Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2021, 10:48 AM

Shimano 7 speed STS on Neo spacer problem?

Hi guys, quick question and I didn't want to resurrect my thread from a couple weeks ago about using a 7 speed Shimano STS shifter with a new Direct Drive trainer that is 9 to 11 speed compatible (a Neo). Just received the trainer a couple days ago, plan to set it up this weekend, switching from a Computrainer. I have the 7 speed cassette and spacers so good to go there. But when I was bounding around various threads (not Paceline) a night or two ago I saw someone mention that one could just buy a 9 speed cassette and use the Shimano 7 speed STS downtube mounted shifters in friction mode. Then you'd have 9 speeds to play around with. I'd forgotten you could even use the STS in friction mode, I've had the bike for 30 years. Before I run off and buy a 9 speed cassette does this sound viable? I bought both a 4.5mm and 1.85mm spacer so assuming I'd no longer have to use both? Should my 7 speed chain work ok on the 9 speed cassette? It Sounds like a great idea if it works, I don't really care about the 7 speed indexing. Thanks!

Last edited by A1A; 11-14-2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Yea, great option. My everyday bikes operate 9-sp friction shift.

The bike you saw me on at dirtphalt is 10 speed friction shift.

Yep to just one spacer behind the cassette and youre good to go.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Yea, great option. My everyday bikes operate 9-sp friction shift.

The bike you saw me on at dirtphalt is 10 speed friction shift.

Yep to just one spacer behind the cassette and youre good to go.

Awesome, thanks Angry! Never thought of it until I saw the posting. I only bought a cheap 7 speed Shimano Tourney cassette for $20 shipped to use to make sure this whole thing worked out so I can use that for a few days until I order and receive a 9 speed cassette. My biggest worry is being able to spread the 126mm rear dropouts enough to get them on the 130 mm Neo spacing. I've already tried spreading them a little but hard to judge if it is 4mm. An old steel 1988 Colorado. Guess I'll find out tomorrow morning. You've seen me, not a whole lot of upper body strength going on there, just an old skinny wannabe climber (>:
Old 11-14-2021, 10:10 AM

Spacer question??

So I'm finally trying to set up the Neo to give it a try and I'm having trouble with the spacers with the 7 speed cassette on the Neo 8 to 12 freehub. If I use the 4.5mm and 1.85mm spacers like I believe I'm supposed to it seems to move the casssette out slightly too far. The last cog (the smallest and only loose one) has two "teeth" on the inside where it slides onto the freee hub splines, only a teensy bit of the lower "tooth" is even catching the notches. And I only seem to be able to screw the lockring on a little which tells me it isn't threading in very far. If I use the 4.5 spacer and the 1mm spacer that came with the Neo (not sure what the 1mm spacer is for) it seems better, pretty the entire lower tooth on the inside of the loose cog is seated (but not the upper tooth) and I can thread the locking ring on further. Sound like a newbie I know but I've never really had to mess around with spacers before. I'm asking because maybe the way it is working with the 4.5 and 1.85 spacers is normal since everyone seemed to think that's what I'd need and I don't realize it. My concern is that if it isn't right I'll put too much stress on the little section of the loose cog that is barely gripping and wear both it and the free hub out too quickly. I'm already ordering a 9 speed cassette to use instead of the 7 in friction mode on the 7 speed indexed STS shifters but I won't have it for a week and really would love to try this Neo out today, thanks!
Old 11-14-2021, 10:15 AM

Yep you want good engagement for that last cog and the lockring. Go with whatever spacers you need. Whenever I do stuff like this I just grab my bag of extra spacers and use what I need to get the cassette on properly. Never really consider how thick the spacer actually is.

Then you just make the minor adjustments to the RD as needed to cover the cassette while locking things out so you can't shift off the cassette and either into the spokes or jammed between the cassette and the dropout.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:32 AM

I don't think a 7 speed chain will work on a 9 speed cassette, but I may be wrong.

Use whatever spacers you need to get a good fit. You can also sand down a spacer on a flat surface with a piece of sandpaper if you need to.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:36 AM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! Should both horizontal teeth on the inside of the loose 12 tooth cog be full seated on the splines or is it ok if just one is? There is a tiny space between the upper and lower tooth on the cog. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2021, 12:01 PM

Hi guys, any thoughts on my last question about one tooth on the cog being ok or needs to be both? thanks!
Old 11-14-2021, 12:48 PM

Shimano 7 speed STS on Neo spacer problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
Hi guys, any thoughts on my last question about one tooth on the cog being ok or needs to be both? thanks!

You can see how deep the outermost cog sits by taking off the cassette and putting it on the freehub alone. You do want everything that is supposed to be engaging with the freehub splines to do so. Can you post a pic? Hard to understand what teeth you are talking about.

Lots of relevant photos here:

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...does-spacer-go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jc031699; 11-14-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031699 View Post
You can see how deep the outermost cog sits by taking off the cassette and putting it on the freehub alone. You do want everything that is supposed to be engaging with the freehub splines to do so. Can you post a pic? Hard to understand what teeth you are talking about.

Lots of relevant photos here:

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...does-spacer-go

Here's a photo of the cassette using both the 4.5mm and 1.85 mm spacers which is what was suggested to use when using a 7 speed cassette on a free hub that is 12 speed compatible which I believe the Neo 2T free hub is. So it looks like using both spacers takes up too much room? I need to use smaller spacers? The 1.85 spacer has the notches so that the rivets on the back of the cassete sit flush. It might be ok if I just used the 4.5mm spacer but I'd have to file notches in the spacer to accomodate the 2 rivet heads. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211114_153827064.jpg (99.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-14-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031699 View Post
You can see how deep the outermost cog sits by taking off the cassette and putting it on the freehub alone. You do want everything that is supposed to be engaging with the freehub splines to do so.
Do this and space accordingly.
Spacers are available in .5mm increments to get this stuff really right.
That is all.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Do this and space accordingly.
Spacers are available in .5mm increments to get this stuff really right.
That is all.
Thanks, I'll order a variety of thicknesses. I think I'm about 2mm too thick right now.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:43 AM

The size of Shimano cassette spacers is the same as for a BSA bottom bracket, if that helps for looking through your parts drawer.