Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2018, 03:20 PM

Considering "we" have Miami's 2021 pick, unprotected, I really hope Miami gets him. He'll either leave by then, and they'll give assets for the rental...or, even better, they sign him. And 2021 should be just in time for him to be, basically, Deng. And Butler and Whiteside?
Old 10-10-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
You really believe in Bron, huh? I do too, just think it will take them 30 something games to figure out what they are.

Can't believe I left the Nuggets out of my West list. Especially since I, ya know, live here. I'm retroactively putting them at 6 and moving everyone else down a slot.

Kobe was going for the trial-by-fire angle when he got up on Smush and Kwame. I don't know what Butler's angle is here. The Wolves are committed to KAT and Wiggins by contracts/age. Jimmy is their best player, but he's got to be moved. The chances that Wolves find a deal they can stomach for a player that good are continually eroded as he undermines their leverage at every turn. He's now actively working against his own apparent self-interest.
Honestly...if Butler is their best player...with Wiggins and KAT on super max...they have a bigger problem. I still think Wiggins is their make or break. Agree on your point though!

I think I said elsewhere here...it seems like yesterday I was angry and depressed when the sixers got the 3rd pick and missed on Wiggins. They took Embiid? With his injuries! ***?!? Yeah - I guess that's why I'm not a GM.

You could be right about them taking some time, but I'm also very high on Ingram, and they have a lot of tough, smart shooters on that bench. Josh hart? Born to play with Bron. I'm also more impressed with Lonzo than some. OK - he's a poor man's Ben Simmons, but that's still high praise! I also really like KCP...and am pissed we didn't do more to land him in 17'.

Last edited by Aaron O; 10-10-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:30 PM

Are you implying that a Tom Thibadeau player who relies on athleticism is headed for a steep drop-off in his early 30s? Joakim Noah would like a word, sir.

I think the fact that KAT and Wiggins are on Supermax (have to do the first, not sure why they did the latter) and Butler isn't is part of the issue, IMO. Butler is headed for that steep drop-off, but he is absolutely their best 2-way player. I understand why Thibs brought him in for win-now purposes with his guys, but he has really stunted KATs growth. He needs to be closer to the 28% usage rate he was in 16-17 instead of the 22% he was last season.

In addition to the Lakers taking some time to work out their best lineups (and I'm with you that those lineups will involve their young players + LBJ), I have a feeling that we will get 50% LBJ until about February. He's got miles, and he knows how to meter his effort so he's ready to go in May.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Are you implying that a Tom Thibadeau player who relies on athleticism is headed for a steep drop-off in his early 30s? Joakim Noah would like a word, sir.

I think the fact that KAT and Wiggins are on Supermax (have to do the first, not sure why they did the latter) and Butler isn't is part of the issue, IMO. Butler is headed for that steep drop-off, but he is absolutely their best 2-way player. I understand why Thibs brought him in for win-now purposes with his guys, but he has really stunted KATs growth. He needs to be closer to the 28% usage rate he was in 16-17 instead of the 22% he was last season.

In addition to the Lakers taking some time to work out their best lineups (and I'm with you that those lineups will involve their young players + LBJ), I have a feeling that we will get 50% LBJ until about February. He's got miles, and he knows how to meter his effort so he's ready to go in May.
Good point on Bron picking his battles. That said, i think the much ballyhooed west has lots of depth, but not that much true cream. The Lakers could go anywhere from 8-2...but i'm betting Bron and Ingram is more than most other squads have. The Jazz look like the future team of the west IMO.

I'm about to get shredded for this...but...

Yes, it's the warriors and everyone else...and harden might be the best player in the NBA today...but I think there are 3 east teams, maybe four, who would have a legit shot at a 2nd seed in the west.

This pains me to say...but I think the Celtics have a legit shot at knocking off GS. A shot mind you. I hate how much I love Horford, Tatum and Brown

At least they have Irving...he's easy to dislike.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:46 PM

Now the opposite...

Worst team in the NBA this year? I think it's ATL. Young guards typically struggle, and they really don't look like they have much.

My absolute dream...Sacremento wins the lottery, and that much discussed Boston trade becomes a 26th pick.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:47 PM

Jesus, Jimmy Butler is gonna go and make it weird until he gets the trade, isn't he?

What a dysfunctional mess ruining some important years for KAT.

Whoever gives Butler his max is going to regret it, and sooner rather than later.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Jesus, Jimmy Butler is gonna go and make it weird until he gets the trade, isn't he?

What a dysfunctional mess ruining some important years for KAT.

Whoever gives Butler his max is going to regret it, and sooner rather than later.
PLEASE let it be Miami! I was hoping it would be Boston last year.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:11 AM

Fun starts tonight!

Who you got for individual awards?

I'll go:

MVP - Embiid
COY - Snyder
ROY - Doncic
DPOY - Gobert
6th Man - Siakam
MIP: Ingram

I started to do All-NBA teams, but just picking 2 of LeBron/Durant/Kawhi/Giannis/Davis broke my brain.

Last edited by Jaybee; 10-16-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Fun starts tonight!

Who you got for individual awards?

I'll go:

MVP - Embiid
COY - Snyder
ROY - Doncic
DPOY - Gobert
6th Man - Siakam

I started to do All-NBA teams, but just picking 2 of LeBron/Durant/Kawhi/Giannis/Davis broke my brain.
I don't know the current betting line, but I'd give you 3:1 odds on Embiid winning MVP and feel very good about it.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:16 AM

Maybe even 5:1. I'd put the over-under on games played for Embiid at 63.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Maybe even 5:1. I'd put the over-under on games played for Embiid at 63.

That's better than you'd find at most sports books. It's a wild prediction that's entirely dependent on Jo being healthy, the Sixers being a 55+ win team, and believing that some of the other players who are more popular picks (LeBron, Giannis, Harden, KD/Curry) are either going to be metering their effort, not quite as good as people expect, or not clearly the best player on their own team.

Probably wrong, just throwing it out there.

Who you got?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:27 PM

Giannis Antetokounmpo is my pick for MVP this year. The Bucks could sneak into as high as a 2nd seed in the east. Budenholzer will have them winning the majority of the games they should over inferior opponents. The bucks will likely be behind Boston, Philly and Toronto, but I wouldn't be shocked if they sneak past one or 2 of them for a 2 seed. MVP voters rely heavily on team wins when voting and they love 2 way players.

Jake
Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Beginning of Bulls season will be super-interesting. Jabari Parker absolutely was not a fit in the starting lineup. Not enough D with both him and Zach Levine on the floor. Kudos to Hoiberg for having the guts to bench the big free agent signing, and for dangling the carrot by making him the primary ball handler of the 2nd unit. We will be middle of the pack, but at least we will be interesting. Do not miss Jimmy Buckets one bit.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Beginning of Bulls season will be super-interesting. Jabari Parker absolutely was not a fit in the starting lineup. Not enough D with both him and Zach Levine on the floor. Kudos to Hoiberg for having the guts to bench the big free agent signing, and for dangling the carrot by making him the primary ball handler of the 2nd unit. We will be middle of the pack, but at least we will be interesting. Do not miss Jimmy Buckets one bit.
You're optimistic! Hope you are right - I'm not a fan of any of these teams, but I think the NBA is more interesting as a league when Chicago, NY, LAL are good.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
That's better than you'd find at most sports books. It's a wild prediction that's entirely dependent on Jo being healthy, the Sixers being a 55+ win team, and believing that some of the other players who are more popular picks (LeBron, Giannis, Harden, KD/Curry) are either going to be metering their effort, not quite as good as people expect, or not clearly the best player on their own team.

Probably wrong, just throwing it out there.

Who you got?
I'm heavily biased...but I think Embiid has an excellent chance...

People forget...that Embiid who was so good last year? He didn't get an off season...and he wasn't able to condition at peak. If you saw him this pre-season, you saw what he looks like.

Embiid, healthy, is a two way dominating force that makes everyone around him better on both sides of the ball. Excellent shot at MVP, and he's a much more dominant player than greek freak (and it's really not close).