Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 10:54 AM

Western Vt folks - Riding around Poultney

Headed out of the bos area for a little bit next week and am hoping there are some nice rides around Poultney I can do one of the days. Ill likely be bringing my Evergreen, fendered and itching for a ride.

Staying in an ABnB on Lake St catherine.

Anyone have some decent routes I can look into? Nothing too crazy mainly because Ill be the only rider and will be up with my partner who won't be bringing a bike.

Ill be combing through the RWGPS, Strava and the likes later this weekend, but if any of you fine folks have some better ideas Id be happy to hear from you

cheers all!
Old 03-04-2021, 11:34 AM
extremely tall

For starters go down to Wells then down to Rupert, up over the hill by Merck Forest (stop and check out the farm/have a snack on the deck of their sugar house) down into Dorset (stop at Dorset Union Store) then back up 30 through Pawlet to Poultney.

You can do lots of variations on this if you want to throw some dirt in. Pawlet Mountain Road is a good climb; you could climb up to Danby 4 corners and head north to Wallingford and back to Poultney that way.

Also if you go over to 7 in Mount Tabor, Forest Road 10 over to Landgrove is pretty nice with lots of offshoots to explore.

Edited to add: if you’re going next week, any dirt roads are probably going to be icy in the morning and icy or muddy in the afternoon and probably not too much fun. But the route I mentioned above over the Merck hill should be ok. Also it’s prime sugaring season so if you’re lucky they’ll be boiling at Merck snd you can check it out. Very impressive operation. Www.merckforest.org

Last edited by echelon_john; 03-04-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:23 PM

That's a nice area to ride. Route 30 between Poultney and Dorset is a nice valley ride. Rt 153 is nice. The route to Granville NY is good. Rt 140 over to Wallingford is good, can make a loop going down to Danby 4 Corners and back towards Pawlet and up either to Middletown Springs or from Pawlet up Rt 30.

One area of Pawlet to stay out of, apparently. Check out info about a tactical firing range controversy in some part of town (don't think it's near roads you might be on).
Stay off Rt 30 north of Poultney - too busy and narrow.

Looks like weather will be in your favor next week (which may be why you're doing this now anyway).

PS. if you're thinking dirt road rides, forget it! They are going to be seriously crappy. Very wrong time of year for those rides IMO.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:38 PM
Post Mod-ern

Here's a gravel route . . .

. . . I've ridden before a couple of times. Some nice gravel, big climbs, and great views. I also know enough about the area that we could shortcut it if you don't want to do 44. Come to think of it, it's a bit early in the season for ME to do 44!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34118047

I've got some pics HERE of the first time I rode it in 2019. Not sure about my availability but could possibly go with you depending on the day. I'm itching to get some more miles in on my new Lynskey.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 03-04-2021, 01:53 PM

i was up there last fall, I did a ride leaving from wallingford - west out 140, south 133, east on 24, north on 2 and back to wallingford on 140.

It was a solid ride with more than enough climbing for me, I think this was 40-ish miles and 4000-ish ft climb.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
... east on 24, north on 2...
Have an idea what roads you're talking about, but they're not State numbered roads. There aren't any State roads with those route numbers in that area.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:42 AM
slower than you

Go west/southwest into Washington County, Ny., especially if you like paved/ quality surfaces, although, at this time of year, even a lot of the paved roads are covered in dirt. Avoid 22.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Have an idea what roads you're talking about, but they're not State numbered roads. There aren't any State roads with those route numbers in that area.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:25 PM
Imshi Cycles

sounds like western VT is much like eastern VT in terms of road conditions ha

be ready/wanting for mud if you turn off the pavement onto dirt.

pavement is relatively ok but always areas of melt water that will freeze up overnight...and the road salt/brine that probably only fully leaves the roads in october...just in time to get re-applied ha

enjoy the trip!