you have a wheelbase of ~1000mm, a 10mm shorter axle-to-crown distance changes the headtube angle by ~0.6 degrees. You'll probably notice that -- when you first change it, at least. If you go through with the swap, you'll probably get used to it in fairly short order.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:28 PM
formerly Landshark_98

bike will be a little lighter. Better? Hard to say - I think a well made steel fork rides much nicer than a carbon fork but I have no experience with either of the forks you are comparing.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:35 PM

For non disc forks, carbon generally handles and corners better, absorbs impacts and road chatter about the same or better, and weighs half as much. For disc forks, steel has nothing going for it besides being able to have a million braze ons and carry weight. It doesn't ride more comfortably, it doesn't handle better, and it's quite heavy.

Steel frames are absolutely great, steel forks not as much for me. Steel forks are for lugged bikes and track bikes, not monstercross disc touring bikes.

And I think keeping the axle to crown measurement the same is slightly more important than matching the rake, if you can only choose to have one of them right.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:38 PM

Thanks all. Indeed, I’m trying to figure out if it’ll be any better as well as lighter! (Edit: thanks Joevers - seems it may be…)

Slightly quicker steering would be no bad thing…though I’ve no idea if I’d notice the difference.

Is there likely to be much difference in feel between carbon and steel forks or does tire size/pressure have greater effect anyway?

Last edited by RiderR; 10-12-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:48 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Years ago, after a head-on wreck, I switched from a steel fork (on a steel Trek with a 1" HT) to a CF fork with a steel steerer tube.

The single biggest change I noticed was that when I would hit small bumps or potholes the steel fork used to go "twang" but the CF fork went "thud." Everything else was basically the same.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:59 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

On a titanium, aluminum, or carbon fiber bicycle frame my inclination is for a carbon fiber fork.
On a steel frame (and especially if lugged) my preference is for a steel fork from same builder.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:38 PM
Deconditioned!

To get the length as close to stock as possible (so as to maintain geo/handling), Chris King makes a 5mm taller baseplate. Then the diff would only be 5mm shorter. That might make the handling diff negligible. Of course, then you are chumping up $150+ for a new King headset.

You could just ride it stock and see if you like it. While a carbon fork is certainly a bunch lighter, you may not feel the weight difference. Same as riding a bike with no water bottles and then with 2 full water bottles.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderR View Post
Trying to lighten a Wolverine is just chasing your tail IMO
Old 10-13-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
To get the length as close to stock as possible (so as to maintain geo/handling), Chris King makes a 5mm taller baseplate. Then the diff would only be 5mm shorter. That might make the handling diff negligible. Of course, then you are chumping up $150+ for a new King headset.

You could just ride it stock and see if you like it. While a carbon fork is certainly a bunch lighter, you may not feel the weight difference. Same as riding a bike with no water bottles and then with 2 full water bottles.
Ritchey forks have an integrated crown race. Chris King baseplate won't work with them.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:14 AM

I swapped a surly midnight special fork for a parlee carbon fork and the difference was significant, IMO.

Obviously it was much lighter, but it also had more precise steering and handling.

Braking also improved and removed the chatter I sometimes experienced.

The rakes were different and I didn’t notice any handling changes.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
All other things being equal and assuming you have a wheelbase of ~1000mm, a 10mm shorter axle-to-crown distance changes the headtube angle by ~0.6 degrees. You'll probably notice that -- when you first change it, at least. If you go through with the swap, you'll probably get used to it in fairly short order.
If the head angle changes, so does the seat tube angle, right? A slightly steeper STA means the saddle goes back just a little bit too.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:50 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

IMO, carbon fork is more likely to be too stiff VS steel. Fine if you want that.

If weight is top box to check, steel will have that box empty.

I prefer feel of steel fork. On carbon frames the aesthetic with carbon fork better always.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:10 AM
Randomhead

I doubt that a Soma fork is particularly compliant. You probably won't notice any difference on that score.